Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder
(08-11-2017, 11:47 AM)McC Wrote: I don't have much of an opinion about him one way or the other.   Find one statement I ever made expressing love for him.

I've asked this exact question, Apparently if you think AJM is a capable backup and perhaps a QB another team would take a chance on, you have "silly" amount of love for him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 11:22 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Yep, you can put me down for believing the mccarron camp is leaking fabricated information knowing it will shine the spotlight on his play in the coming weeks . Not a bad tactic. I hope he tears all the second stringers a new one this preseason and somebody bites on him. Barring a terrible injury to Dalton he will never be anything here, and as well he shouldn't be.

so yeah, get me a first or second round pick and go somewhere else and be mediocre at best. Thanks!

Also, driskel is just as good as mccarron Ninja

I can promise this is not the case. The McCarron family fully understands no matter what trade offer is presented to the Bengals it will be rejected at this point. This is not a bad thing, just reality and still a blessing to be in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
In a league where Brian frigging Hoyer keeps finding work as a starter, it is completely unfathomable that some team may be interested in AJ Mc..REALLY !!??
Reply/Quote
[quote pid='407941' dateline='1502466884']
In a league where Brian frigging Hoyer keeps finding work as a starter, it is completely unfathomable that some team may be interested in AJ Mc..REALLY !!??
[/quote]

To be fair the only thing McCarron has over Hoyer is age... 

Hoyer 2016 stats - 1445 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 98.0 rating
Hoyer 2015 stats - 2606 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INts, 91.4 rating

Yeah, neither of those are full years, but the stats aren't that bad nonetheless
Reply/Quote
I'd take Hoyer as a backup if we traded McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd take Hoyer as a backup if we traded McCarron.

Same here, would take him over Kaep.
Reply/Quote
Great article today on AJ.. puts a lot into perspective.. totally agree with the Win-Win-Win position on AJ

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/11/walkthru-bengals-and-aj-mccarron-win-win-win/558615001/
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 04:01 AM)A10104747 Wrote: Good morning to all. I hate to say I told you so, but the saying definitely fits this case. Right after the draft was complete I posted on here that the Bengals were offered a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder for McCarron. Everyone on here was telling me how insane I was, didn't make sense, no proof.. well look what's being reported now.
I

The offer was made by the Browns on the second day.

Take it to the bank!!

This is obviously a lie.  If you hated to say it, you wouldn't make a point of saying it.   Do you happen to have any proof. btw?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 01:01 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: [quote pid='407941' dateline='1502466884']

To be fair the only thing McCarron has over Hoyer is age... 

Hoyer 2016 stats - 1445 yards, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 98.0 rating
Hoyer 2015 stats - 2606 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INts, 91.4 rating

Yeah, neither of those are full years, but the stats aren't that bad nonetheless
[/quote]

Honestly we don't really know what Mccarron is, because he has not been given the opportunity to prove who he is one way or the other. Really, AJ has gotten reps as a starter for how many games ?...5 maybe ?...He has not had the opportunity to work through the growing pains and gel with his teammates in real game situations..at least not enough to establish what kind of starter he would be if given a full time gig.

It makes no sense to throw his small sample of numbers up against experienced QBs like Hoyer and Dalton. Now maybe Mccarron gets a gig and makes Hoyer look like Tom Brady, I don't know, but the point is half of the starters in this league are mediocre, and it is within reason to believe that AJM could be good enough to be among them.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 02:12 PM)McC Wrote: This is obviously a lie.  If you hated to say it, you wouldn't make a point of saying it.   Do you happen to have any proof. btw?

Haha,  You busted him on his true intent!  Mission Accomplished!  'obvious lie'!  lol 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 10:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll just have to take those at their word that hate this move; however, would not call the organization stupid if we had a chance to win it all, AJM was doing well elsewhere, Andy went down, and we had to bring in Jeff Driskall to save the season. After all they usually give the organization the benefit of the doubt.

Just like now, when they are calling this move stupid and do not know what 2nd round pick it was. For all we know it was NE looking for a contingency so they could move Jimmy G. for a 1st.

Believe it or not there is a population out there that does not give this organization the benefit of the doubt and will look for the negative in every move they make,

Given Mike Brown's track record, why should they?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Given Mike Brown's track record, why should they?

Because life is too short to always be looking for the clouds. Mike has made some great personnel decisions.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This second round turn down is interesting. I see one of two things that could have happened. 1 Maybe they figure his stock will go up if they keep him around because another team might need a backup QB if their starting QB gets hurt? 2. Maybe they know something we don't know in the trade winds? Wink
Reply/Quote
if he becomes a unrestricted free agent next year then they should have taken the 2nd round pick.

However if it was Browns that offered it then they where right to turn down, if you think there is any chance Mccarron is good starting QB you dont trade him within the division.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 03:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because life is too short to always be looking for the clouds. Mike has made some great personnel decisions.

This isn't life....it's football. Life is too short to be constantly fooled like Lucy and Charlie Brown too. My life is blessed....I don't live and die by the results of my sports teams. I haven't been this happy in my life since childhood....healthy kids....great family...loving wife....great friends that I see all of the time....a lot of them since very early childhood. We have ample shelter ample food....and some luxuries to boot. I love life!

That said....a rattlesnake has done nothing to garner my trust and make me believe it won't bite me if I get close enough. Neither has Mike Brown. Mellow

Reply/Quote
After watching Driskel last night.....if he continues to play like that, they truly are stupid if they turned down a 2nd for #5.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 03:44 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Should have taken a 2nd rounder for him. Not sure the Bengals would get much more.

While I doubt McCarron could fetch a rd 1, that's not the point,really. We want a competent BACKUP to Dalton.   Preseason Game 1, Driskol looked fine (against 3rd string D) but.... we did not know on draft Day.  We HAD a nice supply of picks.

Would a rd 2 have replaced McCarron?  
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 09:22 AM)jaydee_71 Wrote: if he becomes a unrestricted free agent next year then they should have taken the 2nd round pick.

However if it was Browns that offered it then they where right to turn down, if you think there is any chance Mccarron is good starting QB you dont trade him within the division.

Actually...a Brown's #2 is HIGH #2.....I doubt McCarron makes the Browns great.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 09:51 AM)redwood Wrote: While I doubt McCarron could fetch a rd 1, that's not the point,really. We want a competent BACKUP to Dalton.   Preseason Game 1, Driskol looked fine (against 3rd string D) but.... we did not know on draft Day.  We HAD a nice supply of picks.

Would a rd 2 have replaced McCarron?  

Thought he played a little against the 2nds....could be wrong though. That said...had some nice throws...and some nice runs.  Looked good enough to be a serviceable back up to me. 

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 10:15 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Believe it or not there is a population out there that does not give this organization the benefit of the doubt and will look for the negative in every move they make,

Can you really say they haven't earned their "Wrong until proven right" reputation?  I could see Mike Brown turning down all but the most slam dunk of trades because shifting the roster during the season is a pain in the ass and it's not like he's going to lose his job if he makes a wrong move anyways.  Why bother?

(08-11-2017, 10:58 AM)bfine32 Wrote: It's because they have stated that AJM is garbage and no one would offer us anything more than a 4th-5th for him, So when they se an insider such as Albert Breer say not only did a team offer a 2nd, the Bengals decided that was not enough; it chips away from their narrative. 

I have no reason to assume Albert Breer would make up such a thing. Could he? Sure. Why would he?..........

On the one hand, the NFL media hates us and never talks about us...preferring to discuss the most mundane aspects of the Cowboys/Packers/Steelers/Patriots endlessly.  On the other hand, the NFL media just can't stop making up rumors about trade offers made for our backup QB.  Something doesn't add up.

My conclusion?  Offers were made, but it's easier to just follow the status quo and stay the course.  Risky moves and trades are for teams with GMs that have their performance linked to their employment status.

(08-12-2017, 09:22 AM)jaydee_71 Wrote: However if it was Browns that offered it then they where right to turn down, if you think there is any chance Mccarron is good starting QB you dont trade him within the division.

This makes sense, but honestly I'm sick of the Browns handing the Steelers and Ravens a grand total of 4 wins per year.  I'm not saying we should actively help them get better, but the fact that they are a total joke seems to hurt us more than it helps. 
Reply/Quote