Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals defense better than Browns?
Take away rookies, that lb situation doesn’t look good for the browns. Our DT, LB, and safeties are better. CB could be a toss up.
Reply/Quote
Could it be better, sure anything is possible.

But it isn't just about the guys on paper. It's a complete picture and that includes scheme, coaching and scouting and in two of those areas for sure, the Browns are far and away ahead right now. We will see if our D coordinator still deserves to be here as the year progresses and who knows, maybe the defense comes out, surprises and ranks in the upper parts, but right now the Browns D has to viewed as better based on what they did last year and the odds they will continue.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lou Anarumo still here? Then no.

At the end of the day, the Browns had the 9th ranked rushing defense last year and the Bengals had the 29th. If you can't stop the run in the AFCN, you can't win right now because the Browns and Ravens will run all over you.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Better at being worse maybe....

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
No the Browns have arguably the best edge rusher in the NFL and one of the Best CBs in the NFL in Denzel Ward.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I fully expect the Browns to Brown this year and implode. The Factory of Sadness will not be denied.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 01:09 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: Take away rookies, that lb situation doesn’t look good for the browns. Our DT, LB, and safeties are better. CB could be a toss up.

The best defense the Browns have is their offense, specifically their running game.  They can play keep away and grind teams out.  Sure, they have a passing attack as well and that is also a benefactor of their run game.  

With respect to the defenses, though, I don't see anyone on the Bengal's defense that can wreck a game plan like Myles Garrett.  The fact that they added the oft-injured Clowney to play the other side gives them two potentially elite DEs.  I don't see that on the Bengals.  

I will say that I see a lot of high-motor guys that should be very adept at stuffing the run game.  That is miles better than what we had last year and I am very much looking forward to watching them.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I fully expect the Browns to Brown this year and implode. The Factory of Sadness will not be denied.

I think the Browns are the top of the division and I am hoping it is pitt that implodes.  Baltimore seems to always be tough.  Their defense just keeps them in every game.  

Tough-ass division, no doubt.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I fully expect the Browns to Brown this year and implode. The Factory of Sadness will not be denied.

You've just convinced me the Bengals cant succeed either.  Thanks a lot. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 01:09 AM)willieFANderson Wrote: Take away rookies, that lb situation doesn’t look good for the browns. Our DT, LB, and safeties are better. CB could be a toss up.

How about they play a real game first before we anointment them above scrub level.
Reply/Quote
Stop it.
Reply/Quote
The fact of the matter is,this defense will be much better this year,as opposed to last year.How much better? Well that remains to be seen.If Ja’Maar Chase starts catching everything thrown his way,then I think we are playoff bound.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:02 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The fact of the matter is,this defense will be much better this year,as opposed to last year.How much better? Well that remains to be seen.If Ja’Maar Chase starts catching everything thrown his way,then I think we are playoff bound.

True, but at the same time if the Browns defense gets better with the additions they've made via the draft and free agency and Baker Mayfield and OBJ get into the form that a 1st overall pick QB and a former elite WR can get into to compliment their 2 headed running attack, the Browns could win it all.
Reply/Quote
With a healthy roster we should see significant improvement.
Reply/Quote
I’d just be happy with the 3rd best defense in the division. I think we’ll end up in the teens when it comes to rankings this year which would be massive improvement. Really depends on if Logan Wilson can make a huge step this year IMO. I believe we’ve improved the line.. secondary seems about as good, if we can get some improved play at the LB spot I think we’ll be pretty happy around here. I guess what I’m saying is, is this the year we finally cover and tackle the underneath throws?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’d just be happy with the 3rd best defense in the division. I think we’ll end up in the teens when it comes to rankings this year which would be massive improvement. Really depends on if Logan Wilson can make a huge step this year IMO. I believe we’ve improved the line.. secondary seems about as good, if we can get some improved play at the LB spot I think we’ll be pretty happy around here. I guess what I’m saying is, is this the year we finally cover and tackle the underneath throws?

Agreed.  Our defense and o line both just being "not awful" would be quite the step up regarding our overall success as a team.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed.  Our defense and o line both just being "not awful" would be quite the step up regarding our overall success as a team.

That's what I'm hoping for, "not awful" . We've gotten gashed in the run game, a lot, the last few seasons. And generally speaking if you can't stop the run you're beat.

As far as better than the Browns ? That would be a really big leap in one season ! With our current coaching staff more like a miracle.

I hope but I doubt it.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 12:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's what I'm hoping for, "not awful" . We've gotten gashed in the run game, a lot, the last few seasons. And generally speaking if you can't stop the run you're beat.

As far as better than the Browns ? That would be a really big leap in one season ! With our current coaching staff more like a miracle.

I hope but I doubt it.

Never say never, but I'm pretty sure the Browns were:

1. better than us last year
2. made more/better defensive draft picks/FA signings
3. have better defensive coaches

So we COULD be better, but it's not entirely likely.  
Reply/Quote
The Browns while they run a 4 2 5
Like the Bengals, its just a better defense
From top to bottom.
Myles.Garrett alone is enough to give the
Browns defense an edge over the Bengals defense
He commands double teams and is disruptor
He is going to free up.Clowney and McKinely.
Their secondary is better at coming up crucial
INTs
Reply/Quote