Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals got a deal on Geno
Aaron Donald signs extension with the Rams for an average of 22.5 million a year. Bengals get Geno for 16.3 million a year. I know Donald is younger than Geno, but at the end of his contract he will be 33. Geno will be 34 at the end of his. I say the Bengals got a deal.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:06 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Aaron Donald signs extension with the Rams for an average of 22.5 million a year. Bengals get Geno for 16.3 million a year. I know Donald is younger than Geno, but at the end of his contract he will be 33. Geno will be 34 at the end of his. I say the Bengals got a deal.

Or the Rams aren't particularly bright.. 22.5 million per is insane, but then I remember when Catfish Hunter was the first athlete to ever be paid a million bucks . Everyone thought that was insane at the time . Seems almost quaint now. It makes me wonder who will be the first athlete to be paid a b-b-b-BILLION ... Professional athletes should be regularly kissing the ass of the statue of Marvin Miller every single day. And yet even though pro sports have all become fabulously weathy as a result of Miller's actions he's not in any HOF. He's the guy who made free agency possible. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree. I mean, it’s obvious that Donald got paid because he’s younger (and better than Geno) but the Bengals got a great deal with Geno. Other than Donald, there isn’t a DT in the league that I’d take over Atkins. To pair that deal up with Dunlaps, it’s even better. Extremely excited to see those two get the deal finished.
Reply/Quote
Rams coach said they could only do the Darnold deal because Goff is on a first contract
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 11:09 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. I mean, it’s obvious that Donald got paid because he’s younger (and better than Geno) but the Bengals got a great deal with Geno. Other than Donald, there isn’t a DT in the league that I’d take over Atkins. To pair that deal up with Dunlaps, it’s even better. Extremely excited to see those two get the deal finished.

That’s debatable.

Reply/Quote
Roughly 1/9th of the salary cap to 1 DT when you have to pay 52+ other guys. Crazy. They didnt have many players to pay in previous years. It might work out for them. Whit will not be there too much longer. Talib probably doesnt have many years left. Suh either. So when the QB is due some big vet contracts will be off the books.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:06 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Aaron Donald signs extension with the Rams for an average of 22.5 million a year. Bengals get Geno for 16.3 million a year. I know Donald is younger than Geno, but at the end of his contract he will be 33. Geno will be 34 at the end of his. I say the Bengals got a deal.

Aaron Donaldis a hell of a player.  I am not going to say Geno is better, but if Donald is better it isn't by much.

If that is the market price for DTs we got a steal with Geno.

If Geno remains healthy he will be one of the greatest Bengals ever.  Hall of Fame material.
Reply/Quote
Donald's contract is crazy. I always come back to Haynesworth. But then again, I thought he was a lazy sack of ass since day one. Good for Donald, and what he said about his parents is what all athletes want (he told them they get to happily live retired now).

It's a decision I wouldn't make, but guaranteed, the Browns or (clearly) the Bears are willing to do something.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s debatable.

Donald is a slightly better (by the numbers) but nowhere near 6 mill per year better. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Donald is a slightly better (by the numbers) but nowhere near 6 mill per year better. 

He’s also a hothead that gets thrown out of games. I’ll take Geno all day.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s also a hothead that gets thrown out of games. I’ll take Geno all day.

Oh, i'll take Geno all day as well. But as far as 1,2...Geno is the latter and i don't lose any sleep over it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s debatable.

It’s not. In their primes, you have an argument but right now, Donald is certainly better. Donald had 20+ more pressures last season and is just as dominant as Geno (if not slightly better) in the run game.

If there are other factors that make you prefer Geno over Donald, then that is fine. However, their play on the field is quantifiable and Donald is simply better.
Reply/Quote
Aaron Donald is undoubtedly better than Geno. That doesn’t mean Geno is bad (he’s a BEAST), but Donald is the best.

Edit: Should also say that I think Geno gave us a nice deal, and I don’t think Donald is THAT much better for the difference in pay. So I’ll take Geno and his contract over Donald and his!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 11:09 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. I mean, it’s obvious that Donald got paid because he’s younger (and better than Geno) but the Bengals got a great deal with Geno. Other than Donald, there isn’t a DT in the league that I’d take over Atkins. To pair that deal up with Dunlaps, it’s even better. Extremely excited to see those two get the deal finished.

Donald and Atkins are comparable in talent and production.  The fact that Donald held out means he puts himself first.  Atkins is a class act.  I would pick Atkins over Donald.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Donald and Atkins are comparable in talent and production.  The fact that Donald held out means he puts himself first.  Atkins is a class act.  I would pick Atkins over Donald.  

I don't have any issue with this take at all. I definitely think Geno legitimately wants to be in Cincinnati whereas Donald wants to be wherever pays him. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:39 PM)thillan Wrote: Aaron Donald is undoubtedly better than Geno. That doesn’t mean Geno is bad (he’s a BEAST), but Donald is the best.

Edit: Should also say that I think Geno gave us a nice deal, and I don’t think Donald is THAT much better for the difference in pay. So I’ll take Geno and his contract over Donald and his!

This is what I disagree with. The “undoubtedly” part. I think it’s closer than that. If you want to say Donald because of age I can buy that.

Reply/Quote
Atkins is the highest paid 30+ year-old non-QB in the league.

I don't know if I would call it a "deal". It's a solid contract, though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 11:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Atkins is the highest paid 30+ year-old non-QB in the league.

I don't know if I would call it a "deal". It's a solid contract, though.

A key word needs to be added to the end of this sentence...  ever.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It’s not. In their primes, you have an argument but right now, Donald is certainly better. Donald had 20+ more pressures last season and is just as dominant as Geno (if not slightly better) in the run game.

If there are other factors that make you prefer Geno over Donald, then that is fine. However, their play on the field is quantifiable and Donald is simply better.

Geno had 46 tackles and 9 sacks last year.

Donald had 41 tackles and 11 sacks.
The last 3 years Donald has 30 sacks and Geno has 29.
And the Bengals re-upped Geno for 6 mil less per year, that's a deal comparatively.  

QB pressures are not a quantifiable stat because there are no results of what that pressure lead to. If you got pressure on the QB but he completed a pass, that particular pressure was meaningless. And there is also no clear cut description of what a pressure is, there is just PFF spitting out the numbers. What constitutes a QB pressure? That's why it's not an official NFL stat because there is too much discretion left to the whoever is tracking it. The CFL did away with it this year as an official stat for that very reason. 

On the other hand, I know what tackles and sacks result in,  the ball carrier on the ground. While i agree that Donald is the slightly better player at this point in their careers, the gap is very minimal. 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 10:31 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Geno had 46 tackles and 9 sacks last year.

Donald had 41 tackles and 11 sacks.
The last 3 years Donald has 30 sacks and Geno has 29.
And the Bengals re-upped Geno for 6 mil less per year, that's a deal comparatively.  

QB pressures are not a quantifiable stat because there are no results of what that pressure lead to. If you got pressure on the QB but he completed a pass, that particular pressure was meaningless. And there is also no clear cut description of what a pressure is, there is just PFF spitting out the numbers. What constitutes a QB pressure? That's why it's not an official NFL stat because there is too much discretion left to the whoever is tracking it. The CFL did away with it this year as an official stat for that very reason. 

On the other hand, I know what tackles and sacks result in,  the ball carrier on the ground. While i agree that Donald is the slightly better player at this point in their careers, the gap is very minimal. 

If you dismiss the stats I am using, then there’s really no argument to be had here. I disagree with you, you disagree with me and we have little grounds to have a discussion on. I think via the eye test, Donald comes away as the superior DT. Maybe it’s confirmation bias, but it would be appear that Donald is the clearly better DT is rather widespread.

In the end, we’re all on the same side here ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote