Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did our F/O anticipate the KR rule a year early?
I know the idea has been tossed around in the past off seasons but I can't help but wonder if we're not giving this organization a little credit. With the KR rule change there should be an increase in return opportunities (When flags are not being thrown). Last years draft was all about speed and I see 4 more guys drafted this year that could take it to the house. Not to mention UDFA. Of course these young players will have to prove themselves on ST's anyway, and they all won't pan out. But this is one reason why I don't see Erickson, a player that I like making the team.

I'm pretty excited to see several players battle it out in the return game this pre season. I was pulling for B.Wilson before he was injured but I'm curious who you guys are hoping to see back there. I think it's safe to say we have enough options so we don't have to risk injury to Ross or Mixon back there.
Reply/Quote
I think folks are underselling Erickson. The entire return team played poorly last year, not just Erickson. When returners get poor blocking it's tough to pin all the blame on them and coaches know that. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We got flags on every half decent return last year. The Pats cant get Erickson if he had a decent year returning kicks so the refs helped to make him look bad.
Reply/Quote
To me, Erickson is like a loaf of bread laying around when you are grilling out hot dogs. You really want to have a hot dog bun because it would make the hot dog that much better but since all you have is a loaf of bread, you use it.

Long story short, Erickson isn't explosive enough, nor does he have the long speed to be an above average return guy with the new rules. He doesn't have the burst that it will take to find holes now in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 10:47 AM)dr1441 Wrote: To me, Erickson is like a loaf of bread laying around when you are grilling out hot dogs. You really want to have a hot dog bun because it would make the hot dog that much better but since all you have is a loaf of bread, you use it.

Long story short, Erickson isn't explosive enough, nor does he have the long speed to be an above average return guy with the new rules. He doesn't have the burst that it will take to find holes now in my opinion.

Same thing was said about BScott and aside from Adam Jones, he was our best returner since Tremaine Mack.

Cribbs was never the fastest, nor was Adam Jones and they are among the best return men ever; speed is overrated, sometimes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Same thing was said about BScott and aside from Adam Jones, he was our best returner since Tremaine Mack.

Cribbs was never the fastest, nor was Adam Jones and they are among the best return men ever; speed is overrated, sometimes.

Meh, ya you're right about the being our best returner part....... But that does't mean he is actually that good. Definitely in the eye of the beholder, but Erickson, imo, is just average at best with the new set of rules. Maybe under the old set it was easier to get his 20 yards at a time because he was able to make one cut and pick up what he could. 

The new rules aren't going to allow one cut and go because of the blocking. It actually puts a kick and punt returner as a premium position instead of anybody that can pick up 10-15 yards at a time. 
Reply/Quote