Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals going under center
A lot of speculation the Bengals are going to incorporate more under center into their offense.

Why?

The Bengals COMPLETELY went away from it around this time last year. It just wasn't working. The pass and run game were so discombobulated. After they abandoned it is when the offense and Joe took off.

So why are they bringing it back now? It just doesn't make much sense to me...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A lot of speculation the Bengals are going to incorporate more under center into their offense.

Why?

The Bengals COMPLETELY went away from it around this time last year. It just wasn't working. The pass and run game were so discombobulated. After they abandoned it is when the offense and Joe took off.

They were practicing it quite a bit early on in TC and it was something they said they wanted to incorporate more this year but then Burrow got injured. Maybe a bit late for this year but it really is something Burrow needs to learn how to comfortable. It's hard to be successful if you can never run anything from under center. It helps both the run game and passing game, for most teams who are just competent at it. 
Reply/Quote
It's less about it being some major component of the offense and more just using it more. The Bengals still went under center last season, even after week five. It just wasn't often, like 15% of the time. Right now, under center is pretty much nonexistent.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: A lot of speculation the Bengals are going to incorporate more under center into their offense.

Why?

Not sure, but I would assume it's because the running game continues to decline.

2019 - 25th in rush yards, 24th in YPA
2020 - 24th in rush yards, 27th in YPA
2021 - 23rd in rush yards, 26th in YPA
2022 - 29th in rush yards, 29th in YPA
2023 - 31st in rush yards, 27th in YPA

Wasn't running game supposed to be Pollack's thing? Not just like his title (run game coordinator), but his best thing that was going to be improved over Turner?
We need a new strategy for running game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not sure, but I would assume it's because the running game continues to decline.

2019 - 25th in rush yards, 24th in YPA
2020 - 24th in rush yards, 27th in YPA
2021 - 23rd in rush yards, 26th in YPA
2022 - 29th in rush yards, 29th in YPA
2023 - 31st in rush yards, 27th in YPA

Wasn't running game supposed to be Pollack's thing? Not just like his title (run game coordinator), but his best thing that was going to be improved over Turner?
We need a new strategy for running game.

I got roasted by multiple people for suggesting we bring Greg Roman in as our Run Game Coordinator this offseason.

Meanwhile the Ravens went from 5.2 YPC last year to 4.4 YPC this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Why?

Because we cannot get a yard running shotgun in short yardage. 

The Eagles are friggin' automatic. 
Reply/Quote
Opens up the rush offense. They can run mid and outside zone runs from under center they can't do from the shotgun because of the angles.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Practice gadgets were Pollacks only “thing” from what I can gather.

Going under center is one thing. Telegraphing the run is another. They have to start somewhere, but the play action from under center will be beneficial to the overall offense.

I hope this return to under center doesn’t include a return of the wide zone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Why?

We rarely went under center anyway, I could argue not going under center is not working especially in short yardage now..
Reply/Quote

Why?

Because a team needs to show multiple looks, otherwise they are too predictable and easy to defend against.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's less about it being some major component of the offense and more just using it more. The Bengals still went under center last season, even after week five. It just wasn't often, like 15% of the time. Right now, under center is pretty much nonexistent.

Nonexistent because of Joe's injury? That makes more sense then. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 09:12 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because a team needs to show multiple looks, otherwise they are too predictable and easy to defend against.

But this is why they went away from it last year, right? 

When we were under center last year, every team KNEW we were going to run. It was very predictable. We never passed out of it unless it was play action. So in order for the under center stuff to work, Joe is going to have to pass out of it at least a little bit (which he hates). 

IDK - everyone is just getting all jazzed for the under center stuff and I just remember the team taking the complete OPPOSITE approach with it last year and completely ditching it. Seems weird to me... 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 09:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: But this is why they went away from it last year, right? 

When we were under center last year, every team KNEW we were going to run. It was very predictable. We never passed out of it unless it was play action. So in order for the under center stuff to work, Joe is going to have to pass out of it at least a little bit (which he hates). 

IDK - everyone is just getting all jazzed for the under center stuff and I just remember the team taking the complete OPPOSITE approach with it last year and completely ditching it. Seems weird to me... 

Well, it would be foolhardy to only do one particular play or style of play from any given formation.  If they are going to run some under center sets, they need to mix up the runs, PAs, and straight drop backs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Joe is ever going to truly be elite, he needs to show he can be great under center. A truly great offense can run or pass from any formation, and doing so will keep a defense guessing. Joe's injury no doubt put a dent in their plans / offensive installation this year. Now that Joe is supposedly healthy, and they've had a bye to do so, I expect to see some "new" wrinkles to the offense.
Reply/Quote
Opens up play action

I truly think that’s the only reason we will start doing it
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 09:35 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nonexistent because of Joe's injury? That makes more sense then. 

I believe it is because of Joe's injury, yes.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 10:58 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I believe it is because of Joe's injury, yes.

That's what Callahan said. Then they kept him in shotgun to try to protect him.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's what Callahan said. Then they kept him in shotgun to try to protect him.

Last 2 games he has been very healthy and not under center, QBs with bad hands go under center, I don't think Burrow wants to go under and ZT needs to start doing it. Burrow we link is play action even in shot gun.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Last 2 games he has been very healthy and not under center, QBs with bad hands go under center, I don't think Burrow wants to go under and ZT needs to start doing it. Burrow we link is play action even in shot gun.

Yeah, I get that, I think they were being overly cautious. Hard plants from under center dropbacks, quicker path on pass rush, etc. Plus, they hadn't been working on any of the stuff since his initial injury. We'll see what they come up with, but that's what Brian said in his interview that was linked in a thread on here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 05:23 PM)TheFan Wrote: They were practicing it quite a bit early on in TC and it was something they said they wanted to incorporate more this year but then Burrow got injured. Maybe a bit late for this year but it really is something Burrow needs to learn how to comfortable. It's hard to be successful if you can never run anything from under center. It helps both the run game and passing game, for most teams who are just competent at it. 

Also helps play action. But yeah, Burrow needs to get comfortable playing under Center more often.

We will see, I think the Offense will improve regardless (couldn't get much worse) but having this in our bag just makes 
us less predictable which always seems to be our problem on Offense. The RB also gets a chance to get up to speed much 
faster and hit a hole without as much hesitation as running out of the Shotgun.

Edit: And yeah, Burrow's injury is a big reason why we haven't had him under Center near as much so far this season.
Reply/Quote