Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals close to re-signing Pat Sims
Looks like we are trying to retain Sims

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-try-to-close-deal-for-Sims/e3e75a0a-5812-4033-b6fb-598eb7a4b4d8
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Depth signing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Another who cares signing..Bring back Nelson and go sign Gilberry back or Coples or Werner along with Wallace or Lafell
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
It's an incredibly deep DT draft class...we can't muddy up our weak back end roster by adding actual talent that could someday contribute in a more meaningful way. Gotta keep maxed out guys who at best play ~17% of snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's an incredibly deep DT draft class...we can't muddy up our weak back end roster by adding actual talent that could someday contribute in a more meaningful way. Gotta keep maxed out guys who at best play ~17% of snaps.

Jay Hayes to rookie DT:  Son, you want a spot on this roster?  All you have to do is beat out that overweight, often injured, over the hill guy.

Rookie to Coach Hayes:  Sure thing, Coach.  Does that mean I'll be getting majority of snaps in preseason?

Jay Hayes:  Uh, we'll see.  But, I can guarantee you that you'll see a lot of time in TC...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Depth signing.

and a great depth signing. i like sims more than peko lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jay Hayes to rookie DT:  Son, you want a spot on this roster?  All you have to do is beat out that overweight, often injured, over the hill guy.

Rookie to Coach Hayes:  Sure thing, Coach.  Does that mean I'll be getting majority of snaps in preseason?

Jay Hayes:  Uh, we'll see.  But, I can guarantee you that you'll see a lot of time in TC...

Rookie DT: I out played him coach.

Coach: Yeah but not on enough snaps.

Rookie DT: I did on the snaps you gave me.

Coach: Well...should have gotten more snaps.

Rookie DT: Umm....
Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with this signing as Phat played well for us last year.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Pat Sims seemed disruptive when he was out there. He's a good rotational guy.
Reply/Quote
hopefully this isn't indicative of our draft plans. Best dt draft in a while. Regardless of receivers, the fo is crazy if they don't take a tackle in the first or second.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:17 AM)Benton Wrote: hopefully this isn't indicative of our draft plans. Best dt draft in a while. Regardless of receivers, the fo is crazy if they don't take a tackle in the first or second.

Depends on board.  If a reciever or linebacker is top of their board in round one and DT is 3rd he won't be a first round pick.  If cb or OL is BPA in round two it won't happen either.  The bengals are going to go for the best value regardless of position.  It's honestly not much different than fantasy football and a method that helps me win a lot of leages. I don't draft players I draft value and tiers.  If you get ennamored on one guy you become desperate and blind to everything else around you.  

Funny how that concept relates to real life:
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:17 AM)Benton Wrote: hopefully this isn't indicative of our draft plans. Best dt draft in a while. Regardless of receivers, the fo is crazy if they don't take a tackle in the first or second.

Big Daddy Wilkenson and Devon Still are Defensive Tackles drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. By no means should this stop the Bengals from drafting the position early (Malcolm Brown fan last year myself) but I do think those past failures and the success of 4th round players like Geno Atkins and Domato Peko and they are hoping Marcus Hardison make the mid rounds of the draft the most comfortable and likely spot they will draft Defensive Tackles for the foreseeable future. I fully expect that no matter who is re-signed or not re-signed that the Bengals won't draft a Defensive Tackle until the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Depth signing.

We also added some width.

And I can't believe people are panicking that if we have more than 4 DTs under contract it means we won't draft a DT.  Thompson was not injured until very late in the season so it will be tough for him to be back for training camp even if we do re-sign him.  And we are not going into camp with just 60 players.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jay Hayes to rookie DT:  Son, you want a spot on this roster?  All you have to do is beat out that overweight, often injured, over the hill guy.

Jay Hayes coaches for Tampa Bay now. Jacob Burney is the guy you're wanting. (I really had to look that up when I realized I had no idea who replaced him as DL Coach.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:22 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Depends on board.  If a reciever or linebacker is top of their board in round one and DT is 3rd he won't be a first round pick.  If cb or OL is BPA in round two it won't happen either.  The bengals are going to go for the best value regardless of position.  It's honestly not much different than fantasy football and a method that helps me win a lot of leages. I don't draft players I draft value and tiers.  If you get ennamored on one guy you become desperate and blind to everything else around you.  

Funny how that concept relates to real life:

True, to a point. It works for fantasy football, but not always in real life. If you go several years without addressing a position, it's going to catch up to you. If you don't take a risk on a player here or there, but only where you've got them slotted, you run the risk of having one starting player and a bunch of rotational guys. Which is what our line is. In fantasy football, if you ignore a position... well... hell, you can't. There's not that many to ignore.

(03-15-2016, 09:29 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Big Daddy Wilkenson and Devon Still are Defensive Tackles drafted in the 1st and 2nd round. By no means should this stop the Bengals from drafting the position early (Malcolm Brown fan last year myself) but I do think those past failures and the success of 4th round players like Geno Atkins and Domato Peko and they are hoping Marcus Hardison make the mid rounds of the draft the most comfortable and likely spot they will draft Defensive Tackles for the foreseeable future. I fully expect that no matter who is re-signed or not re-signed that the Bengals won't draft a Defensive Tackle until the 3rd or 4th round at the earliest.

Still was at the tail end of the second and a DE, which is a gamble in the NFL. Wilkenson was a good player and a #1... 30 years ago. I'm not getting the connection.

We've had success in the mid rounds, but you can't keep trying to get lucky. With the exception of Geno, we're just making due with our mid-round DL guys. We made due with Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell, but we still drafted AJ Green. I want a Green at DT, not a Simpson.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:00 AM)Benton Wrote: True, to a point. It works for fantasy football, but not always in real life. If you go several years without addressing a position, it's going to catch up to you. If you don't take a risk on a player here or there, but only where you've got them slotted, you run the risk of having one starting player and a bunch of rotational guys. Which is what our line is. In fantasy football, if you ignore a position... well... hell, you can't. There's not that many to ignore.

No way, I only go BPA, regardless of position or need. 4 QBs and 3 Kickers in the 2016 draft, please. Everyone knows extreme measures are the only measures worth taking. Ninja

Lol, but agreed. BPA is great and all, but you really do need to balance it out with need. There's nothing wrong with drafting a player at a position you need even if he might only be the 2nd or 4th player on your board at the time because what good will a third string QB do you when you desperately need a DT?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No way, I only go BPA, regardless of position or need. 4 QBs and 3 Kickers in the 2016 draft, please. Everyone knows extreme measures are the only measures worth taking. Ninja

Lol, but agreed. BPA is great and all, but you really do need to balance it out with need. There's nothing wrong with drafting a player at a position you need even if he might only be the 2nd or 4th player on your board at the time because what good will a third string QB do you when you desperately need a DT?

Pretty much. I don't think any of us want to see Robert Aguayo lining up at NT because he was still there in the third round, but Peko got winded in the second quarter.
Reply/Quote