Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals claim DT on waivers
Bengals claimed former Falcon rookie DT Travis Bell (6'1" 305) who was waived this week. Bell a 7th round pick of the Bears was on their PS until Oct when he was plucked by the Falcons. He will fill one of the open roster spots left by Reader and Ivey. I presume the other spot will be CTB's next week

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Basically another penetrator type. Noted for high motor though.

I was thinking we would be looking for a big NT type to take Reader's spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Think poor man's Andrew Billings
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Think poor man's Andrew Billings

Kinda. But more motor. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 07:02 PM)pally Wrote: Bengals claimed former Falcon rookie DT Travis Bell (6'1" 305) who was waived this week.  Bell a 7th round pick of the Bears was on their PS until Oct when he was plucked by the Falcons.  He will fill one of the open roster spots left by Reader and Ivey.  I presume the other spot will be CTB's next week

I dont understand claiming Bell off waivers.  He was a late round pick that couldnt make the Bears 53 man roster.  The Falcons plucked him, got a look at what he could do then they release him.   Bell is also smaller than Reader   DJ Reader is 6' 3" 327 pounds so obviously a bigger presence in the middle.  Domenique Davis is actually closer to Reader's size being 6' 3" 326 and Davis has been practicing in Lou's defensive scheme where Bell is coming from another team yet Bell will be on the 53 man roster since he was claimed.  I just dont know about this addition.  With all the available options out there with this team trying to make the playoffs and trying to replace Reader, the Bengals organization sign Travis Bell to the 53 man roster?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 09:05 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont understand claiming Bell off waivers.  He was a late round pick that couldnt make the Bears 53 man roster.  The Falcons plucked him, got a look at what he could do then they release him.   Bell is also smaller than Reader   DJ Reader is 6' 3" 327 pounds so obviously a bigger presence in the middle.  Domenique Davis is actually closer to Reader's size being 6' 3" 326 and Davis has been practicing in Lou's defensive scheme where Bell is coming from another team yet Bell will be on the 53 man roster since he was claimed.  I just dont know about this addition.  With all the available options out there with this team trying to make the playoffs and trying to replace Reader, the Bengals organization sign Travis Bell to the 53 man roster?

It’s possible they simply know more than you.

I’m quite certain it’s happened before.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 09:05 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont understand claiming Bell off waivers.  He was a late round pick that couldnt make the Bears 53 man roster.  The Falcons plucked him, got a look at what he could do then they release him.   Bell is also smaller than Reader   DJ Reader is 6' 3" 327 pounds so obviously a bigger presence in the middle.  Domenique Davis is actually closer to Reader's size being 6' 3" 326 and Davis has been practicing in Lou's defensive scheme where Bell is coming from another team yet Bell will be on the 53 man roster since he was claimed.  I just dont know about this addition.  With all the available options out there with this team trying to make the playoffs and trying to replace Reader, the Bengals organization sign Travis Bell to the 53 man roster?

I also thought they might pick up Domenique Davis. But perhaps Bell fits a specific need for them that Davis didn't. There may be very specific down and distance where he could contribute. I'm also not sure he has to be on the 53-man roster, since wasn't he picked up on waivers, rather than plucked from a practice squad? If so, they might be able to just waive him should he not work out.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 09:30 PM)Nepa Wrote: I also thought they might pick up Domenique Davis. But perhaps Bell fits a specific need for them that Davis didn't. There may be very specific down and distance where he could contribute. I'm also not sure he has to be on the 53-man roster, since wasn't he picked up on waivers, rather than plucked from a practice squad? If so, they might be able to just waive him should he not work out.

He was picked up on waivers which requires at least 1 week on the 53 roster.

This is a guy who has been playing football all season vs older more experienced guys who have been sitting around all season

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Think poor man's Andrew Billings

I love this statement for every reason imaginable. I loved the Billings hype threads around and after the draft. Hilarious to look back on.
Reply/Quote
Just get a guy who we can TRY and occupy 1 1/2-2 gaps so that BJ and Sam don’t have to change everything they do

Probably won’t work but it’s all you can do

I honestly would be just activated Davis over Tufele

We’re gonna need Davis more than this Bell guy or Tufele or whatever else could’ve been called up
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 10:01 PM)Housh Wrote: Just get a guy who we can TRY and occupy 1 1/2-2 gaps so that BJ and Sam don’t have to change everything they do

We’re gonna need Davis more than this Bell guy or Tufele or whatever else could’ve been called up

I thought Tufele played pretty well when he filled in for Reader last season.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 10:01 PM)Housh Wrote: Just get a guy who we can TRY and occupy 1 1/2-2 gaps so that BJ and Sam don’t have to change everything they do

Tufele. Is in the 53 man roster. Davis is on the PS so obviously the coaches believe Tufele is the better option

Reply/Quote
I would like to see domenique Davis get an opportunity he's very good at taking on double teams and has the body mass very similar to DJ reader,plus he's been practicing in the system longer let's not over complicate things..
Reply/Quote
My first thought it he's small to be stopping the run. Hopefully they bring Davis up from the PS
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 07:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: Basically another penetrator type. Noted for high motor though.

I was thinking we would be looking for a big NT type to take Reader's spot.

They apparently wanted Tart who was cut from Titans but TX snagged him
This guy sounds like Another camp body...Im thinking they pull up Davis now  
Reply/Quote
Bell is at practice today wearing number 90

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 09:18 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: It’s possible they simply know more than you.

I’m quite certain it’s happened before.

It's also possible they don't.  Remember this is the same coaching staff that kept Tanner Hudson on the practice squad for a lot of the season when many of us had the opinion Hudson should be on the 53 man roster because he was the best receiving TE we had.  It wasnt until week 9 of the season against Buffalo did the coaching staff wise up and get Hudson on the 53 man roster so lets not pretend the coaching staff is infallible with their personnel decisions.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 07:02 PM)pally Wrote: Bengals claimed former Falcon rookie DT Travis Bell (6'1" 305) who was waived this week.  Bell a 7th round pick of the Bears was on their PS until Oct when he was plucked by the Falcons.  He will fill one of the open roster spots left by Reader and Ivey.  I presume the other spot will be CTB's next week

Must have some pass rush to him I guess, I think Dominique Davis would help us more immediately especially as a NT as others say.
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind that this may not just be a move for this season alone. There is currently an open roster spot and they claimed a young guy that showed enough that he made 1 team's PS and was claimed by another. Falcons hoped to re-sign him to their PS. This may be a developmental move looking towards next season as well. Nothing precludes them from activating Davis from the PS for Saturday's game. They can bring him up for every game remaining this season without ever having to sign him to the 53

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2023, 09:51 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I love this statement for every reason imaginable. I loved the Billings hype threads around and after the draft. Hilarious to look back on.

The thing about Billings was he was "The Other D-lineman" coming out of Baylor in that draft.

Shawn Oakman was the marque. Dude never played a snap in the NFL 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote