Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shady Draft 2.0
We need to resign Adam Jones, Leon Hall, and both of our starting safeties.
We also need to resign Sanu & Marvin Jones

We have to keep the bulk of this team together some way, some how.

We never do anything in free agency so I'm not going to go there.

In the draft, we need to reload/upgrade our front seven. Take a cue from Denver. Rush the damn passer.

1. Sheldon Rankins DT, UofL
2. Bronson Kaufusi DE, BYU
3. Deion Jones OLB, LSU

Each of these three picks would contribute to the above. Rankins and Kaufusi are monsters. Rankins can stop the run, but also rush the passer or at least help create more sacks for Geno. Kaufusi is a power forward on BYU's basketball team. He's a team leader and possesses a motor that won't stop.

We also need to improve the run game. That includes sending a message to J Hill that if he wants a job he has re-earn it. His fumble . . . well, you know.

4. Kenyan Drake, RB, Alabama
5. Evan Boehm C, Missouri

Drake is a great all around back. He could easily take over for Hill, if need be. And Boehm can help create lanes better than Bodine.

6. Malcolm Mitchell WR, Georgia

He might not be there this late, but he's got elite talent if he can stay healthy. I think he's worth a shot in the 6th.

7. Donte Deayon, CB, Boise State

Donte's only 5'9" but he's a real ball hawk who plays much larger than his actual size.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great draft. Really like the first 3.

Hoping for alot on the D side in this draft.
Reply/Quote
I like it i just wish you could have managed to slide Kenneth Dixon in there instead of Drake.
Reply/Quote
I think you're a few rounds early on Kafusi.
Kafusi hasn't really shown much in terms of bend or developed pass rush moves.

He and Oakman are both suited in the 3-5 range based on game film but will likely go high because of their size and likely impressive combines.
Reply/Quote
Drake would be my favorite. Why because Alabama can recruit good running back talent, and Drake hasn't been chewed up and spit out like the other Bama backs in recent history.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 02:09 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Drake would be my favorite. Why because Alabama can recruit good running back talent, and Drake hasn't been chewed up and spit out like the other Bama backs in recent history.

Quietly Mark Ingram has been very good for New Orleans given how low on priority running is there.

Eddie Lacy is very good when he isn't spending too much time at Denny's.  That's a motivation issue not a used up issue.

Really the only issue was Trent Richardson. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:59 AM)Shady Wrote: We need to resign Adam Jones, Leon Hall, and both of our starting safeties.

In the draft, we need to reload/upgrade our front seven. Take a cue from Denver. Rush the damn passer.

3. Deion Jones OLB, LSU

Each of these three picks would contribute to the above. Rankins and Kaufusi are monsters. Rankins can stop the run, but also rush the passer or at least help create more sacks for Geno. Kaufusi is a power forward on BYU's basketball team. He's a team leader and possesses a motor that won't stop.

We also need to improve the run game. That includes sending a message to J Hill that if he wants a job he has re-earn it. His fumble . . . well, you know.

Drake is a great all around back. He could easily take over for Hill, if need be. And Boehm can help create lanes better than Bodine.

He might not be there this late, but he's got elite talent if he can stay healthy. I think he's worth a shot in the 6th.

Donte's only 5'9" but he's a real ball hawk who plays much larger than his actual size.

Really nice draft.   I think I'd prefer to see Glasgow in the 4th if he's there than a RB.   I think Hill rebounds after a tough season - and we have Burkhead and Peerman in reserve.  I hate that we lost Watson to the Browns.  I thought he had a chance to be a great alternative to Hill if Hill went down.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 12:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think you're a few rounds early on Kafusi.
Kafusi hasn't really shown much in terms of bend or developed pass rush moves.

He and Oakman are both suited in the 3-5 range based on game film but will likely go high because of their size and likely impressive combines.

Maybe so, but he impressed me with what I was able to see on YouTube videos (I know, for what they're worth). It's his size, speed, and motor that make him such a high pick. Oakman digressed over time. I have to question the guy's heart. Hopefully, our coaches can develop Kafusi's technique. 

I couldn't pass on a DT in the 1st. Rankins seems to be the most complete player who'd be most likely to be there for us at 24. 

Improving across our front 7 seems like the biggest priority for us. Peko had a great year last season, but he's better when he doesn't have to take as many snaps. And MJ shouldn't take as many snaps as he did last year. Carlos and Geno need help. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I guess the only issue that I have is not addressing the Center position much earlier. I don't like the odds of a 5th rounder taking over for Bodine. If they took one higher, they may be more apt to play him earlier. After all, they traded up to get Bodine (that's all you ever hear from Hobson)
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 03:52 PM)Shady Wrote: Maybe so, but he impressed me with what I was able to see on YouTube videos (I know, for what they're worth). It's his size, speed, and motor that make him such a high pick. Oakman digressed over time. I have to question the guy's heart. Hopefully, our coaches can develop Kafusi's technique. 

I couldn't pass on a DT in the 1st. Rankins seems to be the most complete player who'd be most likely to be there for us at 24. 

Improving across our front 7 seems like the biggest priority for us. Peko had a great year last season, but he's better when he doesn't have to take as many snaps. And MJ shouldn't take as many snaps as he did last year. Carlos and Geno need help. 

I'm a huge Rankins fan. So no complaint there.

I'm just well over taking over-sized non-bend DEs who have no actual pass rush moves early in the draft.
It's a big reason why we need a pass rusher so bad in the first place right now. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 04:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'm a huge Rankins fan. So no complaint there.

I'm just well over taking over-sized non-bend DEs who have no actual pass rush moves early in the draft.
It's a big reason why we need a pass rusher so bad in the first place right now. 

I'd take your top 3, but do you really think Rankins falls that far, even with the knee injury? 

Honestly, Spence looks like just what we need at DE right now. Put him next to Rankins, and our front line could be the best in the NFL. 

Everything changes if we lose a key guy to FA. Pacman, Leon, Iloka, & Reggie must be retained IMHO. As must our WRs. It's a stretch to think we keep all 6 of them, but we're so close to having a team likely to win a ring . .. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:59 AM)Shady Wrote: We need to resign Adam Jones, Leon Hall, and both of our starting safeties.

3. Deion Jones OLB, LSU

Not realistic that we will sign all the players mentioned.  We need to shore up CD/Safeties first before we look at DL.  We had a great year at Defense line compared to the year before.  As for Denver. one of the big reasons they played so well up front was because of the elite play of the back 4.  I going CB/LB/WR in the first 3 rounds. just not sure of order
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2016, 05:11 PM)Shady Wrote: I'd take your top 3, but do you really think Rankins falls that far, even with the knee injury? 

Honestly, Spence looks like just what we need at DE right now. Put him next to Rankins, and our front line could be the best in the NFL. 

Everything changes if we lose a key guy to FA. Pacman, Leon, Iloka, & Reggie must be retained IMHO. As must our WRs. It's a stretch to think we keep all 6 of them, but we're so close to having a team likely to win a ring . .. 

It's hard to say. He doesn't have a ton of tape at DT so it's some projection there (Played DE at Louisville due to injuries). 
Could hamper him some, but I think 15-25 is right around where he should be. 
Reply/Quote
I doubt we are able to re-sign all of our guys but i would love this if we did.

I think either Iloka or Nelson are gone and either MLJ or Sanu are gone, most likely Iloka and MLJ are gone damn it. Whatever

But love this Draft anyway. I think Kaufusi and Deione Jones should be reversed. Kaufusi is more of a project and Deione
is a great athlete at Linebacker that should light up the Combine.

Great Draft Shady but i would take some of these things into consideration.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt we are able to re-sign all of our guys but i would love this if we did.

I think either Iloka or Nelson are gone and either MLJ or Sanu are gone, most likely Iloka and MLJ are gone damn it. Whatever

But love this Draft anyway. I think Kaufusi and Deione Jones should be reversed. Kaufusi is more of a project and Deione

Rock On

Agree with this.   He'll never last to the 87th pick.  Based on the run on LBs last year he may not even be there at 55
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt we are able to re-sign all of our guys but i would love this if we did.

Rock On

I know. Free Agency will dictate our priorities in the draft. I just hope we don't have to seek too many immediate replacements. Keeping our secondary intact ought to be our biggest priority. Shaw and Dennard (if he can stay healthy) could plug some holes but I'd rather not have to plug holes, just upgrade some key positions in the front 7. 
Reply/Quote