Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Ross
(10-19-2020, 02:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I would trade top Marvin Era picks Ross and Price for a bag of peanuts.  Ross can't catch, Price can't block.  Come to think of it, a half a bag of peanuts.  Doesn't have to be a whole bag. 

Lets not reset history of Price pick now.. we needed a Center.. he was a consensus top 2/3 center out of College.. this pick was not a reach, it was logical pick that did not work out.. Ross to me was a reach pick with ?? so bad pick..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: John Ross got just 1 snap all game.
It's pretty clear now that he was active that this staff doesn't plan to try to use him again.

Try to trade him if you can so you can get SOMETHING, as he's almost assuredly gone after this year. Depending on new contract with another team and if the Bengals bring in fewer FAs than they lose, the Bengals MIGHT be able to get a comp pick.

I never even noticed him in the game. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets not reset history of Price pick now.. we needed a Center.. he was a consensus top 2/3 center out of College.. this pick was not a reach, it was logical pick that did not work out.. Ross to me was a reach pick with ?? so bad pick..

Ross was a reach, but not a huge reach. This isn't directed at you, but a lot of people have this false memory that Ross only went so high because of his 40 time. His record setting time certainly helped him, but he was a legitimately talented prospect that was looked at as a first rounder before his combine. You take a look at Ross vs Adoree Jackson in 2016 and Ross made Jackson look silly. He made a lot of people look silly. It's really disappointing he didn't work out.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:57 AM)740Bengal Wrote: So are we giving up on John Ross?  I mean if we are going to give Mike Thomas more snaps than AJ Green at least let Ross get a few end around or jet sweeps.  What a waste, trade him for late round picks if we are going to use the man.  I know he has struggled but if he's going to remain on the roster, you at least need to attempt to coach him up and use him.

I remember vaguely when we actually used John Ross he led the league in yards for a few weeks the talent is there the coaching isn't 
Reply/Quote
Ross goes to the right place next year and has a 1000 yard season what would that say about Taylor and Marvin? In fairness to Marvin Ocho and Henry took all his patience with receivers away
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 05:37 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ross goes to the right place next year and has a 1000 yard season what would that say about Taylor and Marvin? In fairness to Marvin Ocho and Henry took all his patience with receivers away

Is there some hospital he can check into where they can surgically alter his hands so he can catch that I've never heard of or something?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, I can see how Ross being "misused" could have been something people threw at Marvin or Lazor/Zampese or even Dalton...but at this point it's pretty clear Ross just isn't good.
Maybe I'm wrong, however I still think Ross is being misused.

Ross needs to be in motion EVERY time he's on the field causing LBers to pause in case of a jet sweep. Jet sweeps should be run at least 4 times a game.

Misdirection off of Ross in motion also will momentarily freeze the defense. PA off Ross' motion will freeze LBers also.

An occasional quick slant to Ross is a potential TD because safetys can't get there fast enough.

None of this should be foreign to our high octane playcaller. Sean McVey used Brandin Cooks the same way...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
If Ross can be used by a real team I suspect a bidding war at the trade deadline.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 01:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ross is a 9th overall pick who had 1 good game in 4 years and will end up netting us a comp pick and that's about it. Alas, there is a 99.9% chance going to be known as nothing more than the guy who went before Mahommes.

I will admit it was fun coming up with a list of coaches and players who were preventing him from being good until we gave up on that.

No comp pick as we'll sign an O-lineman in FA.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 11:57 AM)740Bengal Wrote: So are we giving up on John Ross?  I mean if we are going to give Mike Thomas more snaps than AJ Green at least let Ross get a few end around or jet sweeps.  What a waste, trade him for late round picks if we are going to use the man.  I know he has struggled but if he's going to remain on the roster, you at least need to attempt to coach him up and use him.

Nope.  The #9 overall pick in his draft class that has the fastest 40 time in NFL history is not able to help this team in any way, shape, or form.  

Ninja
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 10:58 AM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote:

There’s gotta be a pass catching TE out there we can trade Ross for. Ertz is off the table with a high ankle sprain.
Reply/Quote
Really makes you wonder about the politics going on in the locker room.

Auden Tate's agent goes on a rant and suggests the Bengals trade him if they insist on not using him.

AJ Green is speculated to having said the same thing on the sideline.

And now John Ross.

Not just with Taylor and the coaching staff, but also Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 12:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I really don't understand the coaching staff's love of Mike Thomas.

I suspect Taylor plays favorites with him, very similarly to how he played favorites with Jim Turner, Lou Aranumo, and Brian Callahan.  The guy simply loves people he's had relationships with in the past.

Mike Thomas isn't very good.  And after last weeks fumble I would have thought they would have reduced his role.  But nope.  Auden Tate gets deactivated (I'm sure he's happy), and John Ross gets activated but doesn't play a single snap (I'm sure he's happy too).

Over the last 4 games, Mike Thomas has 5 catches for 30 yards.  (Read that again)  On the season he has 78 yards total.

I rip on John Ross as much as anyone.  But I'm sorry, he can at least take some snaps from this bum.  I just don't get it.  This guy isn't that good.

There's sure coaching issues, but I think Tate was dinged up.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 05:58 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, however I still think Ross is being misused.

Ross needs to be in motion EVERY time he's on the field causing LBers to pause in case of a jet sweep. Jet sweeps should be run at least 4 times a game.

Misdirection off of Ross in motion also will momentarily freeze the defense. PA off Ross' motion will freeze LBers also.

An occasional quick slant to Ross is a potential TD because safetys can't get there fast enough.

None of this should be foreign to our high octane playcaller. Sean McVey used Brandin Cooks the same way...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fun fact, Ross' first NFL touch was on a sweep. He fumbled. Dude sucks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2020, 11:25 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Really makes you wonder about the politics going on in the locker room.

Auden Tate's agent goes on a rant and suggests the Bengals trade him if they insist on not using him.

AJ Green is speculated to having said the same thing on the sideline.

And now John Ross.

Not just with Taylor and the coaching staff, but also Burrow.

It's almost as if people are upset that we have depth at a position.

Boyd and Higgins have earned their targets and that only leaves so many to go around. 

It's not even just this coaching staff as Marvin didn't use Ross or Tate either.

Hopefully the Bengals can salvage something for Ross. Even a 5th round pick is probably optimistic at this stage though.
Reply/Quote
I’ll be surprised if Ross goes to another team and at least isn’t used as a gimmick player

You simply cannot have no use for that speed. Just having Ross on the field likely shifts a safety or an extra DB to him even if it’s just a couple yards
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 10:30 AM)Housh Wrote: I’ll be surprised if Ross goes to another team and at least isn’t used as a gimmick player

You simply cannot have no use for that speed. Just having Ross on the field likely shifts a safety or an extra DB to him even if it’s just a couple yards

In Ross's four years, how many Deep balls had he caught? 1? Not exactly a threat even with his speed. If it was just one coach and QB, but we are talking 2 coaches, 2 QBs. Just face it, he is NOT GOOD.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2020, 10:33 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: In Ross's four years, how many Deep balls had he caught? 1? Not exactly a threat even with his speed. If it was just one coach and QB, but we are talking 2 coaches, 2 QBs. Just face it, he is NOT GOOD.

The Bengals offense going back to that 4-and 1 start in Lewis's
Last year had issues hitting deep balls. Keep in mind who the QBs were since then.....Dalton...Driskel...Finely....
Dalton was a really good deep ball thrower until the last few years as a Bengal. 
Driskel and Finely were clown shows when it came to such
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lets not reset history of Price pick now.. we needed a Center.. he was a consensus top 2/3 center out of College.. this pick was not a reach, it was logical pick that did not work out.. Ross to me was a reach pick with ?? so bad pick..

If looking purely at projections vs where they were picked, you may say Price was a bigger reach than Ross.

Price was considered by quite a handful of draft experts to be an early 2nd round pick. I remember him being projected in the 40's.
He was projected 47th by CBS Sports, for example - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-top-150-overall-plus-breaking-down-first-round-locks/

He went 21st overall, which would make him going about 20-25 picks earlier than he was projected by draft pundits.

Ross was considered to be a back-half of 1st round draft ranking by many. I recall anywhere from upper teens into the low-to-mid 20's.
ESPN had him at 25 - https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19180310/ranking-top-100-prospects-available-2017-nfl-draft-espn-nfl-nation-reporter-jeff-legwold

So Ross was about 10-15 picks earlier than projected by draft pundits.

With one being drafted about 20 picks ahead of where they were projected and the other only about 10, I would say Price was the bigger reach.
But, as you said, C was a big need whereas WR wasn't. And we all likely do remember that the Bengals really would have picked Ragnow as their C if DET didn't snag him the pick before. So if it would have been Ross vs Ragnow, absolutely Ross would have been the reach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote