Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals extend Shawn Williams
Coming in on this late, but though it's odd timing it's logical financially. Locking him in means you aren't negotiating with him coming off of a great season. If I'm reading this correctly (4M guaranteed) , he can literally lose his job this year to Smith and be an expensive backup for one year, and then they cut him two years from now with little dead money. We ask what's the rush, but the real question is what's the risk? If he plays above average around a great defense then it's hard to not see him getting that same deal with more guaranteed money on the market. If he doesn't play well then what are they really out? Here's to a great season from Williams and one less deal to worry about.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 09:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was just fine with locking him up as he looks like Reggie's long term replacement. That said, $5 million per seems a bit high for an unproven safety. I liked what I saw in the 4 games he started last year, but you can't rationally argue that he's a proven player.

Sure, coaches know what he looks like in practice, etc, but what if the guy turns out to be brittle? What if he doesn't play Reggie's spot as well as he played in place of Iloka?

Glad we got him locked up, but hopefully he'll be good enough to justify that average salary. The Bengals usually honor contracts all the way through, so it'll be interesting to see how he plays this season.

I mean, it's essentially a 1 year, 4 mil guranteed if he for some reason is doo-doo. 4 mil. Not going to break the bank.

Also this contract doesn't start until 2017 I do believe. So they will know what they have and be able to plan accordingly during the off-season.

And btw, I think Carlos Dunlap had what 2 starts before he got his deal? That turned out ok  :-0
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 04:09 PM)TGISunday Wrote: I agree with the skeptics: why not wait until after preseason?  

Shawn was originally brought in to take the spot lloka usurped from him in camp.  What if someone like Shaw would light a fire and at least compete with him for the job?

Iloka usurped him because Williams couldn't play due to injury. If Williams wasn't hurt then we might be having a different discussion on who got what deal.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 09:13 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Iloka usurped him because Williams couldn't play due to injury. If Williams wasn't hurt then we might be having a different discussion on who got what deal.

I like the fact you used the term "usurped". ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 08:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Almost certain it won't happen until next offseason.

Eifert has two years left on his contract and it's not clear if he's going to be paid like a talented but often injured player, or a talented player who's just had some bad luck in the past. Look for 2016 to answer that question.

I cannot imagine that Eifert would consider an extension at this point.  He has first round money, so there is not a "need".  If he can prove to stay healthy for an entire season, his value goes up dramatically.  If he can stay healthy for both 2016 and 2017 (fifth year option), he'll be looking at Gronk money.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2016, 09:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Evidently, the team thinks that he has shown them that his developmental phase was a success, and are now ready to see him assume the starting role.  I had huge hopes, when Williams was drafted, and was so disappointed when he was slow to see game reps.  He was a really good player at UGA.  That is the luxury of taking guys in the middle rounds, and being able to allow them time to develop.  He has grown into the pro game, and is now ready for big time. 

I don't see his contract as anything exorbitant. As was mentioned previously, his salary will barely crack the top 20, and in the back half of his contract he will be on the lower end of starting Safety pay.  With only 4M being guaranteed, the team seems to be covered in the event that he doesn't live up to expectations.

That's for all safeties though, right? I'd understand if you were saying Williams' salary barely cracked the top 20 free safeties, but I guess you guys are including 2 different positions (FS and SS). So "top 20" is actually more like "top 10" for one position group.

(05-18-2016, 09:02 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I mean, it's essentially a 1 year, 4 mil guranteed if he for some reason is doo-doo. 4 mil. Not going to break the bank.

Also this contract doesn't start until 2017 I do believe. So they will know what they have and be able to plan accordingly during the off-season.

And btw, I think Carlos Dunlap had what 2 starts before he got his deal? That turned out ok  :-0

Sure that sounds nice in theory, but how often do the Bengals cut homegrown players they extended, with years left on their deals? Also, using Dunlap as an example is a little deceptive. Dunlap had "2 starts", but he also had 20 sacks in 3 seasons and played significant snaps every year. 

He may not have started, but he was on the field a ton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 11:50 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sure that sounds nice in theory, but how often do the Bengals cut homegrown players they extended, with years left on their deals? Also, using Dunlap as an example is a little deceptive. Dunlap had "2 starts", but he also had 20 sacks in 3 seasons and played significant snaps every year. 

He may not have started, but he was on the field a ton.

Not very often, I would guess because they try and do their due-diligence in evaluating talent before signing them. Not like they didn't know anything about him before signing him. They have several years of practice and a year of decent PT. Believe he played right around 40% of the snaps last year. T

To your point, tho, it does seem like they put the cart  before the horse on some signings.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 11:20 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I cannot imagine that Eifert would consider an extension at this point.  He has first round money, so there is not a "need".  If he can prove to stay healthy for an entire season, his value goes up dramatically.  If he can stay healthy for both 2016 and 2017 (fifth year option), he'll be looking at Gronk money.

Gronk money is team friendly.    

And I forgot about Eifert having the extra year when I mentioned him earlier .  I think Leonard corrected me and I was unable to comment at the time to thank him.  
Reply/Quote
It scares me bc id think Williams would have more confidence in himself having a great season so he could double the value instead of just settling
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Just extend our most unproven.

Christ.
Reply/Quote
Eh. I guess that's a good signing. I guess.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 01:31 AM)Shady Wrote: Call it coach speak, but when you listen to Paulie G reaction to the extension, you get the very clear impression that they have full confidence in Williams to take over for Reggie. Getting his contract done allows him to focus more on football.

I thought it was interesting that the only person he called after the extension was Terrence Neuman. Neuman is a class act, which speaks volumes for Williams that the things we heard Guenther say about his work ethic.

I'll miss Reggie. Would have loved for us to re-sign him, but I was big on us drafting Williams when we did. Liked him far more than Rambo. We should be fine.

I will most certainly call it coach speak. That was the same impression they gave about Hunt having a "monster breakout season"...two years ago, Binns being uncoverable, Tate ready to step into a big WR role, Simpson ready to step up for years, Dennard being the best rookie CB they've ever seen... etc etc etc.

There's wayyy too many examples of Bengals coaching staff just fluffing the hell out of players that were turds, that I will now only believe hype once I see it on the field.

I understand it's just a thing they do, but it just means I won't put any worth into their words. Boy who cried wolf, or in this case, coaches who cried superstar.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:24 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: It scares me bc id think Williams would have more confidence in himself having a great season so he could double the value instead of just settling

Kudos to the coaches and front office, for having the confidence to extend a worthy player.  Team friendly deal, at that.

(05-18-2016, 04:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Just extend our most unproven.

Christ.

Unproven?  Dude stepped right in, and performed like a veteran.

(05-18-2016, 05:02 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Eh. I guess that's a good signing. I guess.

Damn good extension, if you ask me.

(05-18-2016, 05:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I will most certainly call it coach speak. That was the same impression they gave about Hunt having a "monster breakout season"...two years ago, Binns being uncoverable, Tate ready to step into a big WR role, Simpson ready to step up for years, Dennard being the best rookie CB they've ever seen... etc etc etc.

There's wayyy too many examples of Bengals coaching staff just fluffing the hell out of players that were turds, that I will now only believe hype once I see it on the field.

I understand it's just a thing they do, but it just means I won't put any worth into their words. Boy who cried wolf, or in this case, coaches who cried superstar.

I get what you say, about the team/coaches fluffing bad players in the past, but this is not one of those times.  Williams stepped in, performed like a veteran, with virtually no drop in production from the position. 

Williams is not some rookie hoping to make the team.  He is a drafted and developed player, that bided his time while a superstar held the position.  He's now mature, and ready to assume the role.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:24 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: It scares me bc id think Williams would have more confidence in himself having a great season so he could double the value instead of just settling

He didn't really settle for less money, He got paid what good safeties get paid.  

The only thing he settled on was the lower amount of guaranteed money.  So you could look at it like he is betting on himself to play up to the contract of a good safety
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 05:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I will most certainly call it coach speak. That was the same impression they gave about Hunt having a "monster breakout season"...two years ago, Binns being uncoverable, Tate ready to step into a big WR role, Simpson ready to step up for years, Dennard being the best rookie CB they've ever seen... etc etc etc.

There is a HUGE difference between "fluffing" a player and "paying" a player.  For example none of the examples you listed involved giving a guy a big multi year contract.
Reply/Quote

Pretty much zero percent of NFL players in Williams position would pass on an extension offer like this.

Shawn's TOTAL income from his 4 year rookie deal was on;y $2.7 million.  His base salary for 2016 is only $685K.  So if he turns down the extension he is giving up over $4 million in guaranteed income to play for $685K and hope he does not get injured.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 04:25 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Just extend our most unproven.

Christ.

Its a team friendly deal man.. Its not like he's getting a ton of money guaranteed. Calm the hell down.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2016, 02:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Gronk money is team friendly.    

And I forgot about Eifert having the extra year when I mentioned him earlier .  I think Leonard corrected me and I was unable to comment at the time to thank him.  

$54 million over six years, the largest total contract for a tight end, and the fifth highest per year average ($1 million away from number one) is "team friendly"??
Reply/Quote
Of course this was a good move, the coaches believe in him, namely Geunther and this should only help
Shawn's confidence. Going into his last year and he played very good last season in the little time he got
his chances. Always liked Shawn Williams and i am excited to watch him this year.
Reply/Quote