Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals add Zach Gentry
I still wish they would have added a veteran safety to the practice squad just in case. Someone younger than 31 who can step in on D if needed (Thomas is a special teams ace - as is Scott).

I like this pick up tho.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
There's a reason why Pittsburgh moved
On from him and a superior talent
In Darnell Washington.
Gentry is another JP Foshi.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 01:50 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No such thing as a, "wasted PS spot," when the PS is now 90 million players.

And Pryor? Really? Quit living in the past, man ...

I would rather have a 4.3 WR that has shown an ability to make big plays vs a mediocre TE that lacks pass catching ability that is going to be used as a blocker.  If you are going to use a guy as an additional blocker just stick another offensive lineman out there.
Reply/Quote
Looks like a guy that will get called up if Sample gets hurt solid blocker and looks smoother catching the ball then Sample. Will fight for a 53 man spot next year if he does not make that jump this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure why anyone would be excited about this move.

Dude is extremely pedestrian.
Runs a 4.9.
It's reflected in his paltry career 7.8 YPR.
Did horrible in every single athletic drill at the Combine.
https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=19118
Gentry is much more equipped to block. He's not much of a dynamic receiving threat.

I'm far more excited about Tanner Hudson as a potential call-up.

(09-06-2023, 01:18 PM)impactplaya Wrote: There's a reason why Pittsburgh moved
On from him and a superior talent
In Darnell Washington.
Gentry is another JP Foshi.

I'm not sure anyone is "excited". I will say that many Steelers fans on Twitter really liked him and that they would be very concerned about this had they not drafted Darnell Washington. The Steelers do not have a TE3, they actually utilize their FB instead (Heyward).

The negativity here is seemingly unwarranted and Im not sure who gives a crap about any NFL player's RAS score 5 years ago?

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 03:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm not sure anyone is "excited". I will say that many Steelers fans on Twitter really liked him and that they would be very concerned about this had they not drafted Darnell Washington.  The Steelers do not have a TE3, they actually utilize their FB instead (Heyward).

The negativity here is seemingly unwarranted and Im not sure who gives a crap about any NFL player's RAS score 5 years ago?

Because it sets an athletic baseline, and it typically drops off from there?
I care about those things, so that's at least one person.
I mentioned his athletic scores because he's not fast or agile at all for a TE, and most people want a TE who is more than just a checkdown/RZ guy and a blocker.

I get your point that it's about what he's done on the field since joining the NFL but you're not going to get much from stats/highlights of his in the NFL because he hasn't done much.
Across 40 games in 4 years, he's had just 39 receptions for 303 yards (7.8 YPR).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 03:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Because it sets an athletic baseline, and it typically drops off from there?
I care about those things, so that's at least one person.
I mentioned his athletic scores because he's not fast or agile at all for a TE, and most people want a TE who is more than just a checkdown/RZ guy and a blocker.

I get your point that it's about what he's done on the field since joining the NFL but you're not going to get much from stats/highlights of his in the NFL because he hasn't done much.
Across 40 games in 4 years, he's had just 39 receptions for 303 yards (7.8 YPR).

I'll go by longtime Steeler fans that have never missed a snap, guys like us.  Tee Higgins was too slow too remember?   I'm not saying the guy is great, not even good.  I was simply pointing out he has had productive snaps and the Steelers fanbase felt he was a solid asset.  I dont care if they cut him tomorrow, but it doesn't appear that he is some bum.

Reply/Quote
Sample has had a few injuries it is an insurance policy in case he is injured. This is not the first guy you call up if Irv gets hurt that would be Tanner hands down no contest.
Reply/Quote
A guy with that size can be effective in short yardage as a receiver with Burrow's accuracy.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 10:47 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Sample has had a few injuries it is an insurance policy in case he is injured. This is not the first guy you call up if Irv gets hurt that would be Tanner hands down no contest.

Sample is big and plodding and kind of clumsy for an NFL te. Like there's things he does well, but it's negated by his cons largely. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 08:30 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'll go by longtime Steeler fans that have never missed a snap, guys like us.  Tee Higgins was too slow too remember?   I'm not saying the guy is great, not even good.  I was simply pointing out he has had productive snaps and the Steelers fanbase felt he was a solid asset.  I dont care if they cut him tomorrow, but it doesn't appear that he is some bum.

Higgins still ran a 4.54, which is about average for a receiver. Still under 4.6, which is preferred.
Running a 4.9 as a TE is definitely a bigger deal than a WR who runs 4.5's.
How many of Gentry's highlights is he running 10+ yards downfield and making a catch at that point?
From what I've seen of him, he's getting it typically on a 5-yard-or-under route and then might pick up a few yards after.

While he might have more value than I give him credit for, there's no denying he's limited in what he will be able to do. He's a checkdown and goal line guy who can also block.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:37 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Higgins still ran a 4.54, which is about average for a receiver. Still under 4.6, which is preferred.
Running a 4.9 as a TE is definitely a bigger deal than a WR who runs 4.5's.
How many of Gentry's highlights is he running 10+ yards downfield and making a catch at that point?
From what I've seen of him, he's getting it typically on a 5-yard-or-under route and then might pick up a few yards after.

While he might have more value than I give him credit for, there's no denying he's limited in what he will be able to do. He's a checkdown and goal line guy who can also block.

I have no idea how they would use the guy, or even if they call him up.  I was just saying he isnt terrible and some of the comments here were quite casual.

Reply/Quote