Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals cutting Iloka
(08-21-2018, 10:33 AM)McC Wrote: I'm sure you've noticed how this bite of which you speak has been legislated out of the game.  So, no, you don't need that on your defense.  What you need is speed and instincts and play making ability.

Iloka is an okay player and that's about it.  Bates will give you everything Iloka did, at minimum, and has a chance to be a whole lot more than okay.  George is a dinosaur in today's league.  People ***** about not getting better.  Well, if you hold onto okay players, you will never get better.

Right on !

This has been a Bengals problem well since MB took over. Which a lot stems from the way of being cheap contract loyalty MB keeps in place.

Ogbuehi for example, it's glaring obvious he's never going to be anything more than what he is. A very subpar OT
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Iloka cut isn’t all that hard to get. The bengals want more turnovers. He had what, 2 career ints? He regressed after getting paid and was overpaid relative to his performance. Looking at Kurt Coleman in free agency and drafting Bates put the writing on the wall.

Eric Reid and the former charger safety is still out there I think. I can’t recall his name. There was probably little trade market for iloka at his salary. That salary will hopefully go towards geno and Carlos extensions.

I also think they are liking what they see in Wilson and Henderson, among others to feel comfortable with this move. It’s not like this will keep us from winning a playoff game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:33 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Shaw's not taking his place... At most hes a backup Saftey and CB

if bates out played him why pay him to sit the bench

I guess I'm just shocked people think higher of Williams (what has he done again) then they have Iloka all this time. Our Safety's were good with Nelson and Iloka. Never with any combination along with Williams. Just watch the last two preseasons games. Iloka was all over the place making tackles breaking up passes. Williams was and is nowhere to be found. Hasn't made a play yet.

Very rarely do I remember people slamming Iloka like they are now on this board.

Don't be surprised if Iloka is a probowl player at his next stop. Someone will play him at his right position.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: I guess I'm just shocked people think higher of Williams (what has he done again) then they have Iloka all this time. Our Safety's were good with Nelson and Iloka. Never with any combination along with Williams. Just watch the last two preseasons games. Iloka was all over the place making tackles breaking up passes. Williams was and is nowhere to be found. Hasn't made a play yet.

Very rarely do I remember people slamming Iloka like they are now on this board.

Don't be surprised if Iloka is a probowl player at his next stop. Someone will play him at his right position.

Well I haven't slammed the Dude...  We had 2 starting strong safeties they kept the younger one with more years left under contract to play with the new Free Safety
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:08 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right on !

This has been a Bengals problem well since MB took over. Which a lot stems from the way of being cheap contract loyalty MB keeps in place.

Ogbuehi for example, it's glaring obvious he's never going to be anything more than what he is. A very subpar OT

Yes Og is a bad pick but when you invest in a 1st rounder on someone you try and get it to pan out.. Very doubtful hes on the final 53.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 04:40 PM)Synric Wrote: After the first second of utter shock you can see why this happened. Iloka was payed to really take that big leap after Reggie left, but he actually took a step back  Shawn Williams has been the best safety on the team over the last couple years. This move also gets me excited about Bates who must have really impressed enough to make it possible.

....now we better hear about a Carlos or Geno signing very soon

what he said ^^
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: I guess I'm just shocked people think higher of Williams (what has he done again) then they have Iloka all this time. Our Safety's were good with Nelson and Iloka. Never with any combination along with Williams. Just watch the last two preseasons games. Iloka was all over the place making tackles breaking up passes. Williams was and is nowhere to be found. Hasn't made a play yet.

Sorry i found Iloka looking slow out there.. he has been on a regression for three years.. i think just turned 30.. i feel he lost a step, they drafted Bates for a reason, to replace a safety.. performance, cap hit, age and maybe where Bates looked the best [ strong safety] they made the decision.  As i stated before. the one trend over the last few years has been moving to youth and speed.  I think the article today points that out well.

https://www.bengals.com/news/defense-hits-fast-forward
Reply/Quote
Even with the safety market the way it has been. I am stunned Iloka doesnt have a team yet. I havent heard about a visit. What the heck?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 12:36 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Even with the safety market the way it has been. I am stunned Iloka doesnt have a team yet. I havent heard about a visit. What the heck?

Paulie G looking to reunite him with Reggie Nelson in Oakland. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: Just remember Iloka was here during some of the years Zimmer was forced to call up Chris Crocker and put him in the secondary as the "QB". Every year he did that the explosive plays abruptly stopped once he was out there. If Iloka was the QB why was it necessary to get Crocker back?

Not true at all; Crocker was brought back to satrt in place of Mays not Iloka. In 13 Crocker played the slot not safety. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you think Iloka was near as good without Reggie Nelson you are crazy Jake.

He clearly fell off once Reggie left and i guess everyone could see it but you.

Reggie was the FS lining up the Secondary when he was here, then Iloka inherited the job and was not near as good.

Nothing against Iloka, i just thought he would of been much better and evidently so did everybody else.

All the best to the man who i used to call George of the Jungle. But this sounds like the right move in todays NFL.

Jessie Bates III is the new breed.

Dude your wrong and know where close to being right.  Iloka has always played the deep zone, Iloka replaced crocker in the secondary who's job was to line it up which Iloka has done well.  His responsibility and Bates responsibility are two totally different things.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 12:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Dude your wrong and know where close to being right.  Iloka has always played the deep zone, Iloka replaced crocker in the secondary who's job was to line it up which Iloka has done well.  His responsibility and Bates responsibility are two totally different things.

How can you say i was wrong? BTW, hate to be the spelling police here but when you type words that don't mean
the same thing it is extremely confusing. It is nowhere, not know where.

Iloka was extremely young when Reggie was here, no way as a rookie was Iloka lining up the Defense.

Crazy talk i tell yah, crazy talk. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How can you say i was wrong? BTW, hate to be the spelling police here but when you type words that don't mean
the same thing it is extremely confusing. It is nowhere, not know where.

Iloka was extremely young when Reggie was here, no way as a rookie was Iloka lining up the Defense.

Crazy talk i tell yah, crazy talk. Shocked
Well Iloka actually learned the system before he became a starter; spent one year as a backup then became the starter. He was properly prepared for the role. 
What's crazy talk is you think three unproven players can take easily take over his role without any warrent. Fej, Williams, and Shaw are very unproven at this point.
J24

Reply/Quote
Only agree with move if OL help is purchased with extra money.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 02:04 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Well Iloka actually learned the system before he became a starter; spent one year as a backup then became the starter. He was properly prepared for the role. 
What's crazy talk is you think three unproven players can take easily take over his role without any warrent. Fej, Williams, and Shaw are very unproven at this point.

Hey Jake, i liked Iloka i really did, but the last two seasons he was not playing great or anything especially in
getting turnovers. The coaches think our young players are prepared to take over his role and cause more TO's.

Also getting rid of his salary might allow us to extend Geno and Dunlap and hopefully bring in a decent RT.

Not going to cry over the spilt milk that might not of even been spilt in the first place.

Good luck to George in Minnesota, think he might do well there with Harrison Smith next to him.
Reply/Quote