Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals go away from the Margus Hunt/tall guy in the 1974 Longest Yard movie Def. End
Samson was his name in the 1974 Longest Yard movie.
He was lifting weights when Burt Reynolds character first sees him.
Very tall and strong with arms that could reach the clouds.
Only problem was that QB Paul Crewe (Burt Reynolds) could simply side step away from Samson as Samson roared towards then passed him in practice.
Samson couldn't Bend.

With the Drafting of 6 foot 4 Jordan Willis and 6 foot 2 Carl Lawson the Bengals have recognized the need for some shorter Benders that can stay low while moving toward the QB.

6 foot 8 Margus Hunt is gone along with his Samson like 1.5 career sacks.

I see this commitment by the Bengals to Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson as a Shift in their D-end philosophy (at least on 3rd down passing situations).

Adding these shorter, more athletic guys to the pass rush should help a lot.
Easy for Big Ben to side step a Margus Hunt.
Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson rotating in Fresh may have just enough Bend and adjust ability to start getting to Ben & other QBs more often. Trading tall and stiff for shorter, quicker guys with more athleticism.

One noticeable Change that may just yield some dividends.
Reply/Quote
Willis measured 6 foot 4, 255 at the combine.

I really like having a speedy DE. Hopefully he can add a little size to his frame...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Willis measured 6 foot 4, 255 at the combine.

I really like having a speedy DE. Hopefully he can add a little size to his frame...

Yep, not much point in hitting the Rapist if you can't bring him down.....
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, not much point in hitting the Rapist if you can't bring him down.....

Also Hard to bring Big Ben down if your tired, so having these young guys to rotate in and out may help to start turning the Tide.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: Also Hard to bring Big Ben down if your tired, so having these young guys to rotate in and out may help to start turning the Tide.

Agreed, and I think this is Michael Johnson's biggest problem.  He's been seeing too many snaps lately....put him in a rotation, and I think his play will improve as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, and I think this is Michael Johnson's biggest problem.  He's been seeing too many snaps lately....put him in a rotation, and I think his play will improve as well.

Right.

He is 30 years old and still has some Veteran savvy to play the run plus more size than Willis and Lawson.

Fresh rotations is hopefully where the Bengals are heading here.
Reply/Quote