Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals draft tendency
(01-20-2022, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: I understand that philosophy, but it gets tough when you're picking in that 25-32 range.  If you're picking in that range, you probably don't have a lot of holes where a guy taken in that spot came come in and start quickly.  It's also rare that value and need intersect in those spots.  

For example, most of us tentatively have CB as a 1st round need(assuming we dump Wayne's).  If there's a run on CB's before our pick, do you take a CB you've got a 2nd round grade on that could still start early or take a WR in Williams that you've got a Top 10 grade on?  

Personally, I'm more of a fill your holes in FA/draft BPA guy, but I get that that philosophy also has it's pitfalls.

I don't typically like to reach for a 2nd rounder into the 1st, so what I'd do instead is look for a player at a position that doesn't have great starters.
OL, LB, and even TE come to mind if not DB.

Try to fill what holes you can in FA, but you won't be able to turn every starter at all positions into above average just through FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 12:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I can't imagine they'd go after a top-tier WR to be a WR4.
I would only do this if looking to trade Boyd to free up some cap.
With his injury, I doubt he falls further than early 2nd.

It's pretty clear the pick should be either OL, DB, DT, or possibly TE if Uzomah leaves.

Even if Uzomah leaves. With this offense and the lack of tight end emphasis why on gods green earth with all of our needs would we even consider TE in 1? Just curious.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 03:00 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Even if Uzomah leaves.  With this offense and the lack of tight end emphasis why on gods green earth with all of our needs would we even consider TE in 1?  Just curious.

Agree. I think CJ is a good player. But not great. At all. Burrow makes him way better. As he will do with any TE we stick there. CJ obviously is great for the team and morale but on the field talent? He is nothing special at all. We do not need to draft a TE in the first round. Or the first 3 rounds. We have all the weapons we need on offense. 4th-5th string WR can be found way later in the draft or FA. CJ can re sign or we can sign some other decent TE
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 03:00 PM)JoyrideJoe15 Wrote: Even if Uzomah leaves.  With this offense and the lack of tight end emphasis why on gods green earth with all of our needs would we even consider TE in 1?  Just curious.

TE is not something I'd prioritize over most, but I'd go after a TE1 over a WR4.
Uzomah had 63 targets.
I'd think a starting TE (especially one drafted in Rd 1) would get more targets than WR4.
WR4 probably isn't going to do that much unless there's an injury.

I'm assuming Bengals will re-sign either Hill or Ogunjobi, setting the starters on the DL.
WR1 through WR3 and RB1 are set with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon.
When I said "OL, LB, or possibly TE if not DB," I meant I'd be leaning toward DB, OL, and LB ahead of TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 02:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Jameson Williams is an interesting case right now. The Bengals severly need depth at WR but need depth at alot of positions. Williams tore his ACL in January which will likely mean he won't be ready to go until at least late November. He could possibly be in for a big slide I'd he makes it to late 3rd (unlikely) I wouldnt complain about the pick but in rounds 1 or 2 plus missing most of his rookie year would be a deal breaker for me.

I've seen a 6-9 month timetable on his injury.  That would mean ready for TC as a best case scenario and October as the worst case. 

From what I've seen, he's not expected to fall out of the 1st round.  Obviously, all that can change, but it seems doubtful he tumbles to the late 2nd/3rd.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 08:05 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: We have no business taking a wr at all really. After round 4i wouldn't be mad but still wouldn't really like it. We have 3studs and pretty good back ups. We also don't need to take any running backs. Focus on offensive line and sprinkle in some defense.

Normally I'd agree, but there is room for a WR on this team.  After the big 3, we have a bunch of guys that don't really scare anyone.

Give me a 4th-6th round return guy that can also play a little WR.  There's a need for a guy like that on our roster, but I'm sure not spending a day 1-2 pick on him.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 04:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Normally I'd agree, but there is room for a WR on this team.  After the big 3, we have a bunch of guys that don't really scare anyone.

Give me a 4th-6th round return guy that can also play a little WR.  There's a need for a guy like that on our roster, but I'm sure not spending a day 1-2 pick on him.

A guy like Josh Reynolds should be able to sign for cheaper and be that WR4.
I still agree with a late-rounder who can also return, but adding a cheap veteran can help provide more security while still being cost effective.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A guy like Josh Reynolds should be able to sign for cheaper and be that WR4.
I still agree with a late-rounder who can also return, but adding a cheap veteran can help provide more security while still being cost effective.

This. And there will be plenty of fa guys hanging around. We have the starters. We just need depth. And maybe some return action. Can get that in fa easily. We have a QB that makes players better now. 

I would not be angry if we drafted one later but I don't think we need to at all. Rather take more depth at other spots that could become starters. Potential to become starters. They won't start at wr on this team for a long time
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 09:16 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not as bad as the O-line depth 

Actually our O-line depth is great, it's just the front line guys that need improvement.

There aren't that many teams that can roll out the following for a game or 2 and have some decent play:

Carman, Adenji, Prince, Fred Johnson.  That's a pretty solid group.  The problem is when those guys are forced to play for multiple games.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 06:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A guy like Josh Reynolds should be able to sign for cheaper and be that WR4.

Man, I have Josh Reynolds PTSD from last year's off-season discussions, lol.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 01:43 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Actually our O-line depth is great, it's just the front line guys that need improvement.

There aren't that many teams that can roll out the following for a game or 2 and have some decent play:

Carman, Adenji, Prince, Fred Johnson.  That's a pretty solid group.  The problem is when those guys are forced to play for multiple games.

Agree frontline players is what we desperately need, yet still feel this is a problem 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Never dreamt this would turn into a WR thread with all the names listed and that being our most loaded position that only requires depth added.

Would want Evan Neal first but obviously he will be long gone without trading up, which I would not do.

I want DT Jordan Davis if he lasts that long but only if O-line is fixed in FA. Which I believe is the best avenue to pursue with Burrow being such a hot commodity and not really wanting to rely on rookies protecting him during this window of opportunity the Bengals are presently within.

Plus Bengals have had very good luck with Georgia players in draft and obviously Zac is killing it drafting Champions.

Speaking of positions we don't really need, would love to draft Dalvin Cook's brother Georgia's RB James Cook if he slips into the 4th round to alleviate some of the load Mixon is shouldering as well.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 07:54 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: This. And there will be plenty of fa guys hanging around. We have the starters. We just need depth. And maybe some return action. Can get that in fa easily. We have a QB that makes players better now. 

I would not be angry if we drafted one later but I don't think we need to at all. Rather take more depth at other spots that could become starters. Potential to become starters. They won't start at wr on this team for a long time

I would disagree with this.  I love Burrow, but I think a lot of people overestimate his ability to elevate WR's.  I mean, Tate still sucks.  Thomas still sucks.  Morgan still sucks.  Irwin still sucks.  He really hasn't shown much ability to squeeze extra production out of mediocre WR's.  He's shown that he will decimate all if you give good ones, though.
Reply/Quote
Taking a WR in round 1 is the dumbest move we could make, other than QB, of course.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Taking a WR in round 1 is the dumbest move we could make, other than QB, of course.

Absolutely 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Personally, there is no way I am trusting the O-line fix to a rookie starter next year. This offseason is way too important to screw around with developmental players.

If there was ever a year to finally blow some money on a top tier RG/RT, this is it. We can't walk into next season with rookies hoping to make an impact.

Spend the free agent $$ on the line and draft BPA (even if it's a O-lineman)
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 12:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Personally, there is no way I am trusting the O-line fix to a rookie starter next year.  This offseason is way too important to screw around with developmental players.

If there was ever a year to finally blow some money on a top tier RG/RT, this is it.   We can't walk into next season with rookies hoping to make an impact.

Spend the free agent $$ on the line and draft BPA (even if it's a O-lineman)

Agree 100% and am ok if they decide to go RT, RG, C as well if they can finagle the money somehow, but at least how you suggested. Nobody is safe in my book, if the spot can be upgraded then it should be immediately. 

Plus we've seen that Zac has a great eye drafting players so pretty sure he could load the Bengals up nicely going BPA after O-line is fixed in FA. 

Like you said Bengals need proven veterans to protect Burrow and not rookie gambles in this next two year window. Especially since we will not have a high draft pick this year picking at 32. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Never dreamt this would turn into a WR thread with all the names listed and that being our most loaded position that only requires depth added.

Would want Evan Neal first but obviously he will be long gone without trading up, which I would not do.

I want DT Jordan Davis if he lasts that long but only if O-line is fixed in FA. Which I believe is the best avenue to pursue with Burrow being such a hot commodity and not really wanting to rely on rookies protecting him during this window of opportunity the Bengals are presently within.

Plus Bengals have had very good luck with Georgia players in draft and obviously Zac is killing it drafting Champions.  

Speaking of positions we don't really need, would love to draft Dalvin Cook's brother Georgia's RB  James Cook if he slips into the 4th round to alleviate some of the load Mixon is shouldering as well.

Williams is the only WR I'm discussing in 1, and that's because he's a Top 10 prospect.  If we're becoming a perennial playoff team, opportunities at Top 10 prospects are going to be very few and far between.  I don't see how he can be dismissed when we don't know how FA will go and who's available when we pick.  FWIW, Buffalo's WR4 scored 4 TD's last night.  

RB is a bigger need than a lot of people realize.  We can't keep whistling past the graveyard with Mixon's health.  I don't think the offense can withstand a significant injury to Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 03:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Taking a WR in round 1 is the dumbest move we could make, other than QB, of course.

I was kind of hoping people would have gotten the toxicity out of their systems after last year's draft discussion, but it looks like there's no danger of that happening.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: I was kind of hoping people would have gotten the toxicity out of their systems after last year's draft discussion, but it looks like there's no danger of that happening.

Is this serious? Toxicity? I think it would be pretty dumb as well to take a WR or a qb in the first... but More importantly I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having that opinion.
Reply/Quote