Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals.com Saying Bengals To Dump Payroll After Draft.
(03-18-2018, 06:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: To the people that want Iloka and Williams cut; why? Their solid at there position, both play special teams, and they both can play nickle LB. Why cut verstile players like that but yet keep Laffell and Rey?

It is crazy that is why, you don't cut Shawn and you definately don't cut George...
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 06:44 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: To the people that want Iloka and Williams cut; why? Their solid at there position, both play special teams, and they both can play nickle LB. Why cut verstile players like that but yet keep Laffell and Rey?

We assume that Lafell is safe because of the bonus paid.

I would say most would actually want Rey cut over both safeties.

It's just how Burfict's suspension plays out and our LB group.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 04:50 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I would say either Williams or Iloka could go...  not both.

I'd prefer Iloka stays and we draft or sign a ballhawking safety.

Hasn't Iloka been playing out of position since Reggie left? When Reggie was here George was listed at SS since he's been gone he's been listed at FS. I know under Zim they were just labels and they could be flipped around, not sure about Guenther since I haven't been able to watch many games the last 2 seasons. Wouldn't drafting a FS and moving Iloka back to SS be the best move?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My guess:

1) R. Hewitt
2) V. Rey
3) C. Ogbuege

-looks like @ 5 million savings w/o really affecting the team makeup
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 02:38 PM)kevin Wrote: According to Bengals.com in a story headline about Bengals taking a break after busy 6 days.  It mentions the linebacker was too good to pass up and Bengals will deal with the 10 Million after the draft.  Hill just went to Patriots. They look for Jones and Bodine to other teams also. McCarron gone. Even with these players leaving, the signing of Eifert, Huber and getting a Left Tackle and a Linebacker has Bengals needing to dump payroll per Bengals.com.  They say after the draft some veterans will be gone.  They claim Bengals are looking to replace Bodine in the draft. It will be interesting to see who Bengals may trade or cut to dump payroll.  I don't know the contracts and all the legal parts but I would guess player contracts that would still not be eating cap space if gone.  Now, which Bengal contracts fall in that bucket, I have no idea, very lawyer type stuff.  Payroll cuts and veterans cut or traded is coming after the draft per Bengals.com saying Bengals need to free up cap space now.  Sounds right and I can see signing Eifert, the big name left tackle and the big name linebacker in a few days eating cap space.  Seems like Bengals know what they are doing. They probably already have a list of veterans they are getting rid of to dump payroll.  Bengals front office says they are happy the way it is going. so they must know who they are dumping late April or early May to free up cap money. Bringing in a tackle and a linebacker, I'm wondering if there is a big money tackle or a big money linebacker on this team with contracts that if cut or traded they free up cap space as opposed to still eating cap space.  Cuts are coming. People that know these contracts might be able to see who is on the bubble. Bengals did say they were going to shake things up and make moves after back to back losing seasons.

There's really no lawyer stuff when it comes to cutting salaries, it's all about the numbers.

Here's a link to salary cap and contracts for the Bengals. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/ 

Saving available by cutting these players
DE Michael Johnson saves about $5M
C TJ Johonson saves about $1.5M
OT Ced Ogbuehi saves about $1.2M
FB Ryan Hewitt saves about $1.6M

There are a bunch of guys making between $480 and 630k who can be cut without much affect either way. Those add up and we'll be drafting 11 players if we don't trade away some of those picks.

The team will not cut LaFell since he just earned a $1M roster bonus.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 07:38 PM)Bryan Wrote: Hasn't Iloka been playing out of position since Reggie left? When Reggie was here George was listed at SS since he's been gone he's been listed at FS. I know under Zim they were just labels and they could be flipped around, not sure about Guenther since I haven't been able to watch many games the last 2 seasons. Wouldn't drafting a FS and moving Iloka back to SS be the best move?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
People are talking about cutting Ryan Hewitt and I'd agree we have underutilized him so maybe we should but while we're at it could we also cut Cethan Carter? Sure it only saves us a million over two years but he I saw nothing in 2017 that made me think we'd be worse off without him. Cut Cody Core and between these two cuts you free up a million each year for the next two years.

And yeah, I feel bad for Michael Johnson but he's the other easy cut to make. Frees up about 4 million in cap space and a roster spot for the defense.

Past that, see who we draft and re-sign. If Russell Bodine does come back at a cheap price, then maybe we don't need TJ Johnson (I'd presume Bodine will eventually be a backup). A cheap re-signing of Adam Jones might mean someone else on defense gets cut, or several somebodies.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 07:38 PM)Bryan Wrote: Hasn't Iloka been playing out of position since Reggie left? When Reggie was here George was listed at SS since he's been gone he's been listed at FS. I know under Zim they were just labels and they could be flipped around, not sure about Guenther since I haven't been able to watch many games the last 2 seasons. Wouldn't drafting a FS and moving Iloka back to SS be the best move?

Yes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 08:56 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

(03-18-2018, 09:18 PM)McC Wrote: Yes.

So what do you think the odds of us doing the smart move is? I'll give them credit for making some solid moves thus far(declining Pacman's option, trading for Glenn, signing Brown, re-signing Eifert, letting Boding walk) but I wonder how long they'll keep making decent decisions.

Reply/Quote
I don't get why we have to dump salary. Isn't Eifert making less on this contract than his 5th year option? Did Huber really get a big raise? We dumped Pacman and Bodine already. Doesn't that cover most of the contracts for Baker and Brown? Then you have the fact that the salary cap went up $10 million. Sure, we took on Glenn's contract, but I was under the impression we had enough under the cap to make a move like that. Especially with that cap increase.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't get why we have to dump salary. Isn't Eifert making less on this contract than his 5th year option? Did Huber really get a big raise? We dumped Pacman and Bodine already. Doesn't that cover most of the contracts for Baker and Brown? Then you have the fact that the salary cap went up. Sure, we took on Glenn's contract, but I was under the impression we had enough under the cap to make a move like that.

Maybe they wanna call it a salary dump instead of a "Purging veterans who aren't worth it anymore"

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seeing how the team made an offer to Kurt Coleman, a free safety, I would guess that Williams would be a good guess at a Safety salary to cut.

That’s what I am assuming. We shall see. I can’t see them passing up OL this year. It seems we will have blinders on until the position is sorted.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't get why we have to dump salary. Isn't Eifert making less on this contract than his 5th year option? Did Huber really get a big raise? We dumped Pacman and Bodine already. Doesn't that cover most of the contracts for Baker and Brown? Then you have the fact that the salary cap went up $10 million. Sure, we took on Glenn's contract, but I was under the impression we had enough under the cap to make a move like that. Especially with that cap increase.

This offseason, the Bengals have added Baker, Glenn, Brown, Eifert, and Huber.  Before those moves began, they estimated 18M available to spend.  So (3+11.5+10+8+2.8=33.3M)  33.3-18=15.3M to "make up" for in going over the originally planned budget.  Sure the money is technically available, but they spent the room for extensions and injury pool.  So, they will have some tough decisions to make, otherwise there won't be any saved money to use for extending Geno and Carlos.

Edit: I forgot to factor in the Adam Jones savings. So, 15.3-6=9.3M to "make up' for. Not as bad as I initially thought.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 09:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't get why we have to dump salary. Isn't Eifert making less on this contract than his 5th year option? Did Huber really get a big raise? We dumped Pacman and Bodine already. Doesn't that cover most of the contracts for Baker and Brown? Then you have the fact that the salary cap went up $10 million. Sure, we took on Glenn's contract, but I was under the impression we had enough under the cap to make a move like that. Especially with that cap increase.

Bengals must be planning to put a good chunk of the remaining cap toward extensions of Atkins, Dunlap, and/or Dennard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 09:21 PM)Bryan Wrote: So what do you think the odds of us doing the smart move is? I'll give them credit for making some solid moves thus far(declining Pacman's option, trading for Glenn, signing Brown, re-signing Eifert, letting Boding walk) but I wonder how long they'll keep making decent decisions.

Let me put it this way.  I don't even know what to think.  And I like it that way.   Much better to shake my head in disbelief than in disgust.  If it ends right now, I'm still a happy camper.  If Bodine actually is gone, I might wet myself with glee because now we have to draft a C and we are sitting in a real good place to have our choice of the best ones.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The idea of us actually having a good LT and a good Center is almost surreal. If we do (and especially if we have a competent RT too) we might actually be able to....GASP.....run effectively. Imagine being able to routinely run and pick up the first down on those 3rd and shorts.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 10:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals must be planning to put a good chunk of the remaining cap toward extensions of Atkins, Dunlap, and/or Dennard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was my thinking as well. I don't think they should be in any sort of dire situation for this year though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 09:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This offseason, the Bengals have added Baker, Glenn, Brown, Eifert, and Huber.  Before those moves began, they estimated 18M available to spend.  So (3+11.5+10+8+2.8=33.3M)  33.3-18=15.3M to "make up" for in going over the originally planned budget.  Sure the money is technically available, but they spent the room for extensions and injury pool.  So, they will have some tough decisions to make, otherwise there won't be any saved money to use for extending Geno and Carlos.

Edit:  I forgot to factor in the Adam Jones savings.  So, 15.3-6=9.3M to "make up' for.  Not as bad as I initially thought.

Is Brown's contract 10m for 2018?

Ultimately, if they are 18+ mil below cap as it stands now, why cant we for once spend to cap? Rhetorical question....
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 11:42 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Is Brown's contract 10m for 2018?

Ultimately, if they are 18+ mil below cap as it stands now, why cant we for once spend to cap? Rhetorical question....

Because they have to put back money for the Rookie contracts, to cover additions/settlements for injuries, and it is most definitely wise to keep a fund available to bargain with existing players on extensions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2018, 03:58 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think Hewitt and Ogbuehi should be worried.

Vrey and MJ on D.

We are slim at DE though. And so is the draft. So i doubt MJ is going anywhere. And Vrey is the obvious choice to start at will again during the suspension.

Cutting hewitt and ogbuehi would save us a little. But not much

If we get rid of Hewitt that would be bad, he came in last year and was blocking good at fullback.
Reply/Quote