Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals defense against TEs
(07-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we really developed that reputation (on the boards) after Owen Daniels and Matt Schaub play-actioned us to death in the 2012 playoff game. Aside from that, I've never really thought Tight Ends killed us or anything. Of course, I know some have felt differently...obviously.

Stats may not show it, but all I remember is the opposing TE's making those big plays that eventually led to our loss, more so with the Squeelers that seem to have had us well studied.

We were winning and just needing to hold them off to get the W and boom, open TE for a TD or for a huge gain that kept them alive or gave them that huge play to win it in that same drive.

I could be wrong but I think that's why everyone feels opposing TE's were crucial in beating us. Cry
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 05:28 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I'm replying to this so I can see people aimlessly defend Dre. 

Is there really any defense of Dre?  Aside from "he's a Bengal", and "he was a 1st round selection", I can't come up with a whole lot.  He's had some good games, but his overall body of work is rather average.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 01:41 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Why throw to the TE when Dre sucks Ninja

Do you realize that means Dre must have been great last year when the TEs were killing us.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 09:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Do you realize that means Dre must have been great last year when the TEs were killing us.

Or

It means the LB's were worse than Dre Ninja
Reply/Quote
I'm just glad Heath Miller doesnt play anymore
Reply/Quote
Jim O's article says that Preston Brown has been working on coverage all off season and that Austin is demanding a new ball hawking strategy this season from D.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Jim O's article says that Preston Brown has been working on coverage all off season and that Austin is demanding a new ball hawking strategy this season from D.

Remembering the cardiac cats, the D was explosive and always kept us in it. I hope we see this again with Austin’s philosophy.

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Jim O's article says that Preston Brown has been working on coverage all off season and that Austin is demanding a new ball hawking strategy this season from D.

Ain't nothin' prettier than watching a guy like big 'Tez, taking a pick 6 to the house.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Jim O's article says that Preston Brown has been working on coverage all off season and that Austin is demanding a new ball hawking strategy this season from D.

That will be so nice to see. We've had several long stretch's with basically no turnovers on D. It makes a giant difference getting a short field ever now and again !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 12:58 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That will be so nice to see. We've had several long stretch's with basically no turnovers on D. It makes a giant difference getting a short field ever now and again !

Absolutely and so looking forward to it. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ain't nothin' prettier than watching a guy like big 'Tez, taking a pick 6 to the house.

Especially against Pittsburgh!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 01:10 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Especially against Pittsburgh!

I have this recurring dream, where 'Tez levels JuJu on a slant, the ball pops up in the air, 'Tez snatches it and takes it in for the go-ahead score.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have this recurring dream, where 'Tez levels JuJu on a slant, the ball pops up in the air, 'Tez snatches it and takes it in for the go-ahead score.

That would be amazing.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2018, 04:01 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Jim Haslett.... Not trying  to bash our coaches here, in fact I like the new blood. That said, I've been watching Haslett for years, and I've watched him ruin a good defense and LBer corps on more than one occasion. Not sure if what he does bring to the table is worth the bad things that he also brings with his coaching philosophy.

You and i see the same thing Coach.

I might be the most positive dude on this board but Haslett i cannot be positive about.

I am liking Austin though and maybe with a better DC it might help him. I haven't seen any of our TE's making catches
in Training Camp so far. Hopefully it is improved LB play. The Wideouts are the players making the plays, namely Ross,
Erickson and Tate which is great news honestly.
Reply/Quote
Last year was the first year without the oft-criticized, solid force of Peko in the middle of the defensive front. If a QB has a pocket to step up in to, or at least good vision of the middle of the field the TE is a logical target.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:15 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Colts game last year their TE almost single handily beat us.   Doyle was his name.   Think he had like 15 catches for 150 yards.   That was the only time I remember a TE really destroying us.

I smartly started Doyle in every fantasy league I had him in that week.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 06:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Last year was the first year without the oft-criticized, solid force of Peko in the middle of the defensive front.  If a QB has a pocket to step up in to, or at least good vision of the middle of the field the TE is a logical target.

I know you know this, but Peko was often criticized for not adding much in the pass rush department. It was also expected that Billings, a projected 1st-round talent leading up to the draft, would have been able to not only be just as good as Peko against the run but also add more as a pass rusher. I don't think many people thought it could actually have gotten worse than Peko, but it sure did.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know you know this, but Peko was often criticized for not adding much in the pass rush department. It was also expected that Billings, a projected 1st-round talent leading up to the draft, would have been able to not only be just as good as Peko against the run but also add more as a pass rusher. I don't think many people thought it could actually have gotten worse than Peko, but it sure did.

Had a Billings siting today...
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we really developed that reputation (on the boards) after Owen Daniels and Matt Schaub play-actioned us to death in the 2012 playoff game. 

That's a good point.  Fred's stats seem to back this.....color me a bit surprised.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have this recurring dream, where 'Tez levels JuJu on a slant, the ball pops up in the air, 'Tez snatches it and takes it in for the go-ahead score.

........aaannnnndddd then gets suspended. Sad

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote