Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals casting a wide net to fill Oline position
And I like it..

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/9/16871266/bengals-utah-o-line-coach-jim-harding-david-lippincott-raiders?utm_campaign=cincyjungle&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Glad to see they are looking at college oline coaches. There are some good ones out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
What up?

[Image: 6065273187_9df6ec97e1_b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They really need to take their time and make a good decision. Getting the line straightened out is so damn important.
Reply/Quote
Whoever they choose except him to be here 20 years much like Alexander was. Mikey will give him a 25 yr deal
Reply/Quote
Wow....... even moving on from Lippincott....... they're seriously cleaning house.

I'll be excited to get some innovative mind in here that want to change the way things are done. It will be nice to have guys that finally want to bring us to the next level instead of the tired old way of doing things.

I guess Mike is serious about wanting a winner before he retires and that Marvin does finally have some pull.

It's a Who-Dey revolution!
Reply/Quote
Of all the coaching changes in Cincinnati, THIS one is by far the most important. Marvin Lewis needs to find an offensive line coach who understands every run blocking scheme ever invented and who understands pass blocking has changed drastically in the past ten years.
Reply/Quote
Reports are former Bronco Oline Coach Jeff Davidson interviewed this week.

This may be the next position filled.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Of all the coaching changes in Cincinnati, THIS one is by far the most important.  Marvin Lewis needs to find an offensive line coach who understands every run blocking scheme ever invented and who understands pass blocking has changed drastically in the past ten years.

And it needs to be done quickly the East West Shrine and NFLPA Bowl games are next week.

(Hayes is coaching the East West Shrine Game.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Reports are former Bronco Oline Coach Jeff Davidson interviewed this week.

Interesting. He's a respected line coach and is known for his emphasis on technique.
Reply/Quote
i'm fine w/ the changes
BUT......
I don't blame the past 2 years of not running the ball well so much on any coaches....
I blame it more on our weak O-line....Bodine's been weak from jump street....
then drafting Ced & Fisher & losing Whit & Zeitler.....
no coach could of fixed the line at that point....no matter what you call we'd get pushed back....
the offense can't win like that....

the coaches are just the scape goats....
Reply/Quote
I wonder if we've contacted coaches at Wisconsin? It's a pretty prominent Offensive Linemen factory.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Reports are former Bronco Oline Coach Jeff Davidson interviewed this week.

Was he, in any way, involved with all those RB’s that excelled some years ago? Interesting, if so.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:14 PM)Steve Wrote: i'm fine w/ the changes
BUT......
I don't blame the past 2 years of not running the ball well so much on any coaches....
no coach could of fixed the line at that point....no matter what you call we'd get pushed back....

I blame the coaching a lot. Here's why ...

I listen to a ton of Bengals related Podcasts every week and Dave Lapham gives excellent insight to the inner workings of the org, team, and on the field.

Something he said that was really educational was that Paul Alexander was in charge of the running game and blocking schemes and, as such, made the Oline run a "Mid Zone" scheme. A mid zone basically has the O-linemen fall back or slide across the line of scrimmage and rely on athleticism/technique rather than pushing/driving and power. He said the Bengals players just weren't made for being good at that - horrible at it, actually, but Alexander refused to change it and kept trying to shove a round peg through a square hole.

This is much different than the much more common "Inside Zone", which is more aggressive and designed to use power and strength and push forward. He said there is a huge difference between the two concepts/schemes

Lapham said basically that Lazor forced the change with 6 weeks left in the season. I believe this is what Lazor was referring to when he said in his rehire press conference that the coaches need to be able to have a disagreement and make changes without taking it personally and getting emotional and throwing a fit while still being able to go to lunch after and work together, even if someone doesn't get their way. To that effect, I believe PA was emotionally stumping/fighting for his Mid Zone scheme and "his guys" to continue to play. Lazor finally said enough of this BS, which is why the running game got on the uptick late in the season and some of these more powerful maulers finally got playing time.

Lapham went on to say that the Bengals players are built much better for inside zone - and probably prefer it. He also gave a lot if insight as to why Westerman and Redmond weren't playing and how it was BS for Paul Alexander to have stuck to his idea and players when he had other ones who would have done much better with a proper scheme. Westerman and Redmond are way better suited for inside zone than mid zone so PA gave them little practice time or consideration because he refused to change his ways, even when it was clearly an absolute disaster.

After hearing Lap pull back the curtain the past two weeks I feel like PA was a serious issue among the coaching staff and was totally inept as he was in charge of so much. He wasn't just a line coach in terms of 1 on 1 and technique. He was in charge of the entire running game and ground game plan each week and a lot of ot other coaching things it would seem. Players play, this is true.... but football is a coaches sport in so many ways. They have to put the players in positions to be successful and that just wasn't being done.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: And I like it..

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/1/9/16871266/bengals-utah-o-line-coach-jim-harding-david-lippincott-raiders?utm_campaign=cincyjungle&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Glad to see they are looking at college oline coaches. There are some good ones out there.

More like a minnow trap. Hope they pick a good one, a coach that's willing to pound the table for a FA or 2 so we can address other areas as well in the draft like Safety, LB etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 10:29 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Was he, in any way, involved with all those RB’s that excelled some years ago? Interesting, if so.

No, he wasn't.
He was Denver's OL coach this year and that O Line was terrible.
Davidson has been everywhere, but he never sticks.
I'd take the Utah guy over him. 
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Lippinnut or whatever that fat ass that would get the play books from the players cut on Hard Knocks? If so I can't believe he's a LB coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 11:27 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Isn't Lippinnut or whatever that fat ass that would get the play books from the players cut on Hard Knocks? If so I can't believe he's a LB coach.

No. We gave that guys son a job. Because..
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Of all the coaching changes in Cincinnati, THIS one is by far the most important.  Marvin Lewis needs to find an offensive line coach who understands every run blocking scheme ever invented and who understands pass blocking has changed drastically in the past ten years.

This

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 11:35 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: No. We gave that guys son a job. Because..

Damn! I didn't know that. Well maybe Brown finally thought he would give this whole play for a championship thing a try instead of the mom and pop store style he's been hanging onto. Damn he's gonna have to put the Buick up for sale.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 09:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: And I like it..

I've noticed they're taking their time, and I couldn't be happier about it. It's the biggest coaching move of the off-season, IMO.  

(01-09-2018, 10:14 PM)Steve Wrote: i'm fine w/ the changes
BUT......

Our run game has been bad for 12 years, not 2. Scheme is HUGE and I thought everyone would realize that after watching the last 6 games...when Mixon and Gio averaged 5.0 and 4.7 ypc respectively. It's been confirmed that there was a scheme change for those games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote