Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals.com Saying Bengals To Dump Payroll After Draft.
(03-19-2018, 03:01 AM)XsandOs Wrote: Sunset, I will understand if there is a need for cap space to extend current players. That would be the only reason.

The 18+ mil is more than enough for rookie contracts and possible injury settlements.
there is only maybe 10 mil left
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 02:38 PM)kevin Wrote: According to Bengals.com in a story headline about Bengals taking a break after busy 6 days.  It mentions the linebacker was too good to pass up and Bengals will deal with the 10 Million after the draft.  Hill just went to Patriots. They look for Jones and Bodine to other teams also. McCarron gone. Even with these players leaving, the signing of Eifert, Huber and getting a Left Tackle and a Linebacker has Bengals needing to dump payroll per Bengals.com.  They say after the draft some veterans will be gone.  They claim Bengals are looking to replace Bodine in the draft. It will be interesting to see who Bengals may trade or cut to dump payroll.  I don't know the contracts and all the legal parts but I would guess player contracts that would still not be eating cap space if gone.  Now, which Bengal contracts fall in that bucket, I have no idea, very lawyer type stuff.  Payroll cuts and veterans cut or traded is coming after the draft per Bengals.com saying Bengals need to free up cap space now.  Sounds right and I can see signing Eifert, the big name left tackle and the big name linebacker in a few days eating cap space.  Seems like Bengals know what they are doing. They probably already have a list of veterans they are getting rid of to dump payroll.  Bengals front office says they are happy the way it is going. so they must know who they are dumping late April or early May to free up cap money. Bringing in a tackle and a linebacker, I'm wondering if there is a big money tackle or a big money linebacker on this team with contracts that if cut or traded they free up cap space as opposed to still eating cap space.  Cuts are coming. People that know these contracts might be able to see who is on the bubble. Bengals did say they were going to shake things up and make moves after back to back losing seasons.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

all the info you need including dead money if cut.

Part of this strategy is if they are cutting dead money players is now that the league year has started they can spread it out over 2 years.

it could also mean restructuring deals to take less of a hit now and push back some of the money to later years with an extenstion (like dunlap/geno)
Reply/Quote
I'll believe it when I see it. The Bengals never cut guys unless there is some sort of injury concern late in the contract.

Sure, it would make a ton of sense, but they never do it.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 04:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: MJ(almost 5 mil), Iloka(6 mil), Williams(3.6), Hewitt(almost 2 mil) all are costly and expendable.

Kirkpatrick is too much dead money even though most would ship him out in a heartbeat.

Off this list I say MJ is gone.  His age is finally starting to catch up with him and with the DE's on the roster already and probably drafting one he becomes the odd man out.  Also, Williams could go if they draft a safety in the first 2 rounds.  His production is not that great and Iloka has better range.  Hewitt is expendable because he is already playing out of position (TE playing FB).  I agree Dre is here to stay and so is Cedric and Fisher.  They are both on their rookie deals and are not that costly.  LaFell offers stability at WR and they need that because outside of AJ Green no other WR has proven to be reliable.  I would love to see VRey cut because I do not think he is very good, but with Tez being suspended again his job is safe.  

[Image: sig.jpg]

[Image: monkeysridingdogsherdingsheep1.gif?w=1000]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2018, 09:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is only maybe 10 mil left

Correct. The $18 mill is without the projected $8.5 mill for the draft pool and without any reserved for injuries.
Bengals typically reserve $2-5 mill for injuries, so play it safe and assume $5 mill.
That actually would only leave about $5 mill left toward extensions or whatever.
That's about half the amount the Bengals have been reserving for extensions and the Bengals have Atkins, Dunlap, and possibly Dennard that they want to work out extensions for.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 03:29 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Yep....Michael Johnson is probably on the chopping block.

As he should be....was awful when played DE, serviceable as a DT............worse case resign him much cheaper
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Unless they really knock it out of the park in the draft I don't see a huge turnover and even then they'll still be rookies with zero NFL experience..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote