Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals and The AFC North
(07-18-2021, 03:53 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: So do you think Mahomes is good enough to make a below average team contenders?

I think he is a top 10 QB who lucked into a great situation with very talented wide receivers and probably the greatest tight end to ever play the game. He had an above average Off line until they were injured and he had Andy Reid as his head coach. Once his line was weak he no longer looked like an MVP QB.

His 2021 Super Bowl stats:
1 Fumble
26-49 passing for 270 yards with 2 Interceptions
Ran the 5 times for 33 yards
Sacked 3 times
QBR Rating of 49.9

It was one game. And sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other team. That defense probably would have given KC trouble even with a healthy OL.

Look, I’m one of the biggest Burrow guy’s on this board, but let’s not pretend like even the best QB’s don’t have a stinker every once in a while (Joe actually had 2 last season).

Taking any other QB ahead of Mahomes is just pure lunacy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 03:53 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: So do you think Mahomes is good enough to make a below average team contenders?

I think he is a top 10 QB who lucked into a great situation with very talented wide receivers and probably the greatest tight end to ever play the game. He had an above average Off line until they were injured and he had Andy Reid as his head coach. Once his line was weak he no longer looked like an MVP QB.

1 Fumble
Sacked 3 times
QBR Rating of 49.9

No QB in the league is going to make a below average team contenders. I would venture to say that no QB in NFL history is able to do that. The game is too complex to do so. A QB can take a below average offensive cast and make them good, however. He has no effect on the defense, though. So, the answer to that question is “no, but no one else can either.”

Yes, his stat line wasn’t great, but if you give any QB a bad offensive line it isn’t going to end well. The same argument applies to Brady, Peyton or any other all time great. To be honest, one of the throws he made was quite possibly the greatest throw I have ever seen in all the time I have watched football. Williams dropped it, and it would have been a touchdown.

As it stands today, Mahomes is on a completely different level than Burrow is. It isn’t even close. I hope that Burrow can get there and I do believe he is going to be a good QB, but I’m not willing to bet on him to the point where I’d take him over Mahomes. Not yet, at least. We have only seen nine games of him.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 05:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No QB in the league is going to make a below average team contenders. I would venture to say that no QB in NFL history is able to do that. The game is too complex to do so. A QB can take a below average offensive cast and make them good, however. He has no effect on the defense, though. So, the answer to that question is “no, but no one else can either.”

Yes, his stat line wasn’t great, but if you give any QB a bad offensive line it isn’t going to end well. The same argument applies to Brady, Peyton or any other all time great. To be honest, one of the throws he made was quite possibly the greatest throw I have ever seen in all the time I have watched football. Williams dropped it, and it would have been a touchdown.

As it stands today, Mahomes is on a completely different level than Burrow is. It isn’t even close. I hope that Burrow can get there and I do believe he is going to be a good QB, but I’m not willing to bet on him to the point where I’d take him over Mahomes. Not yet, at least. We have only seen nine games of him.

Not sure if this is a fair argument or not but if I take Aaron Rogers away from the packers they will immediately become a below average team however, if I give him back they then become super bowl contenders......
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 05:52 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Not sure if this is a fair argument or not but if I take Aaron Rogers away from the packers they will immediately become a below average team however, if I give him back they then become super bowl contenders......

What are you replacing Rodgers with? If you replace Rodgers with a league average QB, they’re a playoff team. They have a league average defense and an elite offense. You take Rodgers away, they no longer have an elite offense but they still have arguably the best WR in the game, one of the top RBs in the game and a strong offensive line.

That’s not a below average team over there.
Reply/Quote

1 Fumble
Sacked 3 times
QBR Rating of 49.9

wOW. Just WoW. 

I.........don't know how to reply to this in a way that wouldn't be seen as offensive...

Not intentionally. Just in general. To react to something that is so grossly ill-informed and wrong...wowzers. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2021, 05:40 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No QB in the league is going to make a below average team contenders. I would venture to say that no QB in NFL history is able to do that. The game is too complex to do so. A QB can take a below average offensive cast and make them good, however. He has no effect on the defense, though. So, the answer to that question is “no, but no one else can either.”

Do you think the Patriots wouldn't have been contenders last year if they still had Brady?
Reply/Quote
Our future could be bright though if the coaching improves. Burrow is probably the most level headed QB with the greatest traits
I have ever seen at a young age. Dude reminds me of Tom Brady mixed with Drew Brees in his ways.

The OL will be better this season and so will the DL where we needed the most improvement besides coaching.

We are in the toughest Division in football. This is our problem and also could be our greatest test if we can win it.

If we can win the AFC North we are tested man.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 08:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Our future could be bright though if the coaching improves. Burrow is probably the most level headed QB with the greatest traits
I have ever seen at a young age. Dude reminds me of Tom Brady mixed with Drew Brees in his ways.

The OL will be better this season and so will the DL where we needed the most improvement besides coaching.

We are in the toughest Division in football. This is our problem and also could be our greatest test if we can win it.

If we can win the AFC North we are tested man.

If we pull that off, I'll buy a Burrow jersey and wear it for a month straight.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 03:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Do you think the Patriots wouldn't have been contenders last year if they still had Brady?

No, I do not think the Patriots would have been contenders with Brady.
Reply/Quote