Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder
Hmm... Not sure if I buy this. Anybody found out if this was recent? I would hope the team wouldn't be stupid enough to turn an offer like that down. McCarron really isn't worth a first round pick and I think every team realizes that. I would say he's not worth a second either. I like the guy a lot but come on now. If he was offered for a second that's kinda a no-brainer.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: AJ has a winning record as a starter in the regular season 

Yes, he does. But, he has a .500 record as a starter overall. And if you count the game he didn't start but played the final 3 and a half quarters, he has a below .500 record.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
AJM played exactly one great half against Denver. The Defense set him up with a short field against SF and he struggled against the Ravens until the second half. The defense also kept us in the game against Pittsburgh.

He isn't that good.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 05:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes, he does. But, he has a .500 record as a starter overall. And if you count the game he didn't start but played the final 3 and a half quarters, he has a below .500 record.

Bengals were already down 10-0 before AJ hit the field in the Pitt game. He came in passed for 280 yards, 2 TDs, and passer rating over 90. I suppose you could put that on AJ if you wanted. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 05:59 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: AJM played exactly one great half against Denver. The Defense set him up  with a short field against SF and he struggled against the Ravens until the second half. The defense also kept us in the game against Pittsburgh.

He isn't that good.

It's crazy how folks breakdown AJ's performances by quarter or half. 

Guess what happens when you bring up the fact that he had a higher passer rating in a playoff game of any Bengal QB since Boomer Esiason?

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 06:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's crazy how folks breakdown AJ's performances by quarter or half. 

Guess what happens when you bring up the fact that he had a higher passer rating in a playoff game of any Bengal QB since Boomer Esiason?

If he is so great where is Mikes first rounder?

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 06:20 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: If he is so great where is Mikes first rounder?

Where did I ever say AJM is great?

Reply/Quote
Seems this story may be real.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-reportedly-turn-down-a-big-trade-offer-for-backup-quarterback-aj-mccarron/

Which actually proves this team is completely incompetent. Pissed

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bengals were already down 10-0 before AJ hit the field in the Pitt game. He came in passed for 280 yards, 2 TDs, and passer rating over 90. I suppose you could put that on AJ if you wanted. 

Nice neglecting to mention the 2 INT he threw as well, one of which was a pick-6, the other was returned to the CIN 16 and was promptly turned into a TD.

They were down 10-0, and they lost 33-20, or by 13. Meaning while AJ was in, they got beat 23-20. Mostly on the back of his two INT.

Then Denver in the first half realized AJ McCarron can't read a zone defense, dropped into that at halftime, and he stayed under 6 YPA for the final three games of the year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why make risky moves and/or wheel and deal picks and players when your job security doesn't depend on your job performance?
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 06:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nice neglecting to mention the 2 INT he threw as well, one of which was a pick-6, the other was returned to the CIN 16 and was promptly turned into a TD.

They were down 10-0, and they lost 33-20, or by 13. Meaning while AJ was in, they got beat 23-20. Mostly on the back of his two INT.

Then Denver in the first half realized AJ McCarron can't read a zone defense, dropped into that at halftime, and he stayed under 6 YPA for the final three games of the year.

INTs are accounted for in his passer rating of over 90. Like I said, you can put the Pitt lose on AJ if you want as he played 3 quarters coming in with a 10 point deficit. Folks do like to break his performances down by quarters/halves for some reason. 

The game after Denver "figured him out" he had a passer rating of 103.9 enroute to beating a tough divisional foe. Why would I care what his YPA was? Never mind, I know.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 06:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where did I ever say AJM is great?

Where did i ever say you thought AJM is great?

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote:
INTs are accounted for in his passer rating of over 90.
Like I said, you can put the Pitt lose on AJ if you want as he played 3 quarters coming in with a 10 point deficit. Folks do like to break his performances down by quarters/halves for some reason. 

The game after Denver "figured him out" he had a passer rating of 103.9 enroute to beating a tough divisional foe. Why would I care what his YPA was? Never mind, I know.

So are his 2 TDs, but you felt inclined to mention them while neglecting the INTs. Wonder why, maybe because they directly led to 12 points. Just like his turnovers in the postseason game directly led to 6 points in a 16-18 game.

Yes, a 103.9 passer rating while throwing for 160 yards at 5.9 yards per attempt and that "tough divisional foe" was 5-10 at the time and starting RYAN MALLETT.

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself. Stooping as far as to call the 5-11 Ryan Mallett Ravens a "tough divisional foe".

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So are his 2 TDs, but you felt inclined to mention them while neglecting the INTs. Wonder why, maybe because they directly led to 12 points. Just like his turnovers in the postseason game directly led to 6 points in a 16-18 game.

Yes, a 103.9 passer rating while throwing for 160 yards at 5.9 yards per attempt and that "tough divisional foe" was 5-10 at the time and starting RYAN MALLETT.

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself. Stooping as far as to call the 5-11 Ryan Mallett Ravens a "tough divisional foe".

Besides trying to mitigate AJ's performance as our starting QB by breaking it down into quarters/halves, introducing YPA as something we should give 2 shits about, you have now introduced the opposing QB as a factor; as if Ryan Mallet had anything to do with the D AJ was facing. If you don't want to consider the Ravens a tough divisional foe regardless who is playing QB that's your choice. We'll se if it remains consistent.

But I'll take your advice and stop embarrassing myself; as you have put me in my place. Bye.

Reply/Quote
Should have pulled the trigger on 2nd round pick.

If AJM is as good as some claim why is he not starting ?

Why has nobody offered a first round pick. There are several Bengals x-coaches who needed a QB at some point this year who were on staff while AJM was here.

Not saying how good he is or not. Hope he is great and does well. But it looks as if we will only find out if injury happens or after he walks to another team.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Not a lot of details there... but apparently at some point they turned down a 2nd rounder which, if true, was a stupid move.

You are incorrect a stupid move would be to trade for a 2nd rounder when you want a first-rounder with no back-up plan we are in no hurry to trade AJ so the only stupid move is to either settle for something less or trade of time when you don't need to or have to trade
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Besides trying to mitigate AJ's performance as our starting QB by breaking it down into quarters/halves, introducing YPA as something we should give 2 shits about, you have now introduced the opposing QB as a factor; as if Ryan Mallet had anything to do with the D AJ was facing.

But I'll take your advice and stop embarrassing myself; as you have put me in my place. Bye.

Yes, I am introducing YPA. It's brand new. I just now made it up. Nobody has EVER used it prior to me in order to help judge QBs.

2016 Leaders: Matt Ryan 1st (9.26), Tom Brady 2nd (8.23)
2015 Leaders: Carson Palmer 1st (8.70), Andy Dalton 2nd (8.42)
2014 Leaders: Tony Romo 1st (8.52), Aaron Rodgers 2nd (8.43)
AJ McCarron season before Broncos Half: 8.31 YPA
AJ McCarron season after Broncos half: 5.24 YPA

I know you love you some McCarron, but they found out he couldn't read the zone, and he sucked after that. Dink and dunk city. Which is really sad considering he had a healthy AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Marvin Jones, Gio Bernard, and a good OL.

Reply/Quote
I still don't understand the debate in this thread. I know there are people who believe McCarron is better than Dalton and should be given a chance to start, but that won't happen. Look at the history of this club and the coaches currently and you'll see that Dalton is going to be the guy.

There are people saying but "what if" Dalton gets hurt. Then the team is screwed with or without McCarron. Driskel...McCarron...doesn't matter. At that point you are bringing in a guy who hasn't been taking 1st team reps and has limited to no timing with the receivers and the team has to run a scaled down version of the playbook.

When (Not IF) when, McCarron leaves this team in FA, and his lawyers are fighting for it to be at the end of this year, the team gets nothing but a Comp pick that will be a later round like a 4th. Holding onto a luxury item for one more season to get a comp pick is just dumb, plain and simple. Look at pitt, they have garbage behind pig and win. Look at New Orleans, nothing behind Brees. Falcons, just in the Super Bowl, and behind Mat Ryan....nope...not a damn thing.

That 2nd rounder, could be an All-Pro, a starter, an instant impact...like...you know Joe Mixon has been. Would you trade McCarron for Mixon? Cause that is basically an easy way to look at this trade. Keeping a guy that is a luxury item instead of making a move to land another impact player....that's dumb.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You are incorrect a stupid move would be to trade for a 2nd rounder when you want a first-rounder with no back-up plan we are in no hurry to trade AJ so the only stupid move is to either settle for something less or trade of time when you don't need to or have to trade

This^^^

I wouldn't have accepted a 2nd rounder for AJ this past summer. Who'd be our back up right now? Ummm....crickets.....that's right right I don't know who out 3rd QB is. That's why we kept AJ for now. Now.....come draft season, and we get offered a 2nd rounder for AJ, I'm jumping on it to secure myself a halfway decent backup. The timing right now just wasn't right. We made the right move keeping AJ.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 08:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I still don't understand the debate in this thread. I know there are people who believe McCarron is better than Dalton and should be given a chance to start, but that won't happen. Look at the history of this club and the coaches currently and you'll see that Dalton is going to be the guy.

There are people saying but "what if" Dalton gets hurt. Then the team is screwed with or without McCarron. Driskel...McCarron...doesn't matter. At that point you are bringing in a guy who hasn't been taking 1st team reps and has limited to no timing with the receivers and the team has to run a scaled down version of the playbook.

When (Not IF) when, McCarron leaves this team in FA, and his lawyers are fighting for it to be at the end of this year, the team gets nothing but a Comp pick that will be a later round like a 4th. Holding onto a luxury item for one more season to get a comp pick is just dumb, plain and simple. Look at pitt, they have garbage behind pig and win. Look at New Orleans, nothing behind Brees. Falcons, just in the Super Bowl, and behind Mat Ryan....nope...not a damn thing.

That 2nd rounder, could be an All-Pro, a starter, an instant impact...like...you know Joe Mixon has been. Would you trade McCarron for Mixon? Cause that is basically an easy way to look at this trade. Keeping a guy that is a luxury item instead of making a move to land another impact player....that's dumb.

I have seen no one state this team would be better off with AJ in this or any recent thread.

If AJM=Driskall then why hasn't anyone offered us a 2nd for Driskall?

It has been shown (not speculated) that when Andy went down AJM kept this team competitive. His only regular season loss was in overtime to the eventual SB champs. And our playoff game was the most competitive since Sam Wyche was HC.

AJM's lawyers wants aside if AJM is considered a restricted FA after this year we can tag him with a 1st or 2nd and get what is currently offered or better and still have the use of his services for this year.

The very folks that are saying this organization is stupid for not pulling the trigger, would be the same ones saying this organization is stupid id AJM went elsewhere, did a serviceable job as a starter, the Bengals are competitive, Andy goes down, and we trot out Jeff Driskall.

Reply/Quote