Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Turned down Jack Del Rio
(02-16-2019, 04:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Technically, I think you could say Joseph turned them down. But, he was interviewed for the HC job prior to Taylor, didn't get the job and apparently wasn't interested in just being the DC here. 

Since Taylor was named head coach...

Allen re-signed with Saints.
Mutual interest wasn't there with Del Rio & Capers.
Pleasant reportedly has interview, but no info about it.
Grantham got raise and extension from Florida to return.
Glenn was blocked for interviewing.
Halfey declines because of his commitment to OSU.

So far, only one guy has actually been offered the job.

It's been reported that they have interest in Elko, Nolan and Manuel as well, but so far it doesn't appear they've talked to any of them - or put in a request in Nolan's case.

My point is that these guys are declining. Being out bid by a college team is a decline, the guy said no. The reason for the no isn't relevant really. The quantity of the no's is relevant and what is a bit alarming. A decline to interview is a decline, even though the team never got a chance to even make an offer. Of course we don't know that the team would have made an offer, as they had no chance to not make one.

I'll stay with my current team (Saints, Florida, Buckeyes) is a no.

These reports sure do make it sound like the Bengals made an offer to Capers:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/6/18211119/dom-capers-declines-bengals-offer-per-report
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Dom-Capers-Bengals-defensive-coordinator-job--128832205/

Glenn being blocked is not a decline. The guy wasn't allowed to make a choice.

The other guys had choices, even if it was to not interview at all.

This is not hate on Taylor. Pointing out a red flag is not hate, just as pointing out Andy Dalton's playoff stats isn't hate on Andy. It's just what is.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 06:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: My point is that these guys are declining. Being out bid by a college team is a decline, the guy said no. The reason for the no isn't relevant really. The quantity of the no's is relevant and what is a bit alarming. A decline to interview is a decline, even though the team never got a chance to even make an offer. Of course we don't know that the team would have made an offer, as they had no chance to not make one.

I'll stay with my current team (Saints, Florida, Buckeyes) is a no.

These reports sure do make it sound like the Bengals made an offer to Capers:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/6/18211119/dom-capers-declines-bengals-offer-per-report
https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Dom-Capers-Bengals-defensive-coordinator-job--128832205/

Glenn being blocked is not a decline. The guy wasn't allowed to make a choice.

The other guys had choices, even if it was to not interview at all.

This is not hate on Taylor. Pointing out a red flag is not hate, just as pointing out Andy Dalton's playoff stats isn't hate on Andy. It's just what is.

We don't know what reasons coaches have for declining interviews...

Allen was re-upped with the Saints, we didn't have a chance with him.

Capers is old, wouldn't matter what team it was.

Sorry having a hard time believing this team is just a disease no one wants to be apart of.

And i don't understand why some fans want to believe such.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 06:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We don't know what reasons coaches have for declining interviews...

Allen was re-upped with the Saints, we didn't have a chance with him.

Capers is old, wouldn't matter what team it was.

Sorry having a hard time believing this team is just a disease no one wants to be apart of.

And i don't understand why some fans want to believe such.

You are correct, we don't know the reason for all the declines.

The Bengals as a team and organization is one thing. Taylor is the other. We know the Bengals and their defensive personnel pretty well. We do not know Taylor very well at all.

But, I have never seen a team have such a hard time filling a coordinator spot before. Has anyone ever seen this happen for a coordinator spot before?

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 06:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You are correct, we don't know the reason for all the declines.

The Bengals as a team and organization is one thing. Taylor is the other. We know the Bengals and their defensive personnel pretty well. We do not know Taylor very well at all.

But, I have never seen a team have such a hard time filling a coordinator spot before. Has anyone ever seen this happen for a coordinator spot before?

Since more than one of them were blocked by their current teams, that does say something about the level of guys they were targeting.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:12 PM)McC Wrote: Since more than one of them were blocked by their current teams, that does say something about the level of guys they were targeting.

Yeah, but it's not the ones being blocked that generate the red flag, it's volume of declines.

I hope we find the right guy. I hope the problem is not Taylor or his personality. We don't really know him though.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 07:21 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, but it's not the ones being blocked that generate the red flag, it's volume of declines.

I hope we find the right guy. I hope the problem is not Taylor or his personality. We don't really know him though.

It does seem like most of the declines have come from guys with jobs they don't want to leave.  There really haven't been a bunch of guys without jobs saying no.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 06:48 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You are correct, we don't know the reason for all the declines.

The homers aren't going to agree that all of these guys declining is a bad sign. After 27+ years of no playoffs...you'd think reality would hit them.

The fact is...other teams in the NFL don't have this amount of declines. It's a gigantic red flag.

At minimum we're targeting the wrong guys and not appropriately assessing our ability to lure a coach here as our DC. Like really, you think Dennis Allen would leave the Saints?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The homers aren't going to agree that all of these guys declining is a bad sign. After 27+ years of no playoffs...you'd think reality would hit them.

The fact is...other teams in the NFL don't have this amount of declines. It's a gigantic red flag.

At minimum we're targeting the wrong guys and not appropriately assessing our ability to lure a coach here as our DC. Like really, you think Dennis Allen would leave the Saints?

I agree, it was a pipe dream to think they could lure Allen away from the Saints. Having said that, what's wrong with at least taking a shot -- just in case?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree, it was a pipe dream to think they could lure Allen away from the Saints. Having said that, what's wrong with at least taking a shot -- just in case?

I'd say take a shot on 1 or 2 of them, but then you should have a guy you know for sure is coming.

It's becoming a national joke now and perception is reality. This could hinder free agents from wanting to come here.

My big concern is we're talking to 3-4 guys. 4-3 guys. It really appears there was no plan or if there was a plan it's being poorly executed.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 12:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: True. It looks like we don't even know what system we want to run. If so, that's pretty pathetic.

I believe 3/4 v. 4/3 isn’t a major factor for the DC. If everyone remembers Taylor’s wants from his coaching staff is they need to be aggressive, positive, teach and innovative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thank you for facts Holic, getting sick of the lies on here hating on our new HC...

Or fake news

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 10:02 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I believe 3/4 v. 4/3 isn’t a major factor for the DC.  If everyone remembers Taylor’s wants from his coaching staff is they need to be aggressive, positive, teach and innovative.  

Yes - but you'd think that he'd examine our personnel and decide which scheme fits best. We have terrible LB's. A 3-4 puts more of them on the field.

That said, if he was like 'We're going to move to a 3-4.' Then that's one thing. He's bringing in guys that coach both systems.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 10:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The homers aren't going to agree that all of these guys declining is a bad sign. After 27+ years of no playoffs...you'd think reality would hit them.

You aren't helping spreading this fake news about all of these guys declining. All these guys either were blocked or were paid more by their employers or simply did not fit what Taylor wants.

(02-17-2019, 10:02 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I believe 3/4 v. 4/3 isn’t a major factor for the DC. If everyone remembers Taylor’s wants from his coaching staff is they need to be aggressive, positive, teach and innovative.

Exactly and there are so many options in both facets of those Defenses. We would have to run a single gap 3-4 and it would be possible with a few additions. We can play a hybrid of this to go along with a 4-2-5 Defense and always transition to a 4-3 when it is plausible. Some act like it is just one or the other.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You aren't helping spreading this fake news about all of these guys declining. All these guys either were blocked or were paid more by their employers or simply did not fit what Taylor wants.

Exactly and there are so many options in both facets of those Defenses. We would have to run a single gap 3-4 and it would be possible with a few additions. We can play a hybrid of this to go along with a 4-2-5 Defense and always transition to a 4-3 when it is plausible. Some act like it is just one or the other.

I'll ask you, IF the Patriots called Grantham and asked him to be their DC, do you think he'd go back to Florida?

Yes, Aaron Glenn was blocked by the Saints. That's even kind of out of the ordinary for a team to block an assistant from taking a higher level job. Probably because we tried to steal Dennis Allen.

A team with no playoff wins in 27+ years isn't exactly a preferred landing spot of coaches with a lot of options.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll ask you, IF the Patriots called Grantham and asked him to be their DC, do you think he'd go back to Florida?

Yes, Aaron Glenn was blocked by the Saints. That's even kind of out of the ordinary for a team to block an assistant from taking a higher level job. Probably because we tried to steal Dennis Allen.

A team with no playoff wins in 27+ years isn't exactly a preferred landing spot of coaches with a lot of options.

I'd say teams block assistants because they see their potential and don't want another team to harvest that potential.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll ask you, IF the Patriots called Grantham and asked him to be their DC, do you think he'd go back to Florida?

Probably not but that is the Patriots and Florida did give Grantham a raise...

The main reason we haven't won a Playoff game in that long of a time is mostly coaching.

This might change how and we have BEEN to the Playoffs quite a bit over the last decade, so we had our chances.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 08:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably not but that is the Patriots and Florida did give Grantham a raise...

The main reason we haven't won a Playoff game in that long of a time is mostly coaching.

This might change how and we have BEEN to the Playoffs quite a bit over the last decade, so we had our chances.

I don't know that we can pin it ALL on coaching.

We're a team without many scouts. We don't have a GM. There are a lot of factors.

For all we know, we overachieved some of these years. We will see I guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'll ask you, IF the Patriots called Grantham and asked him to be their DC, do you think he'd go back to Florida?

How the hell did we try to steal Allen?

As to the NE question: Who knows; whose the big name DC they hired? If you were to ask me if I wanted to take over the 32nd D or the 1st D I might pick the 32nd, because I've got nowhere to go but up. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say take a shot on 1 or 2 of them, but then you should have a guy you know for sure is coming.

It's becoming a national joke now and perception is reality. This could hinder free agents from wanting to come here.

My big concern is we're talking to 3-4 guys. 4-3 guys. It really appears there was no plan or if there was a plan it's being poorly executed.

What's the point in doing interviews if you already know who you are going to hire?  It's safe to say they could have Pleasant if they wanted, but obviously he interviewed poorly.

I think we would all like the position filled, but we need the right guy.  Jay Gruden was a nobody from the UFL who didn't get hired until February 3rd who had to install an offense with a rookie QB and OTA's wiped out by a lockout.  He did ok.  
Reply/Quote
I have just gotten information from a member inside the Bengals administration that they just found a potential person to interview for the bengals DC Job. He has HC experience, ran a defense without a defensive coordinator in the last leg of the season, and has good connections inside the Brown family. He owns a home somewhere around Cincinnati, so getting him here isn't a struggle. That person is Marvin "L"ewis. Making this type of joke for my 10th post on this forum is beyond questionable.
Reply/Quote