Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals WR/TES vs Seahawk secondary
This is one match-up in game 1 where the Bengals
Even without AJ Green should be able to have
A distinct advantage.
The Legion of Doom isn't around anymore.
Flowers and Griffith aren't exactly lock down CBers.
Earl Thomas is gone.
The 2 Tylers should be able to get open and move
The sticks.
I wouldn't be surprised even if the Hawks had a
Blown coverage.
I'm curious to see how Damion Willis responds
To expectations.
And last but not least.....Joe Mixon might abe to
Do some damage in the flat and underneath
Reply/Quote
We shall see. Not having Green really shifts how teams defend us.

Boyd is going to get doubled I suspect.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 12:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We shall see. Not having Green really shifts how teams defend us.

Which is why we really need Willis to step up huge and make a big play early. Heck may work to our advantage with Willis, I wouldn’t imagine their as familiar with Willis as they are with Green. The unknown can make a team over compensate more then they normally would opening up dare I say our run game. Damn that was tough to say. I would throw early to the rookie, it’s gonna make or break him. Hope it’s not too much for him.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 12:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We shall see. Not having Green really shifts how teams defend us.

If they double Boyd, Willis, Eifert and Ross (if he is healthy) all get single coverage unless they play a lot of zone, but if they zone, we can overload  side or the middle to cause coverage nightmares. But, only if OL holds up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I hope to see a lot of two TE sets to help with run/pass blocking but also to make their presence felt on quick stuff along with Boyd and then Ross having a couple high impact big plays. It will help so much if Ross can stay healthy and take that third year WR leap forward. Getting him going early will make that happen.
Reply/Quote
The strength of the Seahawk D is their DEs and LBs. I'd expect the Bengals to do a lot of out route timing patterns, double moves, deep throws, and run dives as the game plan. Sweeps, screens, and bubble screens will probably get eaten up. Lots of RB chipping.
Reply/Quote
The key will be Eifert attacking the seams on Sunday. We might throw some Ross in the slot and attack down the seams as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If they double Boyd, Willis, Eifert and Ross (if he is healthy) all get single coverage unless they play a lot of zone, but if they zone, we can overload  side or the middle to cause coverage nightmares. But, only if OL holds up.

Sick
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:46 AM)Yogo Wrote: The strength of the Seahawk D is their DEs and LBs.  I'd expect the Bengals to do a lot of out route timing patterns, double moves, deep throws, and run dives as the game plan.  Sweeps, screens, and bubble screens will probably get eaten up.  Lots of RB chipping.

Not sure there will be time for a lot of double move routes and deep patterns to develop, versus a team that makes it's living on the pass rush.

I would think that would have a better chance of beating the blitz, by sending two deep on the same side, and then having a 3rd route filling that void left in the underneath space.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 01:59 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We might throw some Ross in the slot and attack down the seams as well.

So you're conceding the win to Seattle??? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So you're conceding the win to Seattle??? Hilarious

Ross' bread and butter should be the short slant.  A chance to get the ball in motion, make a move, and find the open space.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 12:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We shall see. Not having Green really shifts how teams defend us.

I think Seattle will be dead-set to stop the run and short routes and dare the Bengals (Dalton) to hold on to the ball and try to go down the field.  
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ross' bread and butter should be the short slant.  A chance to get the ball in motion, make a move, and find the open space.

I think if a man to man defense, Ross's bread and butter is 5 to 7 yard crossing routes. If zone, I agree.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Seattle will be dead-set to stop the run and short routes and dare the Bengals (Dalton) to hold on to the ball and try to go down the field.  

I don't disagree they will try and stop the run, but my guess is they think they can do that playing straight up with no run blitz or safety in the box. If they over commit to the run, they are vulnerable on the back end, especially right down the middle which is where AD is most accurate in my opinion.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 10:57 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't disagree they will try and stop the run, but my guess is they think they can do that playing straight up with no run blitz or safety in the box. If they over commit to the run, they are vulnerable on the back end, especially right down the middle which is where AD is most accurate in my opinion.

I can bet one, if not both, of their safeties will be up in the box.  Carroll will bet Dalton won't have time to beat them over the top.  And he will stuff the run.  He won't allow a team to run on him.  
Reply/Quote
Crowd noise is going to be a factor at arguably the loudest place to play in the league, especially for an O-line that hasn't played together. I expect Dalton to be under a lot of pressure. How many false start/holding penalties do we see?
Reply/Quote
The Hawks have a solid front 7 with the addition of Clowney. The Bengals will have to get hats on their linebackers to be able to run or run screens.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 11:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: This is one match-up in game 1 where the Bengals
Even without AJ Green should be able to have
A distinct advantage.
The Legion of Doom isn't around anymore.
Flowers and Griffith aren't exactly lock down CBers.
Earl Thomas is gone.
The 2 Tylers should be able to get open and move
The sticks.
I wouldn't be surprised even if the Hawks had a
Blown coverage.
I'm curious to see how Damion Willis responds
To expectations.
And last but not least.....Joe Mixon might abe to
Do some damage in the flat and underneath

Yeah, stands out to me as well. I could see us carving them up underneath.

Sample, Uzi and hopefully Eifert and especially Mixon and Boyd could shred them.

Then send Willis or Ross (if healthy) deep. Their Safeties are not once they once were as you noted.

They have some good LB'ers though. Post routes could be their undoing.
Reply/Quote
So, let's clear up a couple things real quick. First the Seahawks run almost exclusively cover 3. What that means is they aren't playing Boyd any different, and you aren't going to see double teams except due to a pattern matching check (A double on the backside out of trips for example). Now to attack the cover 3 defense we will need to attack the seams. In cover 3 the FS is kind of the linchpin and with Earl Thomas gone that creates an opening for us to attack. Look for Boyd out of the slot and Eiffert to go vertical often, this will either force their linebackers to cheat back to help giving us openings underneath or will allow for chunk plays to the aforementioned guys.

While we are at it, as bad as our offensive line is on paper the Seahawks secondary is equally as bad. No I'm serious, PFF has them graded as the 31st best unit in the league. If there was ever a game for Willis to start it is this one as Janoris Jenkins who he torched against NYG is as good if not better than who he will be seeing this weekend.

Next, the Seahawks D line isn't a pass rushing nightmare like people would have you believe. Reed is suspended in the middle Ansah has only had one productive season in the last three years and while Clowney has the big name Carlos Dunlap only has 1 less sack over the last three seasons.Our pass rush is far superior to the Seahawks and it really isn't close. Because the interior should be fine you can slide help to either tackle as needed and use a back or a TE to chip the other.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 08:20 AM)Au165 Wrote: So, let's clear up a couple things real quick. First the Seahawks run almost exclusively cover 3. What that means is they aren't playing Boyd any different, and you aren't going to see double teams except due to a pattern matching check (A double on the backside out of trips for example). Now to attack the cover 3 defense we will need to attack the seams. In cover 3 the FS is kind of the linchpin and with Earl Thomas gone that creates an opening for us to attack. Look for Boyd out of the slot and Eiffert to go vertical often, this will either force their linebackers to cheat back to help giving us openings underneath or will allow for chunk plays to the aforementioned guys.

While we are at it, as bad as our offensive line is on paper the Seahawks secondary is equally as bad. No I'm serious, PFF has them graded as the 31st best unit in the league. If there was ever a game for Willis to start it is this one as Janoris Jenkins who he torched against NYG is as good if not better than who he will be seeing this weekend.

Next, the Seahawks D line isn't a pass rushing nightmare like people would have you believe. Reed is suspended in the middle Ansah has only had one productive season in the last three years and while Clowney has the big name Carlos Dunlap only has 1 less sack over the last three seasons.Our pass rush is far superior to the Seahawks and it really isn't close. Because the interior should be fine you can slide help to either tackle as needed and use a back or a TE to chip the other.

Excellent analysis and spot on. However, what concerns me about the Seattle pass rush isn't so much about them as it is about the Bengals O-line. You have a unit that hasn't played together with a rookie LG, a new RG, a part-time C, and possibly a backup LT if Glenn can't go. Factor in the crowd noise in Seattle that may make them a half step slower off the ball and you might have a recipe for disaster. 
Reply/Quote