Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Turned down Jack Del Rio
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/14/18225354/bengals-jack-del-rio-nfl-news-rumors-zac-taylor

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
And they may live to regret it (for a year or two).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 06:42 PM)Okeana Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/14/18225354/bengals-jack-del-rio-nfl-news-rumors-zac-taylor

Yeah this needs to be said more often as others have been stating falsely everyone is turning us down.

Not true.

(02-14-2019, 06:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: And they may live to regret it (for a year or two).

Could be, he was my favorite option but evidently Zac didn't think he fit what he was wanting for some reason.

I am going to trust in the new coach until he fails.
Reply/Quote
It makes no sense. JDR worked in Denver with a lot of the guys Taylor hired or wanted to hire (Kubiak and Brian Callahan in particular). He was the DC in Denver before Wade Phillips, who Sean McVay hired as his "experienced DC". On paper, JDR looked like the perfect hire. Instead, Dennis Allen was apparently the #1 target. How in the world did we think we were going to steal him from the Saints?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It makes no sense. JDR worked in Denver with a lot of the guys Taylor hired or wanted to hire (Kubiak and Brian Callahan in particular). He was the DC in Denver before Wade Phillips, who Sean McVay hired as his "experienced DC". On paper, JDR looked like the perfect hire. Instead, Dennis Allen was apparently the #1 target. How in the world did we think we were going to steal him from the Saints?

Yep, I don't get it either ? Perhaps ZT just didn't want any kind of power struggle with a veteran DC former HC ?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I don't get it either ? Perhaps ZT just didn't want any kind of power struggle with a veteran DC former HC ?

Maybe? It's impossible to say. The fact that they only talked over the phone seems to imply that it was never all that serious, for whatever reason.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 09:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It makes no sense. JDR worked in Denver with a lot of the guys Taylor hired or wanted to hire (Kubiak and Brian Callahan in particular). He was the DC in Denver before Wade Phillips, who Sean McVay hired as his "experienced DC". On paper, JDR looked like the perfect hire. Instead, Dennis Allen was apparently the #1 target. How in the world did we think we were going to steal him from the Saints?

He seems to be targeting guys that won't challenge him.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 10:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seems to be targeting guys that won't challenge him.
You have taken assumption to a grand new level.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
They should perhaps test the waters again with JDR and see if he can't be swayed.  The pickings are beginning to look kind of slim.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 08:24 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: They should perhaps test the waters again with JDR and see if he can't be swayed.  The pickings are beginning to look kind of slim.

Him being swayed is not the point, the Bengals turned him down....
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 10:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He seems to be targeting guys that won't challenge him.

One only needs to look no further than Cleveland last year to see what happens when an OC and a DC are both undercutting the HC in a ploy to get the head job....
Reply/Quote

At the time, Dennis Allen was not under contract IIRC.  Seems they extended him after the postseason.  Don't hold me to it, but I think that was the case.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: At the time, Dennis Allen was not under contract IIRC.  Seems they extended him after the postseason.  Don't hold me to it, but I think that was the case.

You are right. Allen re-upped on superbowl Sunday after interviewing for the dolphins HC position. If that was Zac's #1 choice, I can see how that threw a wrench in the plan
Reply/Quote
Just saw this on Twitter along with the reasoning for why Grantham turned down the Bengals opportunity.
Grantham turned down because of the "aging core" and "lack of LBs." Apparently, he didn't think the defense was in a good enough place to be successful quickly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:14 AM)Sled21 Wrote: One only needs to look no further than Cleveland last year to see what happens when an OC and a DC are both undercutting the HC in a ploy to get the head job....

BountyGate 2.0?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: BountyGate 2.0?

I suspect the actions of Williams and Haley are a big part of why Williams was not offered the HC job....both knew Hue was a short timer, and were trying to get that position.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just saw this on Twitter along with the reasoning for why Grantham turned down the Bengals opportunity.
Grantham turned down because of the "aging core" and "lack of LBs." Apparently, he didn't think the defense was in a good enough place to be successful quickly.

I think this kind of nails why we're not matching up with the former head coach/veteran DC types for the DC job. DCs in the NFL usually only last 2 years. If they are successful, they get a HC job. If they aren't, teams shuffle the deck and bring someone else in. It's going to take at least 2 years to transition what we have to a top 10 defense. 

In retrospect, probably would have been smart to save the cap space and only extend one of Geno or Dunlap last year with the uncertainty of Marvin. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:08 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I think this kind of nails why we're not matching up with the former head coach/veteran DC types for the DC job. DCs in the NFL usually only last 2 years. If they are successful, they get a HC job. If they aren't, teams shuffle the deck and bring someone else in. It's going to take at least 2 years to transition what we have to a top 10 defense. 

In retrospect, probably would have been smart to save the cap space and only extend one of Geno or Dunlap last year with the uncertainty of Marvin. 

If the team was in Win-Now mode (which you would assume they wanted to be by extending Marvin), it made sense to extend both Atkins and Dunlap. I think Mike Brown either already thought or was convinced by someone that the Bengals could be a true contender in 2018, only to find out it all backfired due to injuries and lack of depth or just pure good players in certain positions.

I would assume Grantham (and other candidates who have turned down the opportunity) asked about how they would be able to upgrade the defense (especially the LBs) and didn't like the answer given.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the team was in Win-Now mode (which you would assume they wanted to be by extending Marvin), it made sense to extend both Atkins and Dunlap. I think Mike Brown either already thought or was convinced by someone that the Bengals could be a true contender in 2018, only to find out it all backfired due to injuries and lack of depth or just pure good players in certain positions.

I would assume Grantham (and other candidates who have turned down the opportunity) asked about how they would be able to upgrade the defense (especially the LBs) and didn't like the answer given.

If you ask me, it says a lot about the guy's confidence in his own abilities.  Hey Taaaad, if we had a loaded defense, we probably would not be looking for a new DC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:27 PM)McC Wrote: If you ask me, it says a lot about the guy's confidence in his own abilities.  Hey Taaaad, if we had a loaded defense, we probably would not be looking for a new DC.

Or Grantham was already in a really good position at Florida so it would have taken a truly ideal scenario to get him to move. And when he determined it wouldn't be an ideal scenario, he decided to stay where he was at. No shame in that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote