Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals, Zeitler won't reach an extension
(09-09-2016, 09:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, well I've gotta different take on this. Sure the DeCastro deal set the tone and Zietler has a case for getting top tier G money, but the last time the team was in this situation with a guard it punted. Boling's contract is not top tier money and is for $26M for 5 years. That's basically half the money DeCastro got.

The Bengals wouldn't pay Eric Steinbach at the end of the 2006 season and he signed with the Browns. Steinbach apparently was looking for a deal similar to the deal signed the year before by Steve Hutchinson which was a 7 year $49M deal, which was top tier guard money and is still a decent contract for a G even 10 years later.

I'm fairly sure we drafted Westerman to make Zietler expendable.

The Steinbach situation was a little different.  They basically had to make a choice to pay either the starting LT or the LG.  

I don't see a good reason why we can't keep him:

Ced is on a rookie deal
Bodine is on a rookie deal
Boling is on a very reasonable deal ($5 million per)
Boyd, Lafell, Core, Ericsson all on very cheap deals
Gio on a decent deal
Hill on a rookie deal

We pretty much have everyone locked up besides Dre (who, in my opinion, is the guy that walks as he hasn't performed up to the level of a $10 million corner) and Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 11:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Steinbach situation was a little different.  They basically had to make a choice to pay either the starting LT or the LG.  

I don't see a good reason why we can't keep him:

Ced is on a rookie deal
Bodine is on a rookie deal
Boling is on a very reasonable deal ($5 million per)
Boyd, Lafell, Core, Ericsson all on very cheap deals
Gio on a decent deal
Hill on a rookie deal

We pretty much have everyone locked up besides Dre (who, in my opinion, is the guy that walks as he hasn't performed up to the level of a $10 million corner) and Eifert.
Dre isn't getting a payday from anyone (except maybe the Raiders) because he hasn't proved himself yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 11:34 PM)treee Wrote: Dre isn't getting a payday from anyone (except maybe the Raiders) because he hasn't proved himself yet.

Tell that to some of these teams that are laying out $10 million per year for guys like Janoris Jenkins.

It looks like we will have $29 million in cap space with the following major free agents:

Whitworth
Eifert
Zeitler
Dre

That's enough to get them all done if we want.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 11:36 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Tell that to some of these teams that are laying out $10 million per year for guys like Janoris Jenkins.

It looks like we will have $29 million in cap space with the following major free agents:

Whitworth
Eifert
Zeitler
Dre

That's enough to get them all done if we want.

I think it all comes down to whether Whitworth decides to retire or not. I'm hoping we can get a ring for him so he can leave while he is on top, ya know?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 11:38 PM)treee Wrote: I think it all comes down to whether Whitworth decides to retire or not. I'm hoping we can get a ring for him so he can leave while he is on top, ya know?

Big sexy 77, isn't going anywhere until the Bengals bring home that trophy.
[Image: forumpic2.jpg]
When I die, I will get to shake Mr. Paul Browns hand and hear him say "Damn, you never stopped believing, did you?"
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 09:17 PM)bengalsfan73 Wrote: I think this will get done sometime in March because both sides did agree to table the talks until after the season which is positive. I think they will franchise him if they cannot get him resigned so that they can have more time to negotiate a deal. I think it would definitely be a mistake to let him walk because no matter what some people believe, he is a top guard in the league. He is arguably the most important player on the offensive line outside of Whitworth. I do like the idea of moving Westerman to center next season if need be because I am still not sold on Bodine.
I dont see the franchise tag being an option for Z. The tag for a guard is the same as tackles. If we dont want to pay top 5 guard money. Top 5 tackle money is out of the question.
Reply/Quote
This is going to be an important year for the young OL on this team. They need to see what they have in the two young tackles, Westerman and Bodine. If you don't get as much out of those guys as you project, Zeitler may get a better offer just to keep stability, especially with Whit unsigned. One of the three tackles could move to guard and Westerman could play center if need be as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 06:30 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, he is. He's one of the best offensive guards out there and he's only 26 years old.

Agree.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
IMO you got to get the deal done. Don't let Big Z hit the market
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 07:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Good point, I mean top 1/6.  As I forgot to include 64 OG.  But, that is nit picking.  Show me 10 OG that are clearly better rated in overall game, run + pass blocking combined, and I'll concede that he's not worth the money.  Furthermore, I really think that you have to consider that he's had Cook/Bodine to his left and on again off again Andre Smith/pot luck to his right.  He has been the only rock steady individual right of Center.  He's worth the contract for his position.

I agree with Sunset. I hope we re-sign Zeitler even if it is a lot of dough.

Does depend on how big of a contract of course and how good Westerman 
plays but still what Sunset say here cannot be denied by most.
Reply/Quote
ITT, people who think 10 million is too much for a guard
Reply/Quote