Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals among teams interested in CB Steven Nelson

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 04:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

wonder if that means something is up with one of our Current Top 3.
Reply/Quote
Hmm....Any chance they release Waynes? It'd be 12M in dead cap, but he obviously hasn't made a good impression thus far.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 05:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hmm....Any chance they release Waynes? It'd be 12M in dead cap, but he obviously hasn't made a good impression thus far.

because he got hurt before he even practiced?

Mike Hilton doing some recruiting

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 06:18 PM)pally Wrote: because he got hurt before he even practiced?

Is he injured again?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 05:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Hmm....Any chance they release Waynes? It'd be 12M in dead cap, but he obviously hasn't made a good impression thus far.

It'd still free up $3.8 mill of the current cap despite the $12 mill dead cap hit, so maybe.

EDIT - If Waynes were to get released, would this become a worse FA signing than Antonio Bryant? I would say yes, as Bryant was only guaranteed $8 mill. Waynes' guaranteed was $20 mill.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 06:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It'd still free up $3.8 mill of the current cap despite the $12 mill dead cap hit, so maybe.

EDIT - If Waynes were to get released, would this become a worse FA signing than Antonio Bryant? I would say yes, as Bryant was only guaranteed $8 mill. Waynes' guaranteed was $20 mill.

It might.  I was never excited about this signing, especially at the money he got.  Even if he makes it through this year I could us cutting him next year, not resigning Reiff unless he plays really well and making a run at darryl williams or another good tackle and drafting a CB early next year
Reply/Quote
No way they release Waynes unless it's a failed physical designation and they can try to attempt to recoup some of the money. They aren't going to give him all that money to never play if he can actually play. I actually wonder if it spells a potential departure of Phillips. I don't think he is happy about potentially being CB4 and could see him asking to be traded as he is on his last year and looking to get paid at some point.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: No way they release Waynes unless it's a failed physical designation and they can try to attempt to recoup some of the money. They aren't going to give him all that money to never play if he can actually play. I actually wonder if it spells a potential departure of Phillips. I don't think he is happy about potentially being CB4 and could see him asking to be traded as he is on his last year and looking to get paid at some point.

Possible this would be an expensive CB 4 though  unless waynes is expected to miss more time
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:41 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Possible this would be an expensive CB 4 though  unless waynes is expected to miss more time

I don't think so, at this point Nelson probably isn't getting much in terms of a valuable deal.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 10:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think so, at this point Nelson probably isn't getting much in terms of a valuable deal.

hes better off waiting till there is a higher demand for his skills than signing a small deal somewhere
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 11:25 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes better off waiting till there is a higher demand for his skills than signing a small deal somewhere

He's played on pretty much small deals his whole career. I think his highest base salary in any year was 1.75 million. I think we could get him with a fully guaranteed 2.25-2.5 million dollar one-year deal...I just don't know how they envision using him as Phillips is here so we have 4 corners it would seem already. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 11:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: He's played on pretty much small deals his whole career. I think his highest base salary in any year was 1.75 million. I think we could get him with a fully guaranteed 2.25-2.5 million dollar one-year deal...I just don't know how they envision using him as Phillips is here so we have 4 corners it would seem already. 

Waynes Hilton Awuzie Apple Phillips.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 06:18 PM)pally Wrote: because he got hurt before he even practiced?

Way to go Hilton, Waynes is my surprise cut with Phillips starting in his place. Hilton in the Slot, Awuzie on the outside.

Bring in Nelson.

Liking this Secondary. Get this pass rush going and lets get some INT's.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 01:11 PM)Synric Wrote: 5. 

Waynes Hilton Awuzie Apple Phillips.

I kind of consider Apple a throwaway lol, but yea I just don't see the need unless there is a potential issue no one knows about. 
Reply/Quote
Waynes is our #1, I just don't see him getting cut. If he's not healed that would have to be the longest pec tear healing in history. This is probably more about Phillips.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: I kind of consider Apple a throwaway lol, but yea I just don't see the need unless there is a potential issue no one knows about. 

I'd take Apple over any of the guys last year they had other than WJ3, Phillips, and Alexander.
Sims, Brown, and Davis were atrocious.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So the haters of Waynes and us signing him think us looking at Nelson who was an average QB at best for Steelers during his short career jump to dump Waynes and eat 12 million of cap money. Why? How about we let the coaches coach Waynes and observe him in practice before a major salary dump of a guy is likely better than Jackson in his short career.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: I kind of consider Apple a throwaway lol, but yea I just don't see the need unless there is a potential issue no one knows about. 

The need is CB depth, last year we saw how a lack of CB depth hurts when trying to throw guys in who have never started a game in the NFL and are projects. Apple has experience and my guess a low price tag in 2021, so if a starter goes down, hopefully he fills the void short or log term during the season. I see Nelson the same, a depth signing who with Apple can challenge the starting CB's for PT.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2021, 12:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The need is CB depth, last year we saw how a lack of CB depth hurts when trying to throw guys in who have never started a game in the NFL and are projects. Apple has experience and my guess a low price tag in 2021, so if a starter goes down, hopefully he fills the void short or log term during the season. I see Nelson the same, a depth signing who with Apple can challenge the starting CB's for PT.

Yea, the context I was saying Apple is a throwaway in terms of quality corners but we are still 4 deep with quality corners. Nelson isn't a 4th/5th corner in this league is at least a 3rd which is what I was kind of alluding to why signing here makes no sense.
Reply/Quote