Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Vs. Browns 2004. This could be our offense
And...it could be our defense.

Great highlights. The offensive line of that team was much better than what they have today, but the weapons were pretty similar. Rudi had a huge game, and I could see teams in nickel getting gashed by Mixon if the line has improved.

https://www.facebook.com/bengals/videos/855474702007263/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 12:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And...it could be our defense.

Great highlights. The offensive line of that team was much better than what they have today, but the weapons were pretty similar. Rudi had a huge game, and I could see teams in nickel getting gashed by Mixon if the line has improved.

Hmmmm

Gonna need a much better o-line if cincy is gonna replicate that semi consistently
Reply/Quote
The speed of the game has changed so much since then. I was watching these highlights yesterday and the change in how linebackers are built is astounding. You used to need a thumper, now you need a guy who can cover with quick feet.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 12:37 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And...it could be our defense.  

Great highlights.  The offensive line of that team was much better than what they have today, but the weapons were pretty similar.  Rudi had a huge game, and I could see teams in nickel getting gashed by Mixon if the line has improved.

I doubt we see a game like that with our Safeties and their pass rush. Just hope we are much better at stopping the run this 
season. If we can stop their run game and get after Mayfield we can beat these guys. We protect Burrow as well and open up
some holes and we could have some damn good battles. The Stains are finally not that doormat anymore that is for sure.

OL needs to improve, I think it will for us with our additions this Offseason. We could put up a lot of points.

Just hope we can run the ball, Rudi had a great game as you say. Nice stiff arms and ran hard. Just hope Mixon can see some
holes like that this year as this is my biggest question on Offense, run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I doubt we see a game like that with our Safeties and their pass rush. Just hope we are much better at stopping the run this 
season. If we can stop their run game and get after Mayfield we can beat these guys. We protect Burrow as well and open up
some holes and we could have some damn good battles. The Stains are finally not that doormat anymore that is for sure.

OL needs to improve, I think it will for us with our additions this Offseason. We could put up a lot of points.

Just hope we can run the ball, Rudi had a great game as you say. Nice stiff arms and ran hard. Just hope Mixon can see some
holes like that this year as this is my biggest question on Offense, run blocking.

I think what gives me the most optimism on offense is the improvements on the line, the offensive line coach, and the addition of Chase.  Should be very high-powered.

Stopping the run will not be easy in our division, but this defense SHOULD be vastly improved over last year's sieve that had street guys in the middle for much of the season.  I am really hoping Shelvin excels in NFL training and diet and makes an impact as a rookie.  I don't see him as a penetrator, but he can push the pocket and eat up double teams allowing the likes of Reader, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, etc to get after opposing QBs.  

It was also nice to hear that our kicker crushed his opening day.  I think we lost at least two games due to Fat Randy last year.  
Reply/Quote
One of things that seen in that video and was commonplace
With those Palmer teams from 04-06 was the explosive plays
On 1st down.
I think this offense needs to get back to play action on 1st down.
Nothing puts a defense back on its heels faster is a 30 40 yd gain
On 1st down to start a,drive from inside your own 30.
17 years later offense are much more using horizonal
Plays to widen the safeties thus resulting in bigger
Running lanes and TEs being able to attack the seams
KWash was fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes easy to forget how pretty Palmer's deep ball was.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 03:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sometimes easy to forget how pretty Palmer's deep ball was.

And Chad always being open  Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 01:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think what gives me the most optimism on offense is the improvements on the line, the offensive line coach, and the addition of Chase.  Should be very high-powered.

Stopping the run will not be easy in our division, but this defense SHOULD be vastly improved over last year's sieve that had street guys in the middle for much of the season.  I am really hoping Shelvin excels in NFL training and diet and makes an impact as a rookie.  I don't see him as a penetrator, but he can push the pocket and eat up double teams allowing the likes of Reader, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Ossai, etc to get after opposing QBs.  

It was also nice to hear that our kicker crushed his opening day.  I think we lost at least two games due to Fat Randy last year.  

Yeah, our weapons could be even better then that 04' team. Chase is like Chad, Boyd is like Housh and Tee might even give
this Offense the nod over them. No doubt Mixon is more talented than Rudi was, but Mixon just doesn't have THAT OL. Not 
expecting us to be THAT good this year but we should improve dramatically. That was one hell of an O-Line in 04'-06.

If we can stay healthy I agree we will be much better than last year stopping the run and getting after the passer by a long
shot. Reader, Shelvin, Tupou, Hubbard, Hendrickson, Kareem, Sample etc.

That is much better than Covington, Xavier Williams and Lawson with a hurt Hubbard lol

And yeah, McPherson could be a great Kicker for us.
Reply/Quote
Rudi, Rudi, Rudi!!!!

I just looked it up, the dude had 202 yards rushing and 2 TD's that game. I think too many people forget about old Rudi. You get a lot of the Chad and Carson talk; TJ gets his love from time to time; Big Willie gets his shine. But Rudi doesn't seem to get brought up enough.

Over a 4 year stretch he averaged 1,295 yards and 11 TD's. And the first year of that stretch he only started 5 games. Dude was a beast.
Reply/Quote
We do not have an o-line capable of that.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Rudi, Rudi, Rudi!!!!  

I just looked it up, the dude had 202 yards rushing and 2 TD's that game.  I think too many people forget about old Rudi.  You get a lot of the Chad and Carson talk; TJ gets his love from time to time; Big Willie gets his shine.  But Rudi doesn't seem to get brought up enough.

Over a 4 year stretch he averaged 1,295 yards and 11 TD's.  And the first year of that stretch he only started 5 games.  Dude was a beast.

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Rudi, Rudi, Rudi!!!!

I just looked it up, the dude had 202 yards rushing and 2 TD's that game. I think too many people forget about old Rudi. You get a lot of the Chad and Carson talk; TJ gets his love from time to time; Big Willie gets his shine. But Rudi doesn't seem to get brought up enough.

Over a 4 year stretch he averaged 1,295 yards and 11 TD's. And the first year of that stretch he only started 5 games. Dude was a beast.

To prove your point... Joe Mixon was called undoubtedly more talented than Rudi in the post above yours. I for one have my doubts that he is.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sheesh. Getting lit up by Kelly Holcomb like that was pretty embarrassing.

Offense looked amazing.
Reply/Quote
Im hoping we are more of the 2015 Bengals, that was the most explosive and balanced offense and the defense was tough to score on (2nd in least points scored). If Dalton does not go down, very likely we break all scoring records (we were averaging 27.8 points a game before Dalton got hurt, he was on pace for 33 TDs and over 4,200 yards), we spread the ball around to AJ, Jones, Gio and Eiffert We had two headed Running attack in Hill and Gio that combined had over 1,500 yards and 13 TDs.... We had a solid line though but not as good as 04/05 team.
Reply/Quote

I just looked it up, the dude had 202 yards rushing and 2 TD's that game.  I think too many people forget about old Rudi.  You get a lot of the Chad and Carson talk; TJ gets his love from time to time; Big Willie gets his shine.  But Rudi doesn't seem to get brought up enough.

Over a 4 year stretch he averaged 1,295 yards and 11 TD's.  And the first year of that stretch he only started 5 games.  Dude was a beast.

Also a different era, too.

In 2020 only 8 RBs ran for 1,000+ yards. Only 2 ran for 1,200+ yards.
In 2004 those numbers were 18 and 10.

There were as many 1,300+ yard RBs in 2004 as there were 1,000+ yard RBs in 2020.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
3 Johnsons and a Big Willie!!! I still have the shirt somewhere....
Reply/Quote

And they never really used him in the passing game, but he was a very reliable, tough-to-tackle, back for a good period of time.  
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, our weapons could be even better then that 04' team. Chase is like Chad, Boyd is like Housh and Tee might even give
this Offense the nod over them. No doubt Mixon is more talented than Rudi was, but Mixon just doesn't have THAT OL. Not 
expecting us to be THAT good this year but we should improve dramatically. That was one hell of an O-Line in 04'-06.

Looking back, here is the starting offensive line for the 2005 season:

Levi Jones, 3rd season, 10th overall pick
Eric Steinbach, 2nd season, 33rd overall pick
Richie Braham, 11th season, 76th overall pick
Bobbie Williams, 4th season, 66th overall pick
Willie Anderson, 9th season, 10th overall pick

Now, the obvious stud on that line is Willie Anderson, and Riley Reiff, although also a first round pick, is not a viable comparator to Willie.  Reiff is a solid veteran presence at a very important position, though.  I view him as a bit of the Bobbie Williams of the line.  A solid veteran that was signed in FA.

Levi Jones was a very good LT for several years before an odd disappearing act.  Jonah could be every bit as good as Levi, if he can stay healthy.

The LG position, with Steinbach, has to look better than anything we have right now.  Everyone seems to like Spain, but he didn't grade out near Steinbach's consistent performances.  If you compare Carman to Steinbach, though he will be playing the other side, he was also a 2nd round pick and has a ton of upside.  I think Carman is going to be a real find and I liked him a lot when I found he played through that herniated disc to try and win a National Championship, rather than opt for surgery and be ready for the combine/Pro Days.  There is no doubt he is bigger and stronger than Steinbach.

At Center, we have the warrior vet known as Richie Braham.  Hopkins is a solid, slightly above average center, but Braham was a tough leader in the middle.

RG was the previously mentioned Bobbie Williams who was big, road-grading veteran that was a great addition to the line.  Here is to hoping Carman can be that addition.  
Reply/Quote

3 Johnson's and a Big Willie.
Reply/Quote