Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Bengals Will Be Just Fine For 2023 Season
The Bengals main goal is to reign Burrow and next year probably Chase, because you want both long time. The LSU Connection. So they are making money moves to keep both.

So it would be easy to panic over Free Agency and The Draft as a Fan after all the bad years of this franchise. However going to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years tells me Coach Taylor has his system working, and even Semi-GM Tobin and Front Office of Brown Family are doing better.

I assume Bengals will lose some fan favorites, but most of the team will be back. Think of the Patriots dynasty years. The salary cap forced Patriots to keep changing some players, but for years they kept Brady and Gronk and most of the team together for many Super Bowl runs. They had to give up big name fan favorites and try to replace them, but The System stayed in place. So the Coach Taylor System will stay in place, and most of the key players.

I do not know how Bengals will look after Free Agency losses and Cuts, and any Veterans added and of course new players out of college. I know anybody added will be who they think fits Coach Taylors System, a system that is working and winning, So Bengals should be just fine in September for another Play-Off run.

Don't worry too much, Bengals will be fine. GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey CigarWho DeyTiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:37 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals main goal is to reign Burrow and next year probably Chase, because you want both long time. The LSU Connection. So they are making money moves to keep both.

So it would be easy to panic over Free Agency and The Draft as a Fan after all the bad years of this franchise. However going to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years tells me Coach Taylor has his system working, and even Semi-GM Tobin and Front Office of Brown Family are doing better.

I assume Bengals will lose some fan favorites, but most of the team will be back. Think of the Patriots dynasty years. The salary cap forced Patriots to keep changing some players, but for years they kept Brady and Gronk and most of the team together for many Super Bowl runs. They had to give up big name fan favorites and try to replace them, but The System stayed in place. So the Coach Taylor System will stay in place, and most of the key players.

I do not know how Bengals will look after Free Agency losses and Cuts, and any Veterans added and of course new players out of college. I know anybody added will be who they think fits Coach Taylors System, a system that is working and winning, So Bengals should be just fine in September for another Play-Off run.

Don't worry too much, Bengals will be fine. GO BENGALS

Tiger Who Dey CigarWho DeyTiger

Great post. I don’t think it resonates with several that it’s a different situation for the franchise. Being fiscally responsible is the only way to make this work. We don’t need to look at our situation and be so cap strapped that we whine,whimper, and ***** like Brandon Beane did after losing to us. Baltimore is smart and DeCosta for relenting. The bottom line is better to be smart now than screwed down the road.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:37 PM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals main goal is to reign Burrow and next year probably Chase, because you want both long time.  The LSU Connection. So they are making money moves to keep both.

So it would be easy to panic over Free Agency and The Draft as a Fan after all the bad years of this franchise.  However going to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years tells me Coach Taylor has his system working, and even Semi-GM Tobin and Front Office of Brown Family are doing better.

I assume Bengals will lose some fan favorites, but most of the team will be back.  Think of the Patriots dynasty years.  The salary cap forced Patriots to keep changing some players, but for years they kept Brady and Gronk and most of the team together for many Super Bowl runs.  They had to give up big name fan favorites and try to replace them, but The System stayed in place.  So the Coach Taylor System will stay in place, and most of the key players.  

I do not know how Bengals will look after Free Agency losses and Cuts, and any Veterans added and of course new players out of college.  I know anybody added will be who they think fits Coach Taylors System, a system that is working and winning,  So Bengals should be just fine in September for another Play-Off run.

Don't worry too much, Bengals will be fine.  GO BENGALS

Tiger  Who Dey CigarWho DeyTiger

For sure and Lou who will be able to add some more players that fit his system. Exciting times to be a Bengals fan to say the least.

We will see how it shakes out, but I love the trajectory of this team under Zac, Lou, Duke and the FO have been doing some good
things. We have Burrow and will keep Tee, Wilson and Chase I am sure. Just have to make sure there on no holes in the OL in front
of Burrow and our RB's and like Joe said the window will be open his entire career. Heck, even without a good OL Burrow can take
us to a Super Bowl, he already has lol
Reply/Quote
We need a f*****g Right Tackle like nobody’s business. Then we are going to be fine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Of course we will be fine.

We have been to two straight AFC title games, almost winning both. We have Burrow for 2 more years on his rookie deal, and $35 mil in cap space. We have 5 FA who figure to start if retained (Bates, Bell, Pratt, Apple, Hurst). The most expensive of which we wisely drafted a replacement for last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 07:59 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: We need a f*****g Right Tackle like nobody’s business. Then we are going to be fine.

We also need a left tackle.  I mean, Jonah Williams?  NFL leader in sacks allowed.  We are going to act like he is not a problem and just roll with him protecting Burrow's blind side?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 09:22 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We also need a left tackle.  I mean, Jonah Williams?  NFL leader in sacks allowed.  We are going to act like he is not a problem and just roll with him protecting Burrow's blind side?

Apparently so, as the team picked up his 5th year option, but that was coming off of a decent season in 2021.  Now, an injury to each knee later, they're stuck paying him $12M.  I'm really beginning to not like that CBA policy of the team having to decide on the 5th year option, prior to the 4th season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Offensive line improvements, stay healthy, I see no reason why they should not succeed.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 09:22 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We also need a left tackle.  I mean, Jonah Williams?  NFL leader in sacks allowed.  We are going to act like he is not a problem and just roll with him protecting Burrow's blind side?

This is my thoughts exactly. Williams flat out sucked across the board. He gets bull rushed way too easy and the injuries made it even more apparent.
Reply/Quote

We got 12 million in Williams and a 2nd round pick in Carman they can hold down LT between them this year. Pick up someone next year if Carman is not the future at LT after this year plays out.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 07:59 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: We need a f*****g Right Tackle like nobody’s business. Then we are going to be fine.

We also need better pass rush a hobbled Kermit the frog was able to stand in the pocket and throw the whole game in the KC playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Not gonna lie. The cap confuses me and it's not something I've really paid a lot of attention to. But the Bengals do seem to be behind the curve when it comes to some of the tools that are at there disposal. I've just been seeing things like the Bengals were 3rd in most cap space and now are 16th after all the restructuring teams have done. Also saw that the Packers created more space than the Bengals have by restructuring 3 contracts. I just think with all the talk of paying Bates or not handcuffing ourselves was irrelevant if we could've worked it out to negate his cap hit if needed. I'm just worried about losing a big piece of our good secondary and saw a tweet about a potential browns free agency that include Bates ( please please don't have a free agency where bates goes to Cleveland ).
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:33 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not gonna lie. The cap confuses me and it's not something I've really paid a lot of attention to. But the Bengals do seem to be behind the curve when it comes to some of the tools that are at there disposal. I've just been seeing things like the Bengals were 3rd in most cap space and now are 16th after all the restructuring teams have done. Also saw that the Packers created more space than the Bengals have by restructuring 3 contracts. I just think with all the talk of paying Bates or not handcuffing ourselves was irrelevant if we could've worked it out to negate his cap hit if needed. I'm just worried about losing a big piece of our good secondary and saw a tweet about a potential browns free agency that include Bates ( please please don't have a free agency where bates goes to Cleveland ).

I’d expect GB is preparing for life after Aaron Rodgers. I’m sure they are going to have a huge cap hit when he bolts. Restructuring deals is just kicking the can down the road as another poster so cutely posted.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I think Carman put Williams on notice he's coming after the position. Williams better get it together this off season and put on some more weight and strength, or he will be relegated to the swing backup tackle position and Carman will start at LT. That can't help but make them both better, so let's see who puts in the work this off season.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Carman put Williams on notice he's coming after the position. Williams better get it together this off season and put on some more weight and strength, or he will be relegated to the swing backup tackle position and Carman will start at LT. That can't help but make them both better, so let's see who puts in the work this off season.

I’m rarely critical of the staff but I sure think they baby the OL. Callahan on Jonah to right tackle not being likely wasn’t encouraging. I’m not a big supporter of sending messages to players via the press but sometimes it’s needed. Zac praises the OL every chance he gets. They’ve not drafted well. It’s a fact.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Carman put Williams on notice he's coming after the position. Williams better get it together this off season and put on some more weight and strength, or he will be relegated to the swing backup tackle position and Carman will start at LT. That can't help but make them both better, so let's see who puts in the work this off season.

The Carman situation is frustrating.

He did everything you could ask of him at the most critical time of year.  

This occurred in a season where he was a healthy scratch more than once.  It really calls the OL coach and his ability to evaluate talent into question.  The guy not only held his own, but was extremely physical and a willing mauler in the run game.  Did not fit the narrative of a lazy fat guy that didn't like football that hung around his neck since the minute he got here.  This dude rode the bench behind Adeniji.  I just don't get it.

I get that it's 2 games, but this team is starving for capable young OL.  Failing to find a place for him is discouraging.  What's also discouraging is that he's going into year 3 and will be extension-eligible as Higgins is right now.  How are they supposed to evaluate Carman when he's on the bench?  

How pissed would you be if this guy sits behind Jonah, the anointed starter for another season, due to size of contract only?  How pissed would you be if he walks after his rookie deal only to sign with another team and look like he did in the playoffs while the Bengals continue to toil trying to find homegrown OL talent?

People clamor for McGlinchey as a RT candidate. MicGlinchey is basically a rich man's Jonah Williams. Jonah has played the right side. I feel like the team is missing an opportunity to maximize the in-house talent by leaving Jonah at LT. That move makes the biggest offseason need a non-need.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:33 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m rarely critical of the staff but I sure think they baby the OL. Callahan on Jonah to right tackle not being likely wasn’t encouraging. I’m not a big supporter of sending messages to players via the press but sometimes it’s needed. Zac praises the OL every chance he gets. They’ve not drafted well. It’s a fact.

I get that Jonah is playing for a contract, but this team is trying to win a title.  They're as close as they've been in their history.  That's a bit more important to me than Jonah's next contract and whether or not he gets paid like a left tackle.

On the upside, though, if Williams doesn't play his ass off this year, he's going to find himself in the same position as Isaiah Wynn.  He'll be a "capable" but not great tackle that has injury history.  If things don't improve from last season, he won't get close to the deal he's playing on now.  

Jonah is the luckiest player in Cincinnati.  He can be the most average to below average tackle in the league, and he still looks like gold after the Ogbuehi/Fisher nightmare.  The Bengals have been so bad at drafting tackles that they're petrified to lose a guy of Jonah's caliber.  Bad place to be when you're main focus is protecting a guy that will likely be the best player in the history of your franchise.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 11:52 AM)samhain Wrote: The Carman situation is frustrating.

He did everything you could ask of him at the most critical time of year.  

This occurred in a season where he was a healthy scratch more than once.  It really calls the OL coach and his ability to evaluate talent into question.  The guy not only held his own, but was extremely physical and a willing mauler in the run game.  Did not fit the narrative of a lazy fat guy that didn't like football that hung around his neck since the minute he got here.  This dude rode the bench behind Adeniji.  I just don't get it.

I get that it's 2 games, but this team is starving for capable young OL.  Failing to find a place for him is discouraging.  What's also discouraging is that he's going into year 3 and will be extension-eligible as Higgins is right now.  How are they supposed to evaluate Carman when he's on the bench?  

How pissed would you be if this guy sits behind Jonah, the anointed starter for another season, due to size of contract only?  How pissed would you be if he walks after his rookie deal only to sign with another team and look like he did in the playoffs while the Bengals continue to toil trying to find homegrown OL talent?

People clamor for McGlinchey as a RT candidate. MicGlinchey is basically a rich man's Jonah Williams. Jonah has played the right side. I feel like the team is missing an opportunity to maximize the in-house talent by leaving Jonah at LT. That move makes the biggest offseason need a non-need.

(03-11-2023, 12:02 PM)samhain Wrote: I get that Jonah is playing for a contract, but this team is trying to win a title.  They're as close as they've been in their history.  That's a bit more important to me than Jonah's next contract and whether or not he gets paid like a left tackle.

On the upside, though, if Williams doesn't play his ass off this year, he's going to find himself in the same position as Isaiah Wynn.  He'll be a "capable" but not great tackle that has injury history.  If things don't improve from last season, he won't get close to the deal he's playing on now.  

Jonah is the luckiest player in Cincinnati.  He can be the most average to below average tackle in the league, and he still looks like gold after the Ogbuehi/Fisher nightmare.  The Bengals have been so bad at drafting tackles that they're petrified to lose a guy of Jonah's caliber.  Bad place to be when you're main focus is protecting a guy that will likely be the best player in the history of your franchise.

Spot on…all counts!!!!! Couldn’t agree more!
Reply/Quote
I still feel Pollack needs to go.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 12:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I still feel Pollack needs to go.

Maybe.  I mean, he's better than Turner.

The Bengals, particularly Taylor seem to know what they are doing.  They make some mistakes and learn on the fly.  

One mistake they need to learn from is continuing to hire bad to so-so OL coaches.  

They will undoubtedly invest an insane amount of money in offensive skill players throughout the Burrow era.  There won't be a lot of wiggle room in the cap to patch holes on the OL with established free agents.  They are not stellar at drafting OL.  

I'd find the best OL coach that fits the scheme and pay him whatever he wants within reason.  There's no cap on coaches, and the impact is significant.  We need a guy that can develop players and pick the right guys for the scheme.  Stop moving guys all over the place from natural positions.  It's a shitty practice that puts them upside down in the long run.  I get that there are needs, but it gets silly seeing it all the time.

Pollack is as good as the players he's given.  He was great in Dallas because he had studs all over the line.  He's not likely to get guys like that here.  He's going to have to make them, and idk if he can.
Reply/Quote