Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals badly need a TE
There are some guys who were waived that might somewhat more optimism in than Sample and Wilcox, but none that are really slam dunk obvious.
I've mentioned OJ Howard before in other threads, but it's been a few years since he showed good contributions.
Anthony Firkser looks available, but he's never had a 400+ yard season.
Kuntz is available and has outstanding athletic profile, but he went very late in draft and was let go from his team for a reason. It's all potential for him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 10:42 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: If Hudson makes it to the PS, I think we are in decent shape.

That would be great.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Is one of our best offensive players not a TE? No but they are pretty pumped about Irv Smith’s athleticism. They’ve made no bones about him being the most athletic they’ve had. Joe just doesn’t gravitate to TE’s. He didn’t at LSU or ever here. They just aren’t going to be pivotal.

I suggest you go re-watch some 2021 highlights.  Uzomah made some HUGE plays during the season that helped get to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Cardinals seem to be doing their best to be tanking right now. Could probably get Zach Ertz coming off an injury last year for like a 7th, or maybe a 6th to get them to eat some of the money.

Ngl my dream was Darnell Washington. He fit us like a glove. Blocker and hard to tackle on 3rd and short.

With us cutting Tanner and keeping Sample i am 100% sure our philosophy on TEs hasn’t changed so we still value blocking over being a pass catching threat so i am very surprised we passed ok Darnell Washington.

This is the battle of drafting BPA and need. We definitely needed A TE when we passed on Darnell but i am very happy with who we got.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 01:25 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I suggest you go re-watch some 2021 highlights.  Uzomah made some HUGE plays during the season that helped get to the Super Bowl.

But in regard to what the poster said, Burrow has never really targeted the TE position like a guy like Brady did. Maybe that was because he never had an Irv Smith guy. To my knowledge Thad Moss(college), Sample and Hurst are the best TEs he’s played with. So you never know, he may increase targets to TEs with Irv.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 02:12 PM)Housh Wrote: Ngl my dream was Darnell Washington. He fit us like a glove. Blocker and hard to tackle on 3rd and short.

With us cutting Tanner and keeping Sample i am 100% sure our philosophy on TEs hasn’t changed so we still value blocking over being a pass catching threat so i am very surprised we passed ok Darnell Washington.

This is the battle of drafting BPA and need. We definitely needed A TE when we passed on Darnell but i am very happy with who we got.

100% this.

Bengals (and probably most teams) have their big board and track who is still available as their picks approach.
If they have a guy super high up on their board that's still available and they didn't expect to be there, do they forego need and just take BPA, even if the player ends up as a backup/rotational player for the next couple years?
Or would a pick at a need position with maybe someone somewhat lower on their board ultimately result in better contributions?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 02:14 PM)Housh Wrote: But in regard to what the poster said, Burrow has never really targeted the TE position like a guy like Brady did. Maybe that was because he never had an Irv Smith guy. To my knowledge Thad Moss(college), Sample and Hurst are the best TEs he’s played with. So you never know, he may increase targets to TEs with Irv
Brady had Gronk and Hernandez, and he never had receivers like Chase, Higgins and Boyd. He HAD to target the TE
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:03 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Looking at the 53 man roster, TE definitely stands out as a weak spot.  Who in that position gives you confidence that they can make a crucial play, when needed?

Sure wouldn't mind adding a TE because Irv Smith Jr is always getting injured and Sample sucks as a pass catcher.

I like Wilcox though, if we do add a TE I would cut Sample.
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 01:25 PM)Tomkat Wrote: I suggest you go re-watch some 2021 highlights.  Uzomah made some HUGE plays during the season that helped get to the Super Bowl.

Watched every minute of every game. He made some great plays but can we compare his stats to Hayden Hurst? I’m just pointing out it’s not a huge value position in this offense. Uzomah & Hurst similar stats
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 04:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Watched every minute of every game. He made some great plays but can we compare his stats to Hayden Hurst? I’m just pointing out it’s not a huge value position in this offense. Uzomah & Hurst similar stats

They were basically the same guy. Idc what stats say. Anything can happen with stat totals. My eyes told me they were basically the same guy, with CJ being a tad bit harder to tackle
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think our TE room is sufficient, given the statistics showing the limited usage of the position in our offense.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 07:17 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I think our TE room is sufficient, given the statistics showing the limited usage of the position in our offense.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

This is me. I like Irv, Wilcox and Sample.

Who wouldn’t want a Kittle or Kelce? But we ain’t got that. We got who we got and it’s not like they are horrible. All 3 guys are hard to tackle on 3rd and short and 2/3 guys block.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Is one of our best offensive players not a TE? No but they are pretty pumped about Irv Smith’s athleticism. They’ve made no bones about him being the most athletic they’ve had. Joe just doesn’t gravitate to TE’s. He didn’t at LSU or ever here. They just aren’t going to be pivotal.

(08-30-2023, 04:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Watched every minute of every game. He made some great plays but can we compare his stats to Hayden Hurst? I’m just pointing out it’s not a huge value position in this offense. Uzomah & Hurst similar stats

Really? Let me check with my insider . . .

(03-23-2023, 01:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We are drafting a TE in the first round

(03-22-2023, 09:14 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The plan was draft one if Moreau fell through.

(03-28-2023, 06:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: But I still say if Joe had a first rate tight end then Zac wouldn’t let it waste.

(02-11-2023, 06:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well Taylor loves the tight end. If you look at Joe he likes 4 wide or even 5 wide. I’m pretty sure because of Hurst’s injury they didn’t get to a lot of stuff

(05-02-2023, 09:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Zac loves the tight end position. His first assistant job was coaching TE’s at Texas A&M.

LMAO

Yeah, tight ends just aren’t valuable. Except Zac Taylor loves tight ends, wouldn’t let a tight end go to waste, and the plan was to draft a position of little value in the first round.

Is there any topic you can’t contradict yourself about?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 02:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Really? Let me check with my insider . . .

LMAO

Yeah, tight ends just aren’t valuable.  Except Zac Taylor loves tight ends, wouldn’t let a tight end go to waste, and the plan was to draft a position of little value in the first round.

Is there any topic you can’t contradict yourself about?

So what. Zac can love TE's and know how to use them, but at the current time, we have arguably the best WR trio in the League, so a TE isn't going to be all that important in our current scheme.  ZT even said in a presser they wanted to draft a TE but when it was their turn to draft, TE wasn't BPA and they weren't going to reach for one.  Everyone knows this stuff, so why are you trying so hard? 
Reply/Quote
Wonder if we take Darnell if we KNEW Tycen was gonna win preseason DPOTY? Nick Scott and Tycen Anderson wouldn’t sound bad on paper right now.

I’m a huge Battle fan so I’m not mad just wondering
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2023, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 100% this.

Bengals (and probably most teams) have their big board and track who is still available as their picks approach.
If they have a guy super high up on their board that's still available and they didn't expect to be there, do they forego need and just take BPA, even if the player ends up as a backup/rotational player for the next couple years?
Or would a pick at a need position with maybe someone somewhat lower on their board ultimately result in better contributions?

I think it's a combination of the two. I think the Bengals talked about how they weren't planning on taking a safety in the 3rd but Battle was so much higher on their board than any other player available that the picked him because of that. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 08:27 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Can you believe this guy? He’s really got a screw loose. And a character flaw.

Well it's obvious ZT knows how to use a TE, CJ and Hurst both left with nice offers that were likely over paid (CJ for sure, and Hurst is TBD).

(08-31-2023, 08:57 AM)Housh Wrote: Wonder if we take Darnell if we KNEW Tycen was gonna win preseason DPOTY? Nick Scott and Tycen Anderson wouldn’t sound bad on paper right now.

Not sure, but Darnell was flagged with having multiple foot issues (broken foot once) ankle issue and a possible knee issue over his career. So alot of teams didn't want to risk it with him being such a big guy. Time will tell if the right decision was made.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 08:57 AM)Housh Wrote: Wonder if we take Darnell if we KNEW Tycen was gonna win preseason DPOTY? Nick Scott and Tycen Anderson wouldn’t sound bad on paper right now.

And Dax Hill 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 09:37 AM)TheFan Wrote: I think it's a combination of the two. I think the Bengals talked about how they weren't planning on taking a safety in the 3rd but Battle was so much higher on their board than any other player available that the picked him because of that. 

Right, I get that, but should they have?
Or should they have gone with Darnell Washington instead since TE was more of a need, even if lower on the board?

Washington might have ended up contributing to the Bengals more the next couple years (the best SB window since all the big offensive contracts won't be there yet) compared to Battle. Or could there have been someone else taken instead of Murphy, as Murphy will likely just be a rotational player for the next 2-3 years?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2023, 09:41 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Right, I get that, but should they have?
Or should they have gone with Darnell Washington instead since TE was more of a need, even if lower on the board?

Washington might have ended up contributing to the Bengals more the next couple years (the best SB window since all the big offensive contracts won't be there yet) compared to Battle. Or could there have been someone else taken instead of Murphy, as Murphy will likely just be a rotational player for the next 2-3 years?

I guess we'll see with Washington. I'm not sure if he was really on their board given some of the injury redflags or whatever else pushed him so far down compared to what people thought. 

I didn't like the Battle pick when it happened and still am not a fan. I would have gone more towards a position of need and someone with more upside but I understand why they picked Battle since we didn't know what we had at safety. 
Reply/Quote