Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals, Zeitler won't reach an extension
Not shocking considering the way the market has went -- multiple $10 million per year contracts getting done now -- but now it's official. They'll wait until the spring.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Given DeCastro's contract ($50mil - even if he's not worth it), I have a hard time seeing this happening. Let's hope Westerman can replace Zeitler and that we can draft a competent backup.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bummer but I am sure happy we got Westerman
Reply/Quote
Queue the "mike brown is cheap" narrative.

Reply/Quote
Not surprising.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Ten mil seems expensive, but clearly there are examples out there.

Geno signed for five years 53 mil.
Carlos got five years 39 mil.

Is Zeitler worth that?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 05:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Not shocking considering the way the market has went -- multiple $10 million per year contracts getting done now -- but now it's official. They'll wait until the spring.

we will see if Big Z is about the $$$$ or the team and winning... 

Boiling signed a very decent contract.   But if it came down to paying Dre and eifert or Z  Dre and Eifert get the nod.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 05:52 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Ten mil seems expensive, but clearly there are examples out there.

Geno signed for five years 53 mil.
Carlos got five years 39 mil.

Is Zeitler worth that?

Yes, he is. He's one of the best offensive guards out there and he's only 26 years old.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we end up signing him in March before free agency begins.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The recent interior ol deals (namely DeCastro) probably wrenched the wheel.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 05:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we will see if Big Z is about the $$$$ or the team and winning... 

Boiling signed a very decent contract.   But if it came down to paying Dre and eifert or Z  Dre and Eifert get the nod.

I could see Eifert but Dre?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, he is. He's one of the best offensive guards out there and he's only 26 years old.

I just really don't see it. He's good-not-great. Can't see him as one of the best.

2015: 23rd in YPC.
2014: 12th in YPC
2013: 27th in YPC
2012: 20th in YPC

The run game has never been super efficient or all that great, other than a stretch at the end of 2014. I can't really call to mind any games where Zeitler has absolutely just destroyed people all day long. (I saw DeCastro do it to the Bengals.) He has zero Pro Bowls, he has zero 1st or 2nd Team All-Pros. I am not even certain he's the best guard on the Bengals' OL. I've seen games where Boling was just a monster pulling and destroying people.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Pretty cool nugget concerning Big Z:

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, he is. He's one of the best offensive guards out there and he's only 26 years old.

And after we win the SB he's going to get a hefty paycheck.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:41 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Pretty cool nugget concerning Big Z:

Holic with the doublepost. Lol

Yeah, cool stat, just wish he was the road grating OG in the run game that he was drafted to be.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:37 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The recent interior ol deals (namely DeCastro) probably wrenched the wheel.

Aaaand I just realized this same exact thing was pretty much covered in the op. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Holic with the doublepost. Lol

Yeah, cool stat, just wish he was the road grating OG in the run game that he was drafted to be.

Why you so down on Zeitler?  He really is in the upper 1/3 of OG in the NFL, he's worth a top 10 contract.

Btw, it's road grader.  A grater is what you use to shred cheese...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I just really don't see it. He's good-not-great. Can't see him as one of the best.

2015: 23rd in YPC.
2014: 12th in YPC
2013: 27th in YPC
2012: 20th in YPC

The run game has never been super efficient or all that great, other than a stretch at the end of 2014. I can't really call to mind any games where Zeitler has absolutely just destroyed people all day long. (I saw DeCastro do it to the Bengals.) He has zero Pro Bowls, he has zero 1st or 2nd Team All-Pros. I am not even certain he's the best guard on the Bengals' OL. I've seen games where Boling was just a monster pulling and destroying people.

I hate to go all MLA on you here, but could you share your source?

Also, see the position breakdown in the link below. I can't seem to reconcile the stats you're using with PFF's grading.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/backfield-breakdown-bengals/

For what it's worth, these cash rich teams are blowing up the guard market.  But I don't see 10 better right guards.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why you so down on Zeitler?  He really is in the upper 1/3 of OG in the NFL, he's worth a top 10 contract.

Btw, it's road grader.  A grater is what you use to shred cheese...

Grader, grater.. meh. Maybe I want him to shred the defenses in the run game. Lol

I'm not down on him, I think he's a good player and I say that every time, I just don't think he's a great player. If you're in the top 1/3rd of OG, that means you're in the top 20-21. That doesn't scream top-10 contract to me.

I think Zeitler is basically the Michael Johnson of the OL. He does well, he's a good player, but he's not someone who's great, and he's not worth breaking the bank over.

(09-09-2016, 07:07 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I hate to go all MLA on you here, but could you share your source?

Also, see the position breakdown in the link below. I can't seem to reconcile the stats you're using with PFF's grading.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/backfield-breakdown-bengals/

For what it's worth, these cash rich teams are blowing up the guard market.  But I don't see 10 better right guards.

ESPN, if you look at the team rushing stats, it shows their YPC and you can order it from top to bottom.

Just because someone spent $17m/yr on Olivier Vernon, doesn't mean I want the Bengals to start paying their good-not-great players ridiculous amount of money, too.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Grader, grater.. meh. Maybe I want him to shred the defenses in the run game. Lol

I'm not down on him, I think he's a good player and I say that every time, I just don't think he's a great player. If you're in the top 1/3rd of OG, that means you're in the top 20-21. That doesn't scream top-10 contract to me.

I think Zeitler is basically the Michael Johnson of the OL. He does well, he's a good player, but he's not someone who's great, and he's not worth breaking the bank over.

ESPN, if you look at the team rushing stats, it shows their YPC and you can order it from top to bottom.

Just because someone spent $17m/yr on Olivier Vernon, doesn't mean I want the Bengals to start paying their good-not-great players ridiculous amount of money, too.

Good point, I mean top 1/6.  As I forgot to include 64 OG.  But, that is nit picking.  Show me 10 OG that are clearly better rated in overall game, run + pass blocking combined, and I'll concede that he's not worth the money.  Furthermore, I really think that you have to consider that he's had Cook/Bodine to his left and on again off again Andre Smith/pot luck to his right.  He has been the only rock steady individual right of Center.  He's worth the contract for his position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote