Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals (future) Owners speak
(03-29-2018, 10:48 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Am pleasantly pleased with this offseason so far.

But got to think employing more scouts is much better than paying a service that all teams could purchase their same blueprint of the plan of attack.

I'm not sure that's the case. Having the resource of Professional Scouting businesses seems to reduce the need for a larger scouting department. Sure, all teams can purchase the scouting reports, but all teams can send scouts as well. As long as these reports are legit, and I'm sure they are or the businesses would be out of business in short order, they should be able to tell you anything your own scouts can. Like buying a car.... you might want to go and drive the car you pick out yourself, but there's nothing wrong with using Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. to knock the models off the list that do not fit your need or have poor reviews, therefore the need to drive 50 different models.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 11:36 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I see where Katie's 24 yr old daughter got to sit in on some meetings the other day. So they will be keeping it in the family for the next 60 years at least.

Born on 3rd base and mad they didn't get their money's worth touching first and second.

~The Browns family
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I dunno ...maybe the Hart deal was to say, 'And you think OG and Fisher stank? We'll show you  what it's like to REALLY stink. Now shut up and enjoy our failed experiment! ' 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 08:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is win now mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/The-future-is-18/aa73a6a1-c501-4aba-b54c-6844e735102b

Some interesting points..

We spent 10m over "budget" this offseason.

Marvin makes roughly 6 million annually.

The Bengals supplement their own personnel department by paying for reports from the scouting services of Giddings and Pro Football Scouting (I guess that's an upgrade from Kiper). They also grade them on how they did. Met with them this week. Top 3 to 4 in drafts over last decade.

They understand Fans frustration.
“We think this season will be from a fan standpoint a bit of a Missouri approach, a Show me. We understand that,” Troy Blackburn

Confirms Burfict is not on the block.
“Our focus is on having the best 2018 we can,” Troy Blackburn said, “and we feel Vontaze helps us do that.”

Bobby Hart is considered a bigger signing than we hoped.
"...they also signed a pair of former NFL starters looking to revive their careers in Cincinnati when they inked former Tampa Bay defensive tackle Chris Baker[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Giants right tackle Bobby Hart[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. They believe those deals, along with retaining erstwhile Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert, have sent a message to Bengaldom that the future is now"

The stadium situation (the growing costs) is the elephant in the room.
"So it was business as usual. Like the other 31 clubs, the Bengals voted for player safety and the new catch definition. They also winced as the NFL handed out a $250 million loan for the $1.8 billion stadium project in Las Vegas for the Raiders."

"That’s just 18 years after the Bengals began playing in The Paul, which cost about $350 million to build. The new buildings in Vegas and Los Angeles continue to drive the NFL salary cap, always a point of concern for the Bengals"

They gave that man a raise (and roughly top 10 highest paid coach) after back-to-back losing seasons? You can't make this type of stuff up!  Hilarious
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 12:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not sure that's the case. Having the resource of Professional Scouting businesses seems to reduce the need for a larger scouting department. Sure, all teams can purchase the scouting reports, but all teams can send scouts as well. As long as these reports are legit, and I'm sure they are or the businesses would be out of business in short order, they should be able to tell you anything your own scouts can. Like buying a car.... you might want to go and drive the car you pick out yourself, but there's nothing wrong with using Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc. to knock the models off the list that do not fit your need or have poor reviews, therefore the need to drive 50 different models.

Makes sense but still would like to see a few more scouts

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
In Marv we trust. Because whe have no choice.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2018, 08:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: This is win now mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/The-future-is-18/aa73a6a1-c501-4aba-b54c-6844e735102b

Some interesting points..

We spent 10m over "budget" this offseason.

Marvin makes roughly 6 million annually.

The Bengals supplement their own personnel department by paying for reports from the scouting services of Giddings and Pro Football Scouting (I guess that's an upgrade from Kiper). They also grade them on how they did. Met with them this week. Top 3 to 4 in drafts over last decade.

They understand Fans frustration.
“We think this season will be from a fan standpoint a bit of a Missouri approach, a Show me. We understand that,” Troy Blackburn

Confirms Burfict is not on the block.
“Our focus is on having the best 2018 we can,” Troy Blackburn said, “and we feel Vontaze helps us do that.”

Bobby Hart is considered a bigger signing than we hoped.
"...they also signed a pair of former NFL starters looking to revive their careers in Cincinnati when they inked former Tampa Bay defensive tackle Chris Baker[Image: icon-article-link.gif] and Giants right tackle Bobby Hart[Image: icon-article-link.gif]. They believe those deals, along with retaining erstwhile Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert, have sent a message to Bengaldom that the future is now"

The stadium situation (the growing costs) is the elephant in the room.
"So it was business as usual. Like the other 31 clubs, the Bengals voted for player safety and the new catch definition. They also winced as the NFL handed out a $250 million loan for the $1.8 billion stadium project in Las Vegas for the Raiders."

"That’s just 18 years after the Bengals began playing in The Paul, which cost about $350 million to build. The new buildings in Vegas and Los Angeles continue to drive the NFL salary cap, always a point of concern for the Bengals"

Well, at least he understands the fans are unhappy with the choices the team has made in the recent past.

I don't understand the Hart thing at all though. Hart was a 7th round pick, wasn't successful with the Giants and was rated below Ogbuehi, if there can even be a rating below Ogbuehi's. Andre graded out better than either Hart or Ogbuehi last year.

I viewed the signing as an early dumpster dive by Mikey boy, usually something he reserves for a little later on.

I also don't believe the OL problem are solved.

Our backup Centers couldn't beat out Bodine, so there's no reason to believe either would have a good season at the position.

Glenn, as well as he's played, has missed quite a few games the last couple of years, and as it stands now Ogbuehi would be his backup. Yuk. We are one injury away from having the worst starting LT again, a Center who couldn't beat out Bodine and a worst rated RT (Hart).

That's just not appealing. At all!

The solution lay in the draft, but the team is going to have to spend some picks on the OL and spend them early. NO MORE ONE YEAR WONDERS IN THE FIRST ROUND PLEASE!

Reply/Quote
Draft a center in the first or second round and then I'll be convinced.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2018, 07:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t see how you can put Baker, Hart and Eifert in the same paragraph and say it sends a message to Bengledom that the future is now?

[Image: WZKo.gif]

(03-29-2018, 08:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: Great Scott!!!!!  1.21 Jiggawatts!!!!!

LMAO!!! Hilarious

(03-29-2018, 09:08 AM)Wyche Wrote: As to the OP, get Son of Paul out of there......I'm digging the shit out of reading Troy Blackburn talking about the offensive line.....and reading both he and Katie talking about the needed change at o line coach.

Same here, feels refreshing hearing the owners talking about fixing the problem for once. :andy:

I like what Troy was talkin about. Have to give your main players a chance to succeed and such. It doesn't matter who your
skill players are if the O-line blowz. Draft Price of Ragnow and that will send a message to Bengaldom.
Reply/Quote