Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals draft makes statement that they are not worried about the O-line
The Bengals bet the Farm that they could build up other areas besides the O-line in the 2017 draft.

John Ross (4.22) and Josh Malone (4.40) add wide receiver speed. (Also have 4.47 Cody Core)

Like Joe Mixon or not he will be a STUD on the field, IMO.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson bring some athletic benders to the pass rush.

Had 1st choice of a kicker in Jake Elliott. Hopefully they picked the right one.

DT Ryan Glasgow plays mean and Center JJ Diehlman can develop at guard or center.

LB Jordan Evans ran a 4.50 forty with a 6 foot 3 inch frame to add weight now at 232 pounds.

Corner Brandon Wilson may be a steal. Ran a 4.37 forty at 5 foot 11 and 200 pounds. Knee surgery a year ago dropped his stock from what I understand. I saw ESPN footage and he looked like a 2nd rounder as a strong fluid athlete.

Mason Schreck tight end at 6 foot 5 and 258 pounds is considered a solid blocking tight end that can run well and catch. Looks smart and hard to bring down.

* No Offensive Lineman taken until late round 5, then no others taken.

** This speaks Volumes.

*** The Bengals are not worried about the O-line.

**** After an entire 2016 season of feeling out the Strengths and Weaknesses of what they had, they felt Comfortable letting Zeitler and Whit go. Then comfortable enough to only Draft one lineman and that was late in round 5.

***** The same O-line coach that Drafted and developed Whit is satisfied with what he has to Develop now on the roster.

They likely consider Cedric Ogbuehi to be the biggest question mark with a Plan for how to shift things if Cedric struggles at Left Tackle.

Draft shows they are Satisfied with their O-line Plans, like it or not.

Having HEALTHY WEAPONS virtually everywhere now should take pressure off of the O-line.
The 2016 O-line was depleted of Healthy Weapons like Eifert, AJ, Gio which allowed Defenses to attack it more aggressively. Bring back Eifert, AJ & Gio plus Mixon and John Ross and the O-line may look much better even if it isn't.

This Bet the Bengals have made may just Pan Out well enough for 2017 to be a Good year if the O-line does develop and Weapons stay healthy to keep Defenses honest and on their heals.
Reply/Quote
While I think that they don't see the line as a huge risk like nearly everyone on this board, some thing else sticks out - the low talent level overall of the linemen in this draft.

I'm happy that they didn't reach, because their first 4 picks were as good as any team's draft and very well could be as good as any of our drafts we've had in the Marvin era.
Reply/Quote
Bengals draft makes statement that they are not worried about the O-Line...

[Image: 05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg]

It's going to be a lot like how they made a statement of how much faith they had in Nugent after the 2016 preseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't see an offensive line guy at 9 that was worth taking. In the 2nd Round...they loved Mixon. It was obvious from his visits that they were going to draft him.

Beyond that...they just went BAP. It's doubtful that they would have found a starter on the offensive line in Rounds 3+.

They have to play Ced to develop him. I remember guys like Boling and Levi Jones struggled initially...so there is hope.

If they drafted a rookie in Round 3 and started him...he would have struggled too.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals draft makes statement that they are not worried about the O-Line...

[Image: 05onfire1_xp-master768-v2.jpg]

It's going to be a lot like how they made a statement of how much faith they had in Nugent after the 2016 preseason.

Your cartoon may come true.

If it doesn't & the O-line actually holds up like the Bengals obviously think it will then this Draft could be a Game Changer to the Upside.

They loaded the Bases and now are Swinging for the Fences with our weakest hitter (The O-Line) up to bat with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

AJ, Eifert, Gio, Boyd, Mixon and John Ross all ready to score with an O-line hit and our Defense got better.

I'm cautiously STOKED...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see an offensive line guy at 9 that was worth taking. In the 2nd Round...they loved Mixon. It was obvious from his visits that they were going to draft him.

Beyond that...they just went BAP. It's doubtful that they would have found a starter on the offensive line in Rounds 3+.

They have to play Ced to develop him. I remember guys like Boling and Levi Jones struggled initially...so there is hope.

If they drafted a rookie in Round 3 and started him...he would have struggled too.

You are EXACTLY right. Well said.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:46 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals bet the Farm that they could build up other areas besides the O-line in the 2017 draft.

John Ross (4.22) and Josh Malone (4.40) add wide receiver speed. (Also have 4.47 Cody Core)

Like Joe Mixon or not he will be a STUD on the field, IMO.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson bring some athletic benders to the pass rush.

Had 1st choice of a kicker in Jake Elliott. Hopefully they picked the right one.

DT Ryan Glasgow plays mean and Center JJ Diehlman can develop at guard or center.

LB Jordan Evans ran a 4.50 forty with a 6 foot 3 inch frame to add weight now at 232 pounds.

Corner Brandon Wilson may be a steal. Ran a 4.37 forty at 5 foot 11 and 200 pounds. Knee surgery a year ago dropped his stock from what I understand. I saw ESPN footage and he looked like a 2nd rounder as a strong fluid athlete.

Mason Schreck tight end at 6 foot 5 and 258 pounds is considered a solid blocking tight end that can run well and catch. Looks smart and hard to bring down.

* No Offensive Lineman taken until late round 5, then no others taken.

** This speaks Volumes.

*** The Bengals are not worried about the O-line.

**** After an entire 2016 season of feeling out the Strengths and Weaknesses of what they had, they felt Comfortable letting Zeitler and Whit go. Then comfortable enough to only Draft one lineman and that was late in round 5.

***** The same O-line coach that Drafted and developed Whit is satisfied with what he has to Develop now on the roster.

They likely consider Cedric Ogbuehi to be the biggest question mark with a Plan for how to shift things if Cedric struggles at Left Tackle.

Draft shows they are Satisfied with their O-line Plans, like it or not.

Having HEALTHY WEAPONS virtually everywhere now should take pressure off of the O-line.
The 2016 O-line was depleted of Healthy Weapons like Eifert, AJ, Gio which allowed Defenses to attack it more aggressively. Bring back Eifert, AJ & Gio plus Mixon and John Ross and the O-line may look much better even if it isn't.

This Bet the Bengals have made may just Pan Out well enough for 2017 to be a Good year if the O-line does develop and Weapons stay healthy to keep Defenses honest and on their heals.

Brandon Wilson also ran a 4.36 40, but ran a 4.42 shuttle (pretty bad for a CB). bengals went after speed, speed, speed.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our O line is terrible right now, but they are young.

We have drafted o lineman the last three years with very early draft picks. You play them and hope they pan out at this point.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Still mad the Bengals didn't address the line in FA. Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Smith-Fisher doesn't look good on paper...to say the least.

To go into the season without some veteran insurance is brazen and foolish.

That said, we'll see if it can be any worse than 41 sacks last year. There's more room to go up than down.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:30 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Brandon Wilson also ran a 4.36 40, but ran a 4.42 shuttle (pretty bad for a CB). bengals went after speed, speed, speed.

Is it possible they're mimicking the Falcons? I heard a lot about their team speed during the SB run.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is it possible they're mimicking the Falcons? I heard a lot about their team speed during the SB run.

I agree Bengals obviously decided speed was a prerequisite to be a round  through 4 pick and I know Falcons speed impressed me
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
They were talking during the draft about how Olinemen coming out of college are being less and less ready to play NFL style football, so, if you want a ready lineman, FA is the best place to find them. Somebody has already done the work of getting them there.

Problem with this is, it is driving up the price for these veterans, which puts the Bengals farther and farther away from being in the mix to sign one.

If you need a lineman, you'd better be sure to draft one two or three years before you need him to start.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis did say the offensive line was not a concern.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is it possible they're mimicking the Falcons? I heard a lot about their team speed during the SB run.

No doubt about it. Last years team was really slow, and Marv is addressing that. He even said after the draft he hopes this raises some eyes in the locker room
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 04:48 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: No doubt about it. Last years team was really slow, and Marv is addressing that. He even said after the draft he hopes this raises some eyes in the locker room

John Ross has never seen before speed with an All Time combine 4.22.

Add a healthy William Jackson III with 4.37 speed also to the Defense.
Reply/Quote
I was hoping for a little more OL help, but this OL class was terrible. Only 33 OL were drafted and that's a modern era low. 23 of those 33 were drafted on day 3.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yep. NOW IF Robinson fell to us in the 2nd Round...it would be interesting to see IF we took him and then tried to get another 2nd Round pick for Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 03:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Still mad the Bengals didn't address the line in FA. Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Smith-Fisher doesn't look good on paper...to say the least.

To go into the season without some veteran insurance is brazen and foolish.

That said, we'll see if it can be any worse than 41 sacks last year. There's more room to go up than down.

I'm with Benton is that the line will be better next year, but I'm not sure how "good" they'll be. Run blocking seems to be the elephant in the room, as PA has done good with pass pro, save last year (cough...og...cough) I've always thought to myself that our line isn't that "nasty". they don't have an a certain attitude or swagger to them that's noticeable IMO. And being a little league coach, I've learned outside of good fundamentals, have an attitude is what gets the run game going. You want dudes that are pretty much flat out crazy, because let's be honest, it's a crazy position to play. I hope OG getting beat like a drum, bodine always getting shitted on, and Fisher getting ready for a new contract soon this will be a different line.

One can hope, right?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 05:01 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was hoping for a little more OL help, but this OL class was terrible. Only 33 OL were drafted and that's a modern era low. 23 of those 33 were drafted on day 3.

If the OL is as bad as the experts and teams thought, then it also makes it very hard to evaluate DL. If they can't beat poor college OL, then they are in deep trouble going against the NFL OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see an offensive line guy at 9 that was worth taking. In the 2nd Round...they loved Mixon. It was obvious from his visits that they were going to draft him.

They struggled initially but still showed flashes of potential. For example, Boling showed how good he was a pulling even though he struggled in other areas. 

Ced showed literally nothing to suggest that even at best he'd be an average LT. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote