Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals.com - Inside the pick: good timing
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Inside-the-pick-good-timing-/fdc9edc8-c2cc-4478-840e-2b58d601a6b4

The article talks about the reasoning behind the pick and also gives insight into the Bengals big board.

Geoff Hobson Wrote:“I saw the most explosive ability to start, stop, and accelerate that I’ve seen in a long time,” Coyle said Thursday night, shortly after the Bengals took Ross with the ninth pick. “He was really rare with his skills set and physical traits to be able to not just have long speed, but the quickness and the ability to start and re-direct is exceptional.”

“Rare.” “Special.” “Unique.”
It was those words that, in the end, with Alabama tight end O.J. Howard neck-and-neck with Ross as the best players left on their board, reflected why the Bengals felt Ross is going to change more defenses lined up with perennial Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green and tight end Tyler Eifert rather than Eifert lined up with Howard and Green.

“When you have the fastest player in the league,” Dalton said, “it’s going to be hard for that safety not to cheat.”

Or as one Bengals player said right after the draft, “Seven-man boxes,” referencing how Ross’ deep speed prevents a safety from playing near the line of scrimmage.

“When you have a guy that can run past you and also separate from you across the field as well as down the field, it equals up everything,” said wide receivers coach James Urban. “It’s just a different kind of weapon.”

The Bengals faced character concerns with Foster, depth chart questions with Howard, and size questions with three pass rushers in Allen, Tennessee right end Derek Barnett, and Missouri defensive end Charles Harris.

Depth chart? No problem there. The more receivers the merrier, although there is going to be a hellacious roster battle a season after one rookie, Tyler Boyd, had the best season by a first-year Bengals receiver not named A.J. Green in 35 years and another, Alex Erickson, won the AFC kick return title.

There is the matter of his knee injuries and his size, but speed obliterated it all. Ross tore off the record two years after he tore his ACL and meniscus. He had his shoulder repaired right after the combine and as head coach Marvin Lewis said of the Bengals famously strict medical team, “If you can jump through the hoops and pass our medical, then you’re pretty good,” Lewis said. “It’s not my concern once they pass him. If he’s able to stay on (our) board, then he’s pretty good.”

“The film jumps out. And then you see the 40 (-yard dash) time. Then you need to spend time with him. All of those things checked out, he checked all the boxes. The surgery on the shoulder calls for investigation, and our medical people did a great job investigating it. We feel comfortable where he is. But with the numbers I got, most show that he’s effective when the ball is in his hands. He makes plays with the ball in his hands, and at the end of the day, that is what we are looking for: playmakers to help us win football games.”

If you don’t think Ross is a playmaker, you didn’t see the face of special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons as he left the Bengals draft room Thursday night. Usually Simmons doesn’t get help until the third day of a draft, but now the fastest prospect ever just fell into his lap with four career kick return TDs at Washington.

“He has the rare quickness you see at times in smaller receivers, but he has the unique element of straight line speed as well,” Coyle said. “There are very few guys that have that same combination. There are guys his size that have been exceptional in the league. This is a rare athlete, so I think he’s got a great career ahead of him.”
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good read. Thanks for posting it.

Reply/Quote
"The Bengals faced character concerns with Foster, depth chart questions with Howard, and size questions with three pass rushers in Allen, Tennessee right end Derek Barnett, and Missouri defensive end Charles Harris."

This sums it up very well as to why the Bengals took Ross.

They like taller DE's. Foster had character issues. And why take Howard as they already have Eifert.
Reply/Quote
I love this pick fellas, yeah good read. Cool
Reply/Quote
One name not mentioned is Malik Hooker because that would admit to ignoring the BPA approach that they seemingly always preach and shove down our throats everytime they take a CB that sits the bench for a year or two after being drafted. I don't hate the Ross pick and if healthy he will help this team but Malik Hooker should have been BPA but they already paid Shawn Williams before knowing what they had in him and even though Williams would probably be a better Linebacker than Safety they didn't want to rock the boat there....just my two cents
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:17 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: One name not mentioned is Malik Hooker because that would admit to ignoring the BPA approach that they seemingly always preach and shove down our throats everytime they take a CB that sits the bench for a year or two after being drafted. I don't hate the Ross pick and if healthy he will help this team but Malik Hooker should have been BPA but they already paid Shawn Williams before knowing what they had in him and even though Williams would probably be a better Linebacker than Safety they didn't want to rock the boat there....just my two cents

Assuming Hooker was the best player on the Bengals board. He was higher on Kipers board...but it's not Universal.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Assuming Hooker was the best player on the Bengals board. He was higher on Kipers board...but it's not Universal.

I know he might not have been higher on the Bengals board but the reason would likely be because of what I mentioned about already having Shawn Williams. But in my opinion he should have been Best Player Available by a mile over Ross....like I said just my opinion and nothing to do with Kiper or anyone else but from what I have seen when watching those guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:17 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: One name not mentioned is Malik Hooker because that would admit to ignoring the BPA approach that they seemingly always preach and shove down our throats everytime they take a CB that sits the bench for a year or two after being drafted. I don't hate the Ross pick and if healthy he will help this team but Malik Hooker should have been BPA but they already paid Shawn Williams before knowing what they had in him and even though Williams would probably be a better Linebacker than Safety they didn't want to rock the boat there....just my two cents

I did find that interesting, but I think there were two reasons Hooker might not have been in the discussion.
1) The Bengals are very satisfied with their safety depth right now
2) Hooker really only had one season of production. It was a very good year, but we know the Bengals value tape.
3) Hooker had surgery in late January to repair a torn labrum and hernia.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I did find that interesting, but I think there were two reasons Hooker might not have been in the discussion.
2) Hooker really only had one season of production. It was a very good year, but we know the Bengals value tape.

I understand all of that I guess I just see Hooker being an all pro for years to come and I am not so sure if Ross will stay healthy. Did like Ross over Howard though and that is what it sounds like the Bengals came down to.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I did find that interesting, but I think there were two reasons Hooker might not have been in the discussion.

2 and 3 would have ruled Ross out.

I think the Bengals just fell in love with Ross's speed. Plain and simple.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:27 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I understand all of that I guess I just see Hooker being an all pro for years to come and I am not so sure if Ross will stay healthy. Did like Ross over Howard though and that is what it sounds like the Bengals came down to.

How can you be sure Hooker will stay healthy? He only played one full season and then had labrum and hernia surgery. He might be just as "injury prone" as Ross.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 10:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Inside-the-pick-good-timing-/fdc9edc8-c2cc-4478-840e-2b58d601a6b4

The article talks about the reasoning behind the pick and also gives insight into the Bengals big board.

Thanks for the read.....this guy is explosive.  I like the pick....so long as he doesn't become Eifert 2.0.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 2 and 3 would have ruled Ross out.

I think the Bengals just fell in love with Ross's speed. Plain and simple.

#2 not necessarily. While he didn't have a ton of production on offense, he was a stud returner with 35+ touches in both 2013 and 2014.
I think what really hurt Hooker was not being able to participate in the Combine, pro day, or private workouts.
At least with Ross, you got to see that explosion up close and personal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: "The Bengals faced character concerns with Foster, depth chart questions with Howard, and size questions with three pass rushers in Allen, Tennessee right end Derek Barnett, and Missouri defensive end Charles Harris."

They like taller DE's. Foster had character issues. And why take Howard as they already have Eifert.

IF we still wanted foster we could probly work a trade with 49ers lol
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:27 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I understand all of that I guess I just see Hooker being an all pro for years to come and I am not so sure if Ross will stay healthy. Did like Ross over Howard though and that is what it sounds like the Bengals came down to.

its all a crap shoot till they prove it on the field

Ross instantly opens up things on offense were hooker wouldn't be starting on defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: "The Bengals faced character concerns with Foster, depth chart questions with Howard, and size questions with three pass rushers in Allen, Tennessee right end Derek Barnett, and Missouri defensive end Charles Harris."

If the Bengals take Mixon or Cook, you'll have a lot of head scratching on this "character issues" statement.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Since the Bengals faced "character concerns with Foster" does this mean they are out on Mixon?

If they say that and then go draft Mixon, they are total hypocrites.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Since the Bengals faced "character concerns with Foster" does this mean they are out on Mixon?

I would agree with you. The only way I could see them trying to justify is "Well, we only consider character issues as a problem for the first rounders".
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:46 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Since the Bengals faced "character concerns with Foster" does this mean they are out on Mixon?

They still have Jones on the team so there goes that theory
Reply/Quote
Geoff Knobson said they faced character concerns....not the bengals. Also, not sure how hitting aomeone who spit on you is a character concern...but just my opinion.
Reply/Quote