Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder

Not a lot of details there... but apparently at some point they turned down a 2nd rounder which, if true, was a stupid move.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'd be interested in knowing when. Had it been before the draft...then they could have drafted a replacement or signed on.

Of course, if they sign a backup...the backup would cost $4-5 million more than McCarron...so they'd essentially be buying that 2nd Round pick in their eyes.

I would have probably drafted Brad Kaaya if I were them and moved on from Driskel.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Not a lot of details there... but apparently at some point they turned down a 2nd rounder which, if true, was a stupid move.

Agreed. If true, it's dumb to turn away. I feel that's the best offer that will have been and will be on the table.
That could have allowed the Bengals to draft an OL in the second round (like Elflein, Pocic, Feeney, Dawkins, or Moton) and taken a QB with the 5th rounder like Kaaya, Peterman, or Kelly.
That's what I would have done anyway.

EDIT - Assuming this offer was before the draft. If it was for a 2018+ draft pick, that changes things.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After this season...there is only a $2.4 million cap hit if the Bengals trade or release Dalton. I wonder if they are keeping McCarron to keep their options open should this season go south?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed. If true, it's dumb to turn away. I feel that's the best offer that will have been and will be on the table.
That could have allowed the Bengals to draft an OL in the second round (like Elflein, Pocic, Feeney, Dawkins, or Moton) and taken a QB with the 5th rounder like Kaaya, Peterman, or Kelly.
That's what I would have done anyway.

EDIT - Assuming this offer was before the draft. If it was for a 2018+ draft pick, that changes things.

I'm assuming it was recent...and maybe by the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
Bengals reportedly want at least a second-round pick for A.J. McCarron

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/bengals-reportedly-want-at-least-a-second-round-pick-for-a-j-mccarron/
Reply/Quote
Should have taken a 2nd rounder for him. Not sure the Bengals would get much more.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
How many times has something like this come up? I'm not going to believe that the Bengals were offered anything unless someone officially comes out and says they did, or the Bengals say they did. Didn't the same thing just happen with the Broncos, and everyone said it was false... for like the 100th time?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm assuming it was recent...and maybe by the Dolphins.

If it was, not sure I'd make that move. It weakens the Bengals for this season. Maybe if the offer comes in again next offseason before the draft, it'd be worth pouncing on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season...there is only a $2.4 million cap hit if the Bengals trade or release Dalton. I wonder if they are keeping McCarron to keep their options open should this season go south
Why would we want to get rid of Dalton? If the season goes south, it won't be because of Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:51 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Why would we want to get rid of Dalton? If the season goes south, it won't be because of Dalton.

Damn rights, and i am with Ocho on this one. If this had happened before the draft it would be different.

Would have to get a 1st rounder at this point in the year...
Reply/Quote
Timing is everything. Curious when the offer was too, but having a legit backup that's capable of keeping a season alive is a pretty nice thing to have that a lot of teams don't. Plus someone mentioned the idea of hanging on to McCarron in case Dalton just flat out sucks it up this year. It's possible, so again it's nice to have him as an option.

I wanted a trade for an extra pick too before/during the draft but now that it didn't happen I don't see any benefit in trading him now. We have insurance for this season and options after the season now. I think that outweighs a second round draft pick at this point. Besides I'm pretty sure I heard a report saying Brown would not settle for anything less than a 1st round pick. Whether we think he's worth it or not, dosent matter much if The report is true.
Reply/Quote
If true.....just another cluster**** decision made by this organization in a very long line of them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season...there is only a $2.4 million cap hit if the Bengals trade or release Dalton. I wonder if they are keeping McCarron to keep their options open should this season go south?

[Image: ShutYourMouth.gif]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After this season...there is only a $2.4 million cap hit if the Bengals trade or release Dalton. I wonder if they are keeping McCarron to keep their options open should this season go south?

Think you hit the nail on the head. It's kind of like an insurance policy for sustainable play this year and next year should Dalton sustain a serious injury. AJ becomes the next franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Nah  McCarron is worth more as a backup than a crap shot 2nd rounder next year...  Especially with OL not looking great yet.

If someone wants McCarron they can pay the asking price.   if they don't want to do that they don't want McCarron.

But if they are naming teams its probly more fake news.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: If true.....just another cluster**** decision made by this organization in a very long line of them.

And leave us with WHO  if Dalton were to get hurt?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Nah  McCarron is worth more as a backup than a crap shot 2nd rounder next year...  Especially with OL not looking great yet.

If someone wants McCarron they can pay the asking price.   if they don't want to do that they don't want McCarron.

But if they are naming teams its probly more fake news.

A player who doesn't play is never worth more than a player who will play.

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to use those words anymore. Lol

(08-10-2017, 04:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And leave us with WHO  if Dalton were to get hurt?

If Dalton gets hurt because of this crap OL, despite his great pre-snap reads and quick release, how would McCarron fare any better than Driskel behind it? Both would lead the team to a losing season, if not get hurt themselves. Then a hurt McCarron won't even get you a 2nd rounder.

Reply/Quote
First the Denver thing now this sounds like someone *cough*agent*cough* is trying to stir up some interest before the preseason starts.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: And leave us with WHO  if Dalton were to get hurt?

(08-10-2017, 04:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: A player who doesn't play is never worth more than a player who will play.

I'm pretty sure we're not allowed to use those words anymore. Lol

If Dalton gets hurt because of this crap OL, despite his great pre-snap reads and quick release, how would McCarron fare any better than Driskel behind it? Both would lead the team to a losing season, if not get hurt themselves. Then a hurt McCarron won't even get you a 2nd rounder.

Leonard pretty well sums it up for me Xeno.  Besides, maybe we could turn that 2nd rounder into a baller on the oline.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote