Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals assigned German WR/TE- Moritz Boehringer
They can sign FA contracts next year, think of this as a way for the NFL to throw 32 free agents into the wild next off season and hopefully get one or two noticed enough to catch on with a team. This is a marketing play to expand the interest in Europe and it's a smart move. If they let them be signed off the 53 then it would be preferential treatment but by making them spend the season on a PS they make themselves more ready for when they can sign. These guys didn't have to allow themselves to take this designation, they opted to and it was most likely because they knew they would not be signed otherwise.
Reply/Quote
Wait until he severely hurts AJ Green while running an incorrect pattern and we will see how fast people change their minds on this idiotic thing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:03 PM)Shady Wrote: Agreed, but what's the point? Why is the League saying he can hang out on the PS, but not make the 53? Why couldn't he apply for a Green Card? Is this just PR? 

It is a chance for him to get advanced training that he usually would not get.  The hope is that thes international players will then take this advanced knowledge back to their home countries.

30% of the NBA is foreign born players.  27% of MLB players are foreign born.  There are tons of physical freaks all over the world that have football bodies but have never played advanced football.  So instead they become wrestlers, or shot putters, or power forwards, or "strongmen".

The NFL is just doing this to try and spread advanced football around the world.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 12:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of F'ed up if you're a non-international fringe roster guy and see someone else getting special privileges like this.

I bet Andrew Hawkins or Cameron Wake would have loved to have been treated special so he could hang around in the NFL rather than having to go to Canada and work hard for another chance, like everyone else who wants to keep their eventual NFL dream alive.

[Image: 73965d1366321300-random-pictures-thread-...-jerbs-jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 02:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: NFL is working on international relationships with countries trying to get their football programs up and going from grade schools etc..

its to build international appeal....  Why they cant potentially play though is probly because they are assigned and not signed or drafted or chosen..

Vikings had offered him a contract apparently at one point.  apparently actually drafted him..  Which is cool.. but I wonder why hes assigned to this program and not just a free agent

Yeah a lot of questions surrounding all of this.

(05-01-2018, 03:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: These players can sign with anyone once the season is over:

“This is an important part of the league's overall strategy to grow internationally. We are building this pathway program to provide international athletes with the opportunity to play in the league, which will increase the pool of talent, inspire others and ultimately drive fan growth."

How do they get an opportunity if you cannot activate them to the 53?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 03:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: These players can sign with anyone once the season is over:

“This is an important part of the league's overall strategy to grow internationally. We are building this pathway program to provide international athletes with the opportunity to play in the league, which will increase the pool of talent, inspire others and ultimately drive fan growth."

I guess this confuses me because Boehringer was already technically in the league when he was drafted by the Vikings....?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think what this is is a program to allow europeon or other foreign atheletes a chance in the NFL by chance I mean a year on the PS with a chance to put something on Tape in the preseason. After he was cut by the Vikings and not resigned I'm guessing he applied to this program.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How do they get an opportunity if you cannot activate them to the 53?

The opportunity is to get top level coaching from NFL coaches.  That is what is holding back a lot of international players.  Even in the countries where they play American football they don't have really top level coaches available.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:04 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Wait until he severely hurts AJ Green while running an incorrect pattern and we will see how fast people change their minds on this idiotic thing.

This isn't a thing.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The opportunity is to get top level coaching from NFL coaches.  That is what is holding back a lot of international players.  Even in the countries where they play American football they don't have really top level coaches available.

Okay, well i guess i am starting to understand this a little better.

This whole idea is new to me.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a chance for him to get advanced training that he usually would not get.  The hope is that thes international players will then take this advanced knowledge back to their home countries.

30% of the NBA is foreign born players.  27% of MLB players are foreign born.  There are tons of physical freaks all over the world that have football bodies but have never played advanced football.  So instead they become wrestlers, or shot putters, or power forwards, or "strongmen".

The NFL is just doing this to try and spread advanced football around the world.

That's interesting. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a chance for him to get advanced training that he usually would not get.  The hope is that thes international players will then take this advanced knowledge back to their home countries.

great point  The Myth of Margus Hunt started as a scholar ship to a college for shot putting and then the track and field team was shut down so the football coach convinced him to come play..

Imagine if Margus Hunt had as many years of football training as your typical NFLer
Reply/Quote

As a fan in the UK I think the NFL needs to continue to do this type of stuff for the development of the game overseas...if they're serious about that as an objective of course.

a few showpiece games at Wembley or the Azteca stadium in mexico city is great for existing fans in the country to see an live nfl game and generates some publicity as an alternative to premier league soccer etc, but if they want more of a grassroots movement then they need to find more sustainable ways of developing the talent and knowledge base within countries.

not saying having a few players on practice squads will solve that but its along more of the right lines then just giving the jags another regular season game in London...
Reply/Quote
To shed some light on this situation.

A division was chosen at random for this program. Last year it was the NFC South and all of the players have reverted back to their teams.

This year it is the North. The players can be signed to a contract IF the team wants them to be apart of the 53 man roster. They have until the END of Training Camp to make the decision. This player does NOT count against the 90 man roster spot.

IF the team does not add the player to the 53 man roster, then the player is then moved to the PS and is untouchable for the whole season.

Upon completion of the 2018 NFL season the players will revert to the roster of the team that they were on.

I personally think this is a great thing. Boehringer is now listed as a TE on our roster and next year we do have Eifert as a FA. I also believe Kroft and Uzomah will be FAs as well. We get an extra camp body and if we don't sign him to the 53 by the end of TC an extra PS player that can't be touched by us or anyone else.

This will give us 1 year to train up Boehammer and if he picks up the position with his measurables, he could be a replacement for 1 of those 3 TEs. If not, then we can still draft a top TE in the draft next year and sign a vet FA if we do not retain ours.
Reply/Quote
Dude is obviously a spy. They better assign a Russian hacker to the Steelers
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 05:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: great point  The Myth of Margus Hunt started as a scholar ship to a college for shot putting and then the track and field team was shut down so the football coach convinced him to come play..

Imagine if Margus Hunt had as many years of football training as your typical NFLer

He did. It still didn't work out. 
Reply/Quote
Aww Dammit! Does this mean we can't sign Rick Dockery from the Parma Panthers?
Yet another QB screwed up in Cleveland .  Cool

I KNOW someone will ask so just in case Rick Dockery is a fictional character from John Grisham's book, Playing for Pizza .

Come to think about it the Bengals have had several fictional characters playing on the team over the  years .. Even several fictional coaches..  Betcha that comes as a shocker, eh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote