Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troy Walters announced as WR coach
(01-10-2021, 03:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I consider a "good" game to be 75+ yards. Ross had 80+ yards 3 times in 8 games in 2019.
That's more than "one good game."

Week 2, Bengals are down 41-10 in the 4th quarter with 1 minute left in the game. John Ross was at 3 catches on 7 targets for 46 yards.

In Week 7, his 86 yards came from 6 catches on *13* targets. That's a 46.2% catch rate.

Neither of those games were good games.

Week 1 he was great. That was it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:21 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I don’t see how this makes the coaching staff better. Going from two coaches to one coach seems like a downgrade unless the coach you’re losing was doing more harm than good. Kind of a meh move. But maybe in this case the assistant coach was a better coach??

Pollack is a definite an upgrade at oline coach. Otherwise the coaching staff hasn’t improved other than the young coaches learning on the job.

They'd have had a look at Walters when Bicknell missed a couple of games with Covid. Maybe they liked what they saw more than they did with Bicknell?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:14 AM)pally Wrote: He was having a better overall season in 2019 than 2018.  He easily exceeded every stat except TDs. And that was with him missing half the season.

Outside of Seattle game Ross did very little in 2019. You take that game's stats out of the equation and Ross wasn't as good as 2018. In 2020 he vanished, then somehow managed to injure himself in practice and go back on IR for the 4th time in 4 years.

(01-08-2021, 03:19 AM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Clearly Ross ain’t cut out for it.  I was really hoping to see Ross excel under ZT, and it seemed like it was primed to happen with the opener in Seattle in 2019.  Then he remembered he’s John Ross I guess.  Ugh.  Wasted talent.  

LOL. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:39 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Ross was a colossal bust. Ross even being on this team is on Tobin and Mike Brown. Marvin got more out of him, 7 TDs in 2018, than Taylor has in either year.

Ross was a unanimous first round pick.  His failures reside largely, IMHO, on himself.  He was immature, and he must have been an absolute pain in the ass to have all that ability (look at his college film, he was NOT a one-trick pony) and get next to nothing out of it.  For Taylor to give up on him as quickly as he did (especially this past season) is a real mystery but you didn't hear Burrow begging to get the guy out there.

I fully expect Ross to sign for a place out west and, with little to no pressure on him, turn in to a fairly solid WR.  Why?  Because that is just our fortunes in general.  
Reply/Quote
just one of the BIG coaching changes going on this offseason.... Primed for improvement
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: AJ was at the level of elite in league, his decline was injuries not Coaching. Ross just was a non factor so much to even fairly judge

AJ himself has said he'd have produced better if used better. If we're to believe him, that falls on coaching for not using him right.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 06:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Week 2, Bengals are down 41-10 in the 4th quarter with 1 minute left in the game. John Ross was at 3 catches on 7 targets for 46 yards.

In Week 7, his 86 yards came from 6 catches on *13* targets. That's a 46.2% catch rate.

Neither of those games were good games.

Week 1 he was great. That was it.

If you don't want to consider any game of Ross's other than Seattle as being good, that's your opinion. I still consider the other two to be good. You're just changing your criteria for what you think is good to try to make your point. I still consider his yardage worthwhile, as it's better than him having 50 yards or less in those games.

Regardless, from purely a production standpoint, his 2019 season was more than double his production of any other season. As such, when looking at a bar graph, it literally inclines from 2017 to 2018 and then has a big jump in 2019, only to drop in 2020. That is, by definition, an incline followed by a decline.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ himself has said he'd have produced better if used better. If we're to believe him, that falls on coaching for not using him right.

most players will say its not them...  Maybe AJ is right but he hasnt looked on the field as good as before he took the year and a 1/2 off. But that could all be the new coaches and play calling.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: AJ himself has said he'd have produced better if used better. If we're to believe him, that falls on coaching for not using him right.

He's a WR, he's supposed to run downfield and get open and then catch the ball. He hasn't. That's on him. (and I'm a huge AJ fan) To me, it feels like AJ was used to Dalton forcing the ball to him all the time, and now that we have a QB who is as willing to throw to other receivers and he is to Green, AJ seems like the more the ball goes to others, the less effort he puts into his routes. He actually, on several plays, seemed surprised the ball was coming to him and tried to put in the effort at the last minute.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's a WR, he's supposed to run downfield and get open and then catch the ball. He hasn't. That's on him. (and I'm a huge AJ fan) To me, it feels like AJ was used to Dalton forcing the ball to him all the time, and now that we have a QB who is as willing to throw to other receivers and he is to Green, AJ seems like the more the ball goes to others, the less effort he puts into his routes. He actually, on several plays, seemed surprised the ball was coming to him and tried to put in the effort at the last minute.

What's more concerning to me is AJ's catch percentage being so low. It was just 45% this season, his lowest of his career.
He had about the same number of targets as Higgins and Boyd (104 vs 108, 110), but he had 318 yards less than Boyd and 385 yards less than Higgins.

I hate to bring John Ross back into this conversation, but Green had a lower catch percentage in 2020 than Ross had in 2019. Ross also had about as many receiving yards in 2019 on about half the targets Green had in 2020. Am I crazy to think that Ross might have actually produced about as well as (or possibly better than) AJ Green did this season if he had been given as many opportunities?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 05:07 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Yes. Exactly. 

And he was OC at Nebraska before he came here. He's got a wealth of experience for his age. This is why I think it was more about retaining Walters than it was "firing" Bicknell. At least that's how i'm reading the tea leaves. 

I guess I like the move, we will see.
Reply/Quote

He did?  Not doubting you but I haven't seen this.  Anyone got a link?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He did?  Not doubting you but I haven't seen this.  Anyone got a link?

Could have sworn it was one of the beat writers who mentioned it right around the last week of the season.
I'll see if I can find.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What's more concerning to me is AJ's catch percentage being so low. It was just 45% this season, his lowest of his career.
He had about the same number of targets as Higgins and Boyd (104 vs 108, 110), but he had 318 yards less than Boyd and 385 yards less than Higgins.

I hate to bring John Ross back into this conversation, but Green had a lower catch percentage in 2020 than Ross had in 2019. Ross also had about as many receiving yards in 2019 on about half the targets Green had in 2020. Am I crazy to think that Ross might have actually produced about as well as (or possibly better than) AJ Green did this season if he had been given as many opportunities?

I doubt it, because AJ usually had the other teams #1 corner on him.
Reply/Quote
This isn't just some ZT nobody.
He was legit as a player and coach at the collegiate level.
Reply/Quote
Also, for what it's worth, according to Rapien it sounds like Bicknell moving on was his decision.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Stanford grad Biletnikoff award winner. Sounds like an outstanding option.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:47 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Stanford grad Biletnikoff award winner. Sounds like an outstanding option.

These are good traits...Thanks for sharing.  When I heard his name, I was like:  "Who?".  Hope he helps the guys.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:47 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Stanford grad Biletnikoff award winner. Sounds like an outstanding option.

He also ran pretty good offenses in Nebraska. Manufactured a lot of it, just from that he sounds like a good option for an OC.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:37 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: This isn't just some ZT nobody.
He was legit as a player and coach at the collegiate level.

(01-14-2021, 10:24 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: He also ran pretty good offenses in Nebraska. Manufactured a lot of it, just from that he sounds like a good option for an OC.

Thanks guys, makes me feel really good about the hire. Rock On
Reply/Quote