Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals announce 53 man roster
The Giants cut Jameel Mcclain I think that we should at least give him a look. Our LB core is pretty weak, and I thought that he played pretty well for the Ravens a few years ago, and the Giants last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Has never done a single thing against other team's starting OL. Not in preseason or regular season. An experiment that keeps on eating a roster spot.

This is typical of what happens with certain players.  Some people start talking bad about them on the message boards or on talk radio and suddenly reality does not matter.

Hunt has played a good bit during the regular season against the other teams number ones and has 1.5 sacks and a tipped pass.

I see the same thing starting to happen to Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 07:26 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You're forgetting Winston.

My only disagreement over the cuts is Wilder. I think he adds more to the team than Peerman. He showed he's a better running back than Peerman and made some nice special teams plays this preseason, which was the question mark on him.

Yep. Peerman, Tate and Hunt are all replaceable with better players this very minute. Might just have been too much change for Mikey B and Marvin Lewis to tolerate.

It must be part of the improve through tiny changes method of taking decades to not quite yet win in the playoffs.

Wink

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is typical of what happens with certain players.  Some people start talking bad about them on the message boards or on talk radio and suddenly reality does not matter.

Hunt has played a good bit during the regular season against the other teams number ones and has 1.5 sacks and a tipped pass.

Hunt has looked good every time I've seen him get an opportunity to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is typical of what happens with certain players.  Some people start talking bad about them on the message boards or on talk radio and suddenly reality does not matter.

You must realize that you are talking about two years worth of regular season games. So that's 0.75 sacks per year and 1/2 tipped passed per year for a 2nd round pick. There was no MJ last year and it was a perfect opportunity for him to step up.

My point is that we can do better at this position.

I predict that Bodine will improve as the season goes on. He seems confused out there at times and I really think that will settle down for him. The sooner the better though. How many different OL combinations did he play in this preseason? It's gotta be as many as he'll see for the entire year.

Reply/Quote
Folks need to quit worrying about what round Hunt was drafted in. If we cut him we don't get the pick back. He was one of the best 53 players on the Bengals this year and that is why he made the roster. All this talk of I would have rather kept an UDFA DT that no one has ever heard of is just silly. Hunt can play DT, DE, and ST, he is useful on this team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 09:46 PM)BengalChris Wrote: My point is that we can do better at this position.

With who?
Reply/Quote
I still think the team needs work at backer and offensive center.  The backup guards are weak.  In terms of the defensive line, I had the notion Peko would be released but not with his team leadership, and locker room presence.  In terms of Hunt, I think Carter is similar body so either or between the two would work.  I just hope Carter can play well on Teams and cover as a backer.  TE tend to kill this defense without Burfict starting.  I do not think DeShawn Williams makes it to the PS and even so, he will be plucked.  Peko is not as talented as Williams but hopefully Williams hangs on the PS and breaks through next year. 

I have been impressed with Carter.  Hunt needs better awareness to close out plays but he causes havoc. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks need to quit worrying about what round Hunt was drafted in. If we cut him we don't get the pick back. He was one of the best 53 players on the Bengals this year and that is why he made the roster. All this talk of I would have rather kept an UDFA DT that no one has ever heard of is just silly. Hunt can play DT, DE, and ST, he is useful on this team.

I would have liked Williams on the roster, I'm not a huge fan of Hunt, but I do feel that Hunt 's preseason play was unnecessary nitpicked to death by people pushing for him to be cut[like we have any influence on it]. There are a lot of other guys that made it that had their share of negative plays, too, that didn't get near the hate.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals only kept 8 OL because they have some flexibility there. Not many teams have 3 lineman who can shift to other spots. It essentially makes an 8-man rotation like 9.

They obviously played it safe, and while many criticize the Bengals for this, it's hard to disagree with this 53-man. This is a tough roster to crack and was even tough considering about 80% of the ideal 53-man from a year ago returned, MJ/Sims re-signed and we brought in a whole draft class. Not very many spots for guys outside of that group and the first half of the draft class to take.

Hopefully we can stash Kumerow, Hopkins, Hill, Obarski, Wilder, Watson and Williams on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see them get Isaiah Battle on the PS. We might be able to turn him into something special.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if it's worth bringing in Barrett Jones and see if he passes a physical. A back (and foot) is nothing to mess with for an OL, but he was a big deal coming out of Bama. Most likely though, they stay with the 8 they have as another poster said it doesn't matter if they're inactive or PS really. Johnson hasn't wowed me, but they're going to bank on him knowing the system in an emergency. I'm content with the roster overall.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 02:36 AM)phil413 Wrote: I wonder if it's worth bringing in Barrett Jones and see if he passes a physical.  A back (and foot) is nothing to mess with for an OL, but he was a big deal coming out of Bama.  Most likely though, they stay with the 8 they have as another poster said it doesn't matter if they're inactive or PS really.  Johnson hasn't wowed me, but they're going to bank on him knowing the system in an emergency.  I'm content with the roster overall.

I see only 2 spots on the roster I would upgrade if possible:

TJ Johnson
Uzomah

I like Hunt and feel he is a consistent run defender at both DE in the base 4-3 and DT on passing/hybrid downs.
I would like to see him get a more consistent pass rush, but I hope MJ and Gilberry also get more consistent pass rushes and hope Dunlap learns to finish better getting sacks and creating turnovers. I think people want all players to be studs and that is unrealistic. We have many role players as all NFL teams do and they are a valuable part of our team. Hunt will never be a superstar, but I never expect any non #1 pick to be one.

Center is areas that scares me the most and I think our biggest weakness. But, the issue is who is better that is available. Our think Uzomah can develop in 2 or 3 years so he would be a great PS player right now. I would like a seasoned vet TE known for blocking first to fill his spot. Again, I don't see one available right now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 10:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would have liked Williams on the roster, I'm not a huge fan of Hunt, but I do feel that Hunt 's preseason play was unnecessary nitpicked to death by people pushing for him to be cut[like we have any influence on it].  There are a lot of other guys that made it that had their share of negative plays, too, that didn't get near the hate.

Folks just find a player they don't like and pounce. Many teams could do a lot worse than having Margus Hunt as their 5th DE.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote