Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals (future) Owners speak
This is win now mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/The-future-is-18/aa73a6a1-c501-4aba-b54c-6844e735102b

Some interesting points..

We spent 10m over "budget" this offseason.

Marvin makes roughly 6 million annually.

The Bengals supplement their own personnel department by paying for reports from the scouting services of Giddings and Pro Football Scouting (I guess that's an upgrade from Kiper). They also grade them on how they did. Met with them this week. Top 3 to 4 in drafts over last decade.

They understand Fans frustration.
“We think this season will be from a fan standpoint a bit of a Missouri approach, a Show me. We understand that,” Troy Blackburn

Confirms Burfict is not on the block.
“Our focus is on having the best 2018 we can,” Troy Blackburn said, “and we feel Vontaze helps us do that.”

Bobby Hart is considered a bigger signing than we hoped.
"...they also signed a pair of former NFL starters looking to revive their careers in Cincinnati when they inked former Tampa Bay defensive tackle Chris Baker[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Giants right tackle Bobby Hart[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. They believe those deals, along with retaining erstwhile Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert, have sent a message to Bengaldom that the future is now"

The stadium situation (the growing costs) is the elephant in the room.
"So it was business as usual. Like the other 31 clubs, the Bengals voted for player safety and the new catch definition. They also winced as the NFL handed out a $250 million loan for the $1.8 billion stadium project in Las Vegas for the Raiders."

"That’s just 18 years after the Bengals began playing in The Paul, which cost about $350 million to build. The new buildings in Vegas and Los Angeles continue to drive the NFL salary cap, always a point of concern for the Bengals"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
There's something about the Hart signing that feels like there was something the public isn't being told . The guy was a 7th round pick and other than the he said / she said stuff coming out of NY something was left out.. I find it tough to swallow that they would plan on using him as a starter with Pollack as the new line coach unless there's just a big chunk of news not being released to the public.. It is very rare to see a 7th round offensive tackle getting even mentioned much less signed as a FA without some very intriguing stuff..

As far as the article mentioned it's certainly a completely different approach than the usual dose of off season nonsense we've been feed over the past several years. Maybe they hired a professional liar firm.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 02:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: There's something about the Hart signing that feels like there was something the public isn't being told . The guy was a 7th round pick and other than the he said / she said stuff coming out of NY something was left out.. I find it tough to swallow that they would plan on using him as a starter with Pollack as the new line coach unless there's just a big chunk of news not being released to the public.. It is very rare to see a 7th round offensive tackle getting even mentioned much less signed as a FA without some very intriguing stuff..

As far as the article mentioned it's certainly a completely different approach than the usual dose of off season nonsense we've been feed over the past several years. Maybe they hired a professional liar firm.. 

I see your point. It is mind-boggling that they'd assign so much significance to the Hart signing. I figured he was just a cheap camp body. Is he their plan at RT? Were he and Glenn the keys to opening up the draft for us? Do they not want to have to take another chance at having to spend too much time developing a draft pick at OT? I don't understand the faith in a 7th round pick.  

You're right, Pollack must know something that we don't.  

Either that or the FO was blowing smoke.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I don’t see how you can put Baker, Hart and Eifert in the same paragraph and say it sends a message to Bengledom that the future is now?

[Image: WZKo.gif]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t see how you can put Baker, Hart and Eifert in the same paragraph and say it sends a message to Bengledom that the future is now?

lol, I give them credit for talking a good game, but where was this spirit last year and the year before. If you really want to convince bengaldom, why not fire Marvin Lewis? he is the common denominator you know. Oh well I went from dead, to maybe, with these offseason moves so we shall see Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:56 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: lol, I give them credit for talking a good game, but where was this spirit last year and the year before. If you really want to convince bengaldom why not fire Marvin Lewis , he is the common denominator you know. Oh well I went from dead to maybe with these offseason moves so we shall see Mellow

I admit my hopes are much higher seeing activity from the Bengals in FA! But yes, Marvin is, and will remain the biggest issue many will fear this season.

Reply/Quote
I really think Baker is going to surprise people, the Heart thing to me is more of a "what if" move in case Fisher goes down again.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:56 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: lol, I give them credit for talking a good game, but where was this spirit last year and the year before. If you really want to convince bengaldom, why not fire Marvin Lewis? he is the common denominator you know. Oh well I went from dead, to maybe, with these offseason moves so we shall see Mellow

I'm thinking maybe the newfound sense of urgency is that when Lewis inked his deal, it was a "let me do things differently, and I'll show you results". If he doesn't get it done, MB goes back to his old ways.....
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t see how you can put Baker, Hart and Eifert in the same paragraph and say it sends a message to Bengledom that the future is now?

Great Scott!!!!!  1.21 Jiggawatts!!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As to the OP, get Son of Paul out of there......I'm digging the shit out of reading Troy Blackburn talking about the offensive line.....and reading both he and Katie talking about the needed change at o line coach.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 09:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: As to the OP, get Son of Paul out of there......I'm digging the shit out of reading Troy Blackburn talking about the offensive line.....and reading both he and Katie talking about the needed change at o line coach.

That is some encouraging stuff, when contemplating the future of team management.  There are plenty around here that are eager to claim "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree", and so forth.  However the truth of the matter is that we just won't really know how the next generation will handle things until they are fully in control.  

I'm sure that what changes have happened, have taken much proving and convincing to Mike, in order for him to allow them to happen.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don’t think they understand a fans frustration. We pay for disappointment; they get paid to disappoint us.

Their statement is like a used car salesman talking you into a lemon, then saying he knows what your going through while he folds your cash into his wallet.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 02:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: There's something about the Hart signing that feels like there was something the public isn't being told . The guy was a 7th round pick and other than the he said / she said stuff coming out of NY something was left out.. I find it tough to swallow that they would plan on using him as a starter with Pollack as the new line coach unless there's just a big chunk of news not being released to the public.. It is very rare to see a 7th round offensive tackle getting even mentioned much less signed as a FA without some very intriguing stuff..

Insurrance...  Fisher is cleared to play.. but we don't know how his health will pan out with his heart...  Which at the very least hast hart as insurance if fisher cant go...

Also he probly pushes eric Winston off the roster as the first off the bench OL guy.
Reply/Quote
Am pleasantly pleased with this offseason so far.

But got to think employing more scouts is much better than paying a service that all teams could purchase their same blueprint of the plan of attack.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Heck they could do better by following OchoCinco's and other posts in the draft forum on here.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 08:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is win now mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/The-future-is-18/aa73a6a1-c501-4aba-b54c-6844e735102b

Some interesting points..

We spent 10m over "budget" this offseason.

Marvin makes roughly 6 million annually.

The Bengals supplement their own personnel department by paying for reports from the scouting services of Giddings and Pro Football Scouting (I guess that's an upgrade from Kiper). They also grade them on how they did. Met with them this week. Top 3 to 4 in drafts over last decade.

They understand Fans frustration.
“We think this season will be from a fan standpoint a bit of a Missouri approach, a Show me. We understand that,” Troy Blackburn

Confirms Burfict is not on the block.
“Our focus is on having the best 2018 we can,” Troy Blackburn said, “and we feel Vontaze helps us do that.”

Bobby Hart is considered a bigger signing than we hoped.
"...they also signed a pair of former NFL starters looking to revive their careers in Cincinnati when they inked former Tampa Bay defensive tackle Chris Baker[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Giants right tackle Bobby Hart[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. They believe those deals, along with retaining erstwhile Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert, have sent a message to Bengaldom that the future is now"

The stadium situation (the growing costs) is the elephant in the room.
"So it was business as usual. Like the other 31 clubs, the Bengals voted for player safety and the new catch definition. They also winced as the NFL handed out a $250 million loan for the $1.8 billion stadium project in Las Vegas for the Raiders."

"That’s just 18 years after the Bengals began playing in The Paul, which cost about $350 million to build. The new buildings in Vegas and Los Angeles continue to drive the NFL salary cap, always a point of concern for the Bengals"

Bobby Hart reminds me so much of Russell Bodine. Just because someone has been a starter doesn't mean they were/are good.
Bobby Hart had a PFF rating last year of 37.7, the 74th ranked OT in the NFL. His 2016 rating was 41.0, which was 67th best OT.
In fact, Hart was actually benched for the Giants' playoff game against the Packers in the 2016 posteason in favor of former Bengal RT Marshall Newhouse.
That's how bad Bobby Hart is.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 09:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is some encouraging stuff, when contemplating the future of team management.  There are plenty around here that are eager to claim "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree", and so forth.  However the truth of the matter is that we just won't really know how the next generation will handle things until they are fully in control.  

I'm sure that what changes have happened, have taken much proving and convincing to Mike, in order for him to allow them to happen.

I see where Katie's 24 yr old daughter got to sit in on some meetings the other day. So they will be keeping it in the family for the next 60 years at least.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:36 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I see where Katie's 24 yr old daughter got to sit in on some meetings the other day. So they will be keeping it in the family for the next 60 years at least.

Does anyone expect anything less?
We would all do the same with their knowledge dictating their roles/involvement.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bobby Hart reminds me so much of Russell Bodine. Just because someone has been a starter doesn't mean they were/are good.
Bobby Hart had a PFF rating last year of 37.7, the 74th ranked OT in the NFL. His 2016 rating was 41.0, which was 67th best OT.
In fact, Hart was actually benched for the Giants' playoff game against the Packers in the 2016 posteason in favor of former Bengal RT Marshall Newhouse.
That's how bad Bobby Hart is.

I wonder if it was a scheme thing. Pollock was in the division with him, so he has to have some belief that inside of his blocking scheme he will work out. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm thinking maybe the newfound sense of urgency is that when Lewis inked his deal, it was a "let me do things differently, and I'll show you results". If he doesn't get it done, MB goes back to his old ways.....

With Marvin still as HC. Sigh.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote