Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals could benefit by spending more in free agency
(03-07-2017, 04:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Katherine Terrell talks about how the Bengals have fared in free agency over the last 3 years:

The Cincinnati Bengals have been one of the least active teams in free agency over the past three years, ranking 30th in the NFL in total signings and 28th in total contract value. Here's a look at how those decisions have panned out on the field:

Total signings: 19* (30th in NFL)
Total contract value: $99,895,000 (28th in NFL)
Three-year W-L: 28-18-2

While the Bengals' philosophy of building through the draft instead of free agency has kept them from signing any epic busts, the team also hasn't gotten significantly better in the past few years. The Bengals were a playoff team for several seasons but regressed in 2016 after letting several of their own free agents go.

The Bengals could definitely stand to spend more in free agency or go after more talented players. They usually target middle-tier players such as 35-year-old linebacker Karlos Dansby, but that didn't add much to their defense in 2016. With a young core group of players in place, the Bengals could be in "win now" mode by going after bigger fish in free agency.

Full article

I mean that was actually insightful, but they have an owner that bases his draft success on starters they have produced. Don't try to tell him that playing inferior players doesn't make them a quality starter....a starter is a starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 10:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The funniest part about all of that, is the fact that with 3 more wins over that span, this team looks like they dominated and the staff looks like geniuses.  In some instances, it could have been as simple as a guy that was already a Bengal to have accepted the Bengals offer, rather than to have elected to accept similar money to play somewhere else. (See Reggie Nelson and Marvin Jones last year)

The primary problem that a lot of folks don't seem to get is that this team actually pays players what they say they will, rather than putting up these attention grabbing contract numbers that include a ton of voidable money.  I really can't argue much with their philosophy in general, but perhaps just a little more action in free agency could make the difference of being competitive and being a serious contender. 

You're right.  What catches my eye here is what you say about looking at raw stats and the big picture.  This is a PRIME EXAMPLE of why cherry picked stats to suit one's agenda in an argument don't tell the tale. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They're most likely going to sign Peko. So take that! Tongue
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote