Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals eyeing BYU’s Blake Freeland?
(03-27-2023, 10:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd be really disappointed if the Bengals took him in the 2nd round, as the guy seems like he'll likely be a 2-3 year developmental project.  If they took him in the 4th or 5th round, I could rationalize the selection a little better.

Could be what the Bengals are doing. One team could have a player as a 2b prospect while another team could have him as a 5c. Bengals might have interest as a mid round draft pick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:06 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Could be what the Bengals are doing. One team could have a player as a 2b prospect while another team could have him as a 5c. Bengals might have interest as a mid round draft pick.

He still doesn't fit, we need power scheme OL going off of all the other guys we have on the team pretty much and adding Orlando and Ford.

I wouldn't have any interest in a player that doesn't fit our scheme at all. This is just a headscratcher to me...

We tried the wide zone scheme last year and our guys failed at it. The power gap scheme is when the OL started playing decent.
Reply/Quote
This means nothing but i signed Burrow chase and Tee in my Madden franchise and basically after about 2-3 years i had to sacrifice everyone on defense. I was able to keep a great o line and those 3 then i had to let Trey, DJ, Awuzie, Bates, Bell, Hurst, Mixon, and Akeem Gaither walk. That was with me doing what we did too and getting a pro bowl lineman. Think i got the Saints guard who made like 17 per.

I basically screwed my D to sign the O and i assume the same will happen to us

Someone has gott suffer
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 09:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You are right he had a poor Senior Bowl but he had a great combine. “People” I’d assume you mean me. I think he’s a possibility and still think he’s possible @2.

We aren't going to do a mega reach on a combine warrior that didn't put it out there on tape.  That's the old Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 02:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He still doesn't fit, we need power scheme OL going off of all the other guys we have on the team pretty much and adding Orlando and Ford.

I wouldn't have any interest in a player that doesn't fit our scheme at all. This is just a headscratcher to me...

We tried the wide zone scheme last year and our guys failed at it. The power gap scheme is when the OL started playing decent.

It could be that they just wanted to see if Freeland could have the ability to play in gap scheme, as they probably like his athleticism.
If they don't think he can, perhaps they take him off their options after their visit.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:41 PM)Stewy Wrote: We aren't going to do a mega reach on a combine warrior that didn't put it out there on tape.  That's the old Bengals.

Bengals reached pretty good for Drew Sample, so it's the current regime too.
Sample's pass catching in college left a lot to be desired, but he put up a good Combine and made people think he might be able to do more in the passing game if given the chance - https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=17634

What I remember distinctly about Sample is hearing that some teams (e.g. Packers) were interested in Sample in the 3rd round, so the Bengals felt they needed to take him late 2nd to get him. If that was true, what they should have done is stood strong on their evaluation and let some other team take him if they really had that high of a value on him.
Had Sample been selected on Day 3, people would have been less critical of him, I think.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Housh Wrote: This means nothing but i signed Burrow chase and Tee in my Madden franchise and basically after about 2-3 years i had to sacrifice everyone on defense. I was able to keep a great o line and those 3 then i had to let Trey, DJ, Awuzie, Bates, Bell, Hurst, Mixon, and Akeem Gaither walk. That was with me doing what we did too and getting a pro bowl lineman. Think i got the Saints guard who made like 17 per.

I basically screwed my D to sign the O and i assume the same will happen to us

Someone has gott suffer

Yup. People like to say, "well, the salary cap will keep going up". You know what else goes up while the salary cap is going up? Salaries. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:24 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It could be that they just wanted to see if Freeland could have the ability to play in gap scheme, as they probably like his athleticism.
If they don't think he can, perhaps they take him off their options after their visit.

That is true, dude is huge and athletic as hell. If he can play in the gap scheme I am not against Freelund in the mid rounds.

He for sure is athletic enough to play in a zone when we DO run it. We have to change up the schemes a bit, just would rather 
have guys who fit the scheme we run the most. With all our players that should be a form of the gap scheme.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals reached pretty good for Drew Sample, so it's the current regime too.
Sample's pass catching in college left a lot to be desired, but he put up a good Combine and made people think he might be able to do more in the passing game if given the chance - https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=17634

What I remember distinctly about Sample is hearing that some teams (e.g. Packers) were interested in Sample in the 3rd round, so the Bengals felt they needed to take him late 2nd to get him. If that was true, what they should have done is stood strong on their evaluation and let some other team take him if they really had that high of a value on him.
Had Sample been selected on Day 3, people would have been less critical of him, I think.

4 years ago - living in the past much?

and one example doesnt establish a trend

Really?  Do you have nothing better to do than pick out an anomaly and write 3 paragraphs about it?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals reached pretty good for Drew Sample, so it's the current regime too.

Hopefully Drew was a learning experience for Zac

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:53 AM)Stewy Wrote: 4 years ago - living in the past much?

and one example doesnt establish a trend

Really?  Do you have nothing better to do than pick out an anomaly and write 3 paragraphs about it?

If I'm on a message board, probably not  Smirk

But regardless, it wasn't like it took a lot of thinking on my part to remember how much of a reach Drew Sample was.
And 4 years ago isn't that long ago, but maybe to some it is.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2023, 12:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If the Bengals take a TE @1 and Freeland @2, i'll probably throw up all over myself. 

If they take Freeland @2 then i'd probably throw up on you too. 

but my reasoning is he's a career LT, and i am super tired of trying to convert guys from one side to the other that haven't already shown a knack for it.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:51 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If they take Freeland @2 then i'd probably throw up on you too. 

but my reasoning is he's a career LT, and i am super tired of trying to convert guys from one side to the other that haven't already shown a knack for it.

Same way I feel. Be puke time if we took Freeland that early to only move him to the other side of the Line where he gets beat out by JC. Sick
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way I feel. Be puke time if we took Freeland that early to only move him to the other side of the Line where he gets beat out by JC. Sick

Freeland in the second means we passed on a good TE and RB for a project. I don’t want anymore Taylor Mays Dontay Moch projects.

That’s how you end up one of the worst drafting teams of the 2000s. When you think about it, we are one of the only teams to not draft many superstars in the 2000s. And 75% of the superstars we drafted have been on offense.

We drafted AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Burrow and Chase.

In 22 years of trying to only have 4 guys that i think would unanimously be labeled game changing superstars is bad. In our defense we’ve failed at drafting superstars but we do have a pretty solid record of getting decent players. And even with the 4 guys i named neither were ever the clear cut best player at their position.

Since Iv been alive we’ve never had a Fay Lewis, Aaron Donald, game changer monster fall to us. This probably explains the zero superbowls too. For as long as i can remember the teams that win Superbowls have those players.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 10:28 AM)Housh Wrote: Freeland in the second means we passed on a good TE and RB for a project. I don’t want anymore Taylor Mays Dontay Moch projects.

That’s how you end up one of the worst drafting teams of the 2000s. When you think about it, we are one of the only teams to not draft many superstars in the 2000s. And 75% of the superstars we drafted have been on offense.

We drafted AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Burrow and Chase.

In 22 years of trying to only have 4 guys that i think would unanimously be labeled game changing superstars is bad. In our defense we’ve failed at drafting superstars but we do have a pretty solid record of getting decent players. And even with the 4 guys i named neither were ever the clear cut best player at their position.

Since Iv been alive we’ve never had a Fay Lewis, Aaron Donald, game changer monster fall to us. This probably explains the zero superbowls too. For as long as i can remember the teams that win Superbowls have those players.

All true, been a long run of bad luck, or just not having the eye for certain talent. There have been stars to be had, we just picked 
the other guy lol
Reply/Quote
When I watch college football I notice players I’d like to see play for the Bengals and players I wouldn’t like see play for the Bengals. It’s very, very technical. Freeland is a player I wouldn’t like to see play for the Bengals. I don’t care about his combine numbers as much as I do him blocking people. He’s a better athlete than Olineman, in my opinion.

Maybe in the 7th round to knock Prince off the roster. Maybe. But, Prince is already gone thankfully.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:41 PM)Stewy Wrote: We aren't going to do a mega reach on a combine warrior that didn't put it out there on tape.  That's the old Bengals.

Are you suggesting Freeland doesn't have good tape? In 805 snaps last year dude gave up 0 sacks and only 5 pressures. Matter of fact dude has only given up 2 sacks in 4 years.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 12:22 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you suggesting Freeland doesn't have good tape? In 805 snaps last year dude gave up 0 sacks and only 5 pressures. Matter of fact dude has only given up 2 sacks in 4 years.

He did not look good during Senior Bowl week. Just during the game alone he gave up an 4th down sack to end a drive to an outside speed rush and he was bull rushed backwards into the QB that resulted in a pick 6 like he was on roller skates. Small sample size, but what a sample.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 01:49 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He did not look good during Senior Bowl week. Just during the game alone he gave up an 4th down sack to end a drive to an outside speed rush and he was bull rushed backwards into the QB that resulted in a pick 6 like he was on roller skates. Small sample size, but what a sample.

I get it. But the kid has 4 years of tape at a premiere program. He's a kid with physical traits that are elite. I'd gladly take him at the end of 2 and let him grow behind LC
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 01:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get it. But the kid has 4 years of tape at a premiere program. He's a kid with physical traits that are elite. I'd gladly take him at the end of 2 and let him grow behind LC

I am not certain that I would consider BYU a premiere program.
Reply/Quote