Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals To Get Better Look At Senoir Bowl
(01-31-2024, 10:23 AM)Synric Wrote: All I know is Duke was like 5 yards from Guyton for the entire period lol.

(01-31-2024, 10:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A little work with hand placement, and that man will be a very good RT.

I would like a guy with more production who is less raw in the first round. Can't afford more 2-3 year project first round picks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:25 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would like a guy with more production who is less raw in the first round. Can't afford more 2-3 year project first round picks.

See, I've already accepted as a foregone conclusion that the team will be signing a veteran RT to bridge the transition.  I would think it foolhardy to expect a rookie to come right in and flawlessly block NFL pass rushers.

Even the great Penei Sewell needed some development before emerging as the beast that he's been the past two seasons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See, I've already accepted as a foregone conclusion that the team will be signing a veteran RT to bridge the transition.  I would think it foolhardy to expect a rookie to come right in and flawlessly block NFL pass rushers.

Even the great Penei Sewell needed some development before emerging as the beast that he's been the past two seasons.

I would VERY much like a guy who will actually start in the 1st round. We can't afford to get zero (or very little) contribution from our 1st round pick yet again. We're picking 18th. Get a starter.

Reply/Quote
Quick Hits: Senior Bowl Displays Big Men And One Has a Bengals Mentor:

Quick Hits: Senior Bowl Displays Big Men And One Has a Bengals Mentor

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/02/bengals-orlando-brown-helping-draft-prospect-tyler-guyton/

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Quick Hits: Senior Bowl Displays Big Men And One Has a Bengals Mentor:

Quick Hits: Senior Bowl Displays Big Men And One Has a Bengals Mentor

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/02/bengals-orlando-brown-helping-draft-prospect-tyler-guyton/

Looks like roughly 5 wins 5 losses? That's not inspiring for a guy talked about being a late 1st/early 2nd. He got beat QUICK on like 3 of them. Wasn't being pushed around, but didn't seem to have any answer whatsoever for the moves.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Looks like roughly 5 wins 5 losses? That's not inspiring for a guy talked about being a late 1st/early 2nd. He got beat QUICK on like 3 of them. Wasn't being pushed around, but didn't seem to have any answer whatsoever for the moves.

Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:51 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Looks like roughly 5 wins 5 losses? That's not inspiring for a guy talked about being a late 1st/early 2nd. He got beat QUICK on like 3 of them. Wasn't being pushed around, but didn't seem to have any answer whatsoever for the moves.

I counted 7 "wins", 3 "losses" with reps 4, 5 and 9 being losses. Rep 7 would have caused the QB to move so you could count that as a loss if you were being picky. I don't know who he was going up against so i'd have to hear from somoene who knows the players better to see how it would translate to the NFL. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 02:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I counted 7 "wins", 3 "losses" with reps 4, 5 and 9 being losses. Rep 7 would have caused the QB to move so you could count that as a loss if you were being picky. I don't know who he was going up against so i'd have to hear from somoene who knows the players better to see how it would translate to the NFL. 

When I looked at it a couple of day ago I counted 3 losses but there are a couple of more where you could say he allowed pressure.   Even is it is just 3 losses, you dont want your lineman getting beat 30% of the time.   I just dont see the hype with Guyton.  What did he do in these reps to get the 1st round buzz?   Guyton is the kind of offensive lineman the Bengals seem to draft then we wonder why the line isnt that great while Baltimore a few spots behind us will take someone like Darius Robinson with their 1st round pick.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 02:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I counted 7 "wins", 3 "losses" with reps 4, 5 and 9 being losses. Rep 7 would have caused the QB to move so you could count that as a loss if you were being picky. I don't know who he was going up against so i'd have to hear from somoene who knows the players better to see how it would translate to the NFL. 

(02-04-2024, 09:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: When I looked at it a couple of day ago I counted 3 losses but there are a couple of more where you could say he allowed pressure.   Even is it is just 3 losses, you dont want your lineman getting beat 30% of the time.   I just dont see the hype with Guyton.  What did he do in these reps to get the 1st round buzz?   Guyton is the kind of offensive lineman the Bengals seem to draft then we wonder why the line isnt that great while Baltimore a few spots behind us will take someone like Darius Robinson with their 1st round pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-senior-bowl-prospect-offensive-tackle-tyler-guyton-mekhi-becton-nfl-draft

Reply/Quote
Rd1 is almost assuredly gonna be a RT: Latham, Fuaga, Guyton, or Mims.

If they are all gone, then think trade back, WR, CB, or DT.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 09:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-senior-bowl-prospect-offensive-tackle-tyler-guyton-mekhi-becton-nfl-draft

Sauce wants the Jets to pursue Tee: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10106325-sauce-gardner-wants-jets-to-sign-tee-higgins-calvin-ridley-in-2024-nfl-free-agency

What if the J-E-T-S get our prized FA and targeted draft pick?  Hmm
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 03:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Sauce wants the Jets to pursue Tee: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10106325-sauce-gardner-wants-jets-to-sign-tee-higgins-calvin-ridley-in-2024-nfl-free-agency

What if the J-E-T-S get our prized FA and targeted draft pick?  Hmm

They would still screw it up.  

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 09:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: When I looked at it a couple of day ago I counted 3 losses but there are a couple of more where you could say he allowed pressure.   Even is it is just 3 losses, you dont want your lineman getting beat 30% of the time.   I just dont see the hype with Guyton.  What did he do in these reps to get the 1st round buzz?   Guyton is the kind of offensive lineman the Bengals seem to draft then we wonder why the line isnt that great while Baltimore a few spots behind us will take someone like Darius Robinson with their 1st round pick.

Keep in mind that 2.5 seconds is considered a win for pass block win rate.  Every OL at the Senior Bowl has reps where the "QB" is forced to move after that point.

Also keep in mind that these one on one's are highly weighted in the pass rusher's favor, as he has no run or QB contain responsibility, so he basically just gets to do whatever he can get to the QB.  
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 05:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: ...Also keep in mind that these one on one's are highly weighted in the pass rusher's favor, as he has no run or QB contain responsibility, so he basically just gets to do whatever he can get to the QB.  

What happens when we go to an empty set as we do very often and Guyton has to stop someone from getting to the QB like we saw in the 1 on 1 drill?  Dude will get Burrow killed losing like he did in those 1 on 1 drills.  Im not buying the hype.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 10:41 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: What happens when we go to an empty set as we do very often and Guyton has to stop someone from getting to the QB like we saw in the 1 on 1 drill?  Dude will get Burrow killed losing like he did in those 1 on 1 drills.  Im not buying the hype.

I don’t think you have to worry. He’s moved up. . Jim Nagy the well respected head of the senior bowl said this.

Tyler Guyton truly has some freaky stuff to him physically," Nagy said. "This is going to be the start of the Tyler Guyton pre-draft process, the ascension. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up in the top 10 when this whole thing is said and done."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 10:41 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: What happens when we go to an empty set as we do very often and Guyton has to stop someone from getting to the QB like we saw in the 1 on 1 drill?  Dude will get Burrow killed losing like he did in those 1 on 1 drills.  Im not buying the hype.

Every Tackle has loses at the Senior Bowl even Taliese Fuaga you don't evaluate them that way. In fact the Senior Bowl showed Guyton has ALOT higher ceiling as a pass protector than Fuaga. As for empty sets that actually helps the pass protection makes it extremely difficult for defenses to hide blitzes and post-snap rotations. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 11:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would VERY much like a guy who will actually start in the 1st round. We can't afford to get zero (or very little) contribution from our 1st round pick yet again. We're picking 18th. Get a starter.

I would prefer that as well, which is why I was a little disappointed to see Murphy drafted over Mayer or Laporta.
With that said, I do like what Murphy has to (eventually) offer.

If looking to get a 500+ rep rookie in Rd 1, it's going to have to be either WR, RT, TE, or DT, but FA will also impact that.
Unless Bowers is there, there isn't a TE worth taking at 18.
NT I don't think there is one worth taking at 18 either.
If Higgins is tagged, I doubt a WR drafted in Rd 1 would get 500+ snaps as a rookie unless overtaking Jones in the slot.
A 3T likely won't get quite 500 snaps if having to rotate in, but they could get 400.
RT probably wouldn't see much playing time at all as a rookie unless they don't get someone in FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The 1 on 1 drills are entirely in favor of the edge rushers.  They do not have to concern themselves with the possibility of the run and they have endless space on either side of the the blocker.  

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would prefer that as well, which is why I was a little disappointed to see Murphy drafted over Mayer or Laporta.
With that said, I do like what Murphy has to (eventually) offer.

If looking to get a 500+ rep rookie in Rd 1, it's going to have to be either WR, RT, TE, or DT, but FA will also impact that.
Unless Bowers is there, there isn't a TE worth taking at 18.
NT I don't think there is one worth taking at 18 either.
If Higgins is tagged, I doubt a WR drafted in Rd 1 would get 500+ snaps as a rookie unless overtaking Jones in the slot.
A 3T likely won't get quite 500 snaps if having to rotate in, but they could get 400.
RT probably wouldn't see much playing time at all as a rookie unless they don't get someone in FA.

Going on the assumption that Tee is tagged or resigned. I'd say it's most likely we go RT or DT in the 1st round. And just from a who's available numbers game I'd say RT is most likely.

There's just a gazillion things that can and will happen between now and pick #18 on draft day. There's nearly always one sometimes two guys who get picked in the 1st round that nobody had slated as a 1st round pick. Teams reach for needs. Somebody trades up outta the blue to grab a QB they covet. Guys rise and fall from combine and just on and on.

I'm just hoping if we do go RT in the first he's not a 3 year project.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2024, 02:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Going on the assumption that Tee is tagged or resigned. I'd say it's most likely we go RT or DT in the 1st round. And just from a who's available numbers game I'd say RT is most likely.

There's just a gazillion things that can and will happen between now and pick #18 on draft day. There's nearly always one sometimes two guys who get picked in the 1st round that nobody had slated as a 1st round pick. Teams reach for needs. Somebody trades up outta the blue to grab a QB they covet. Guys rise and fall from combine and just on and on.

I'm just hoping if we do go RT in the first he's not a 3 year project.

I like the PFF mock draft:
18: T JC Latham, Alabama
47: TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, Texas

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-mock-draft-senior-bowl
Reply/Quote