Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals allowing "easy completions"
If we do not tighten the defense up then do not see that playoff win coming this season.

But absolutely believe the Bengals have the defensive personnel to be elite or close to it.

Yet have seen our defense start slow before only to come on later, so not in panic mode.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Matty Ice had 39 attempts and we only had two passes defended. This tells me we are not playing tight enough coverage. I said it earlier in the year or preseason that I thought Austin's defensive philosophy looked like keep everything in front of you and hope the offense eventually beats itself. We gotta start getting up on wr's. What's the good of having 3 1st round corners if you're gonna play off the wr's. We gotta get up and challenge some of these throw if we wanna get better on D. I hate a slow death defense. I'd rather get up in the offense's face and try and three and out them...if they catch you oh well go out next time and get them off the field and give your offense an extra chance. At least we're 3-1 while we figure it out. Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:33 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s the league.  For some reason known only in the feverish mind of one Roger Goodell, the league is trying to give the offense every advantage.  Maybe they think more points means more fans in the seats.  Heck, it works in the nearly defenseless NBA!

You guys have to see the big picture for the NFL - three main concepts. 

1. Viewership, young players playing the game and fans going to games is declining.
2. League about to get a huge financial windfall from legalized gambling.
3. More money flowing in from international markets , who have never seen the 13-10 defensive struggles and QB's getting killed. 

So, put the QB's in a bubble so they do not get hurt helps 2 and 3. The safety rules help 1. 

You guys have to look beyond your own personal experience on the changes in the league, it is much bigger than any of us and even bugger than the 'local' market. For every local fan that stops watching and longs for the old days, two new international fans start watching. 

All of the rules changes are designed to increase scoring, safety and excitement (as in scoring and big plays). The game as always evolved and it will continue to do so. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 01:57 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: You guys have to see the big picture for the NFL - three main concepts. 

1. Viewership, young players playing the game and fans going to games is declining.
3. More money flowing in from international markets , who have never seen the 13-10 defensive struggles and QB's getting killed. 

So, put the QB's in a bubble so they do not get hurt helps 2 and 3. The safety rules help 1. 

You guys have to look beyond your own personal experience on the changes in the league, it is much bigger than any of us and even bugger than the 'local' market. For every local fan that stops watching and longs for the old days, two new international fans start watching. 

All of the rules changes are designed to increase scoring, safety and excitement (as in scoring and big plays). The game as always evolved and it will continue to do so. 

Good point espespecially about the part about for everyone who quits watching because they think the game is ruined because of rule changes new fans take their place. Truth is that has always been the case anyway. As fans age out younger fans take their place. Personally I could care less just how profitable the league is or isn't.  They're not writing checks with my name as the payee.. When they start doing that I'll start giving a rats ass. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:44 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Matty Ice had 39 attempts and we only had two passes defended.  This tells me we are not playing tight enough coverage.  I said it earlier in the year or preseason that I thought Austin's defensive philosophy looked like keep everything in front of you and hope the offense eventually beats itself.  We gotta start getting up on wr's.  What's the good of having 3 1st round corners if you're gonna play off the wr's.  We gotta get up and challenge some of these throw if we wanna get better on D.  I hate a slow death defense.  I'd rather get up in the offense's face and try and three and out them...if they catch you oh well go out next time and get them off the field and give your offense an extra chance.  At least we're 3-1 while we figure it out.  Who Dey!

That's exactly Austin's philosophy, soft cushions and a thought process that eventually the offense will make a mistake and turn the ball over.  Very turnover dependent for success.

Heard it many times from coaches, "it's hard to drive 80 yards in the NFL".  Not when you don't cover underneath and it's basically pitch and catch!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We're in the bottom half of the league in every passing stat not  sure what there is to brag about. 

(10-02-2018, 12:09 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm not sure what your point is Fred, you're basically saying we're in the lower half in defense and that's "OK". 

I don't think you guys can read very well.

Never bragged about anything.  Never said our pass defense was "OK".  Just pointing out that our pass defense numbers this year, which would usually be among the worst in the league, are actually just below average.  It is called "providing perspective".
Reply/Quote
Our defense sucks ass. Plain n simple
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 01:57 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: You guys have to see the big picture for the NFL - three main concepts. 

Agree mostly but believe international markets whose football games usually end up 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 regularly are going to be fine with 13-10 games. 

It is the young American microwave society that may want to see the high scores in every game. Think it will ultimately be the decline of the game. Fantasy football is already boring this year now that every team is scoring high. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:06 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree mostly but believe international markets whose football games usually end up 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 regularly are going to be fine with 13-10 games. 

It is the young American microwave society that may want to see the high scores in every game. Think it will ultimately be the decline of the game. Fantasy football is already boring this year now that every team is scoring high. 

Greed is running the show!
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:06 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree mostly but believe international markets whose football games usually end up 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 regularly are going to be fine with 13-10 games. 

Yup.  I remember when the Bengals tied Washington in London, the few British folk we have here who attended thought that was just fine.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
What the hell is so exciting about incomplete passes, short runs, and punts?

I like to watch football. I'd much rather watch a starting QB make a nice throw for a completion than watch a back up miss badly.

So how are the new rules "ruining the game"?
Reply/Quote
#FireTerylAustin
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What the hell is so exciting about incomplete passes, short runs, and punts?

I like to watch football.  I'd much rather watch a starting QB make a nice throw for a completion than watch a back up miss badly.  

I'd like to see the QB have to at least work for his completions! Not just have his choice of 4 Wrs with no defender within 10 yds of them....
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What the hell is so exciting about incomplete passes, short runs, and punts?

I like to watch football.  I'd much rather watch a starting QB make a nice throw for a completion than watch a back up miss badly.  

I don't know so much about ruining the game...  but why can't a defensive player assist in a tackle without the fear of getting flagged.

The tackle that Lawson made should be allowed in the sport.

It was not violent but it was to the upper torso neck region.

This hypocrisy for QBs and WRs does not translate to the other players so much on the field.

"We care about player safety" only certain players.

I know that I don't have to watch it if I don't like it.

It still irks me though and I'm not alone.

As far as excitement of seeing huge offensive plays instead of 3 and outs.

Yeah that's cool but watching a defense can be fun too!

Remember the thrashing Cam took in the Superbowl?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 02:39 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: #FireTerylAustin

x300
Reply/Quote

Like that as well, but also enjoy great defense. Kind of like baseball, HR's are cool but so are no hitters and diving catches. 

Football is much more than scoring and it will become boring quick if every QB, RB, and WR are all great. 

Fine with safety rules and get them. But let's not turn this into flag football or 7 on 7 drills. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 02:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't know so much about ruining the game...  but why can't a defensive player assist in a tackle without the fear of getting flagged.

The tackle that Lawson made should be allowed in the sport.

It was not violent but it was to the upper torso neck region.

This hypocrisy for QBs and WRs does not translate to the other players so much on the field.

"We care about player safety" only certain players.

I know that I don't have to watch it if I don't like it.

It still irks me though and I'm not alone.

As far as excitement of seeing huge offensive plays instead of 3 and outs.

Yeah that's cool but watching a defense can be fun too!

Remember the thrashing Cam took in the Superbowl?
Maybe I am too old school, but I like good defenses! A slugfest at the 50 is my kind of game! I know, times have changed, but geezus you got to knock a pass down or crunch a QB or WR sometimes.
Reply/Quote
Soon defenses will have to do a 1 missippi, 2 missippi, 3 misssippi count before even rushing.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2018, 12:44 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Matty Ice had 39 attempts and we only had two passes defended.  This tells me we are not playing tight enough coverage.  I said it earlier in the year or preseason that I thought Austin's defensive philosophy looked like keep everything in front of you and hope the offense eventually beats itself.  We gotta start getting up on wr's.  1)  What's the good of having 3 1st round corners if you're gonna play off the wr's.  We gotta get up and challenge some of these throw if we wanna get better on D.  2)  I hate a slow death defense.  I'd rather get up in the offense's face and try and three and out them...if they catch you oh well go out next time and get them off the field and give your offense an extra chance.  At least we're 3-1 while we figure it out.  Who Dey!

1) Especially if they can't tackle - especially Dre

2) It's a  triple death:  Your defense is on the field too many snaps wearing out, it's a psychological death play after play for the whole team and you decrease the number of times your offense has a chance to put points on the board and keep their offense off the field.
Reply/Quote
Bengals will have to play good defense eventually do get where we need to go.

Bengals opponents left on schedule have a combined record is 24-18-4.

But remove steelers and Browns it becomes 20-12 with only the Raiders having a losing year so far.

Do not think anybody believes the steelers or Browns will be gimmes ?

20-12, plus steelers and Browns equal a quite formidable schedule left to play.

Got faith Bengals will get it done because we too are very formidable as well.

Yet we have our work cut out for us and must play better defense.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote