Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals got a deal on Geno
Quote:Here's some bad news.

PFT is reporting that the Rams offer to Aaron Donald is around $22m per year with $80m in guarantees.

If he signs a deal like that, we might not have Geno for long...

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Preseason-Week-3-Bengals-Bills-GameDay-Thread?pid=581262#pid581262

This was my statement during the Bills game when the news of the offer broke. Something tells me the FO put the negotiations into high gear when that story broke. Glad they did!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 10:31 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Geno had 46 tackles and 9 sacks last year.

Donald had 41 tackles and 11 sacks.
The last 3 years Donald has 30 sacks and Geno has 29.
And the Bengals re-upped Geno for 6 mil less per year, that's a deal comparatively.  

QB pressures are not a quantifiable stat because there are no results of what that pressure lead to. If you got pressure on the QB but he completed a pass, that particular pressure was meaningless. And there is also no clear cut description of what a pressure is, there is just PFF spitting out the numbers. What constitutes a QB pressure? That's why it's not an official NFL stat because there is too much discretion left to the whoever is tracking it. The CFL did away with it this year as an official stat for that very reason. 

On the other hand, I know what tackles and sacks result in,  the ball carrier on the ground. While i agree that Donald is the slightly better player at this point in their careers, the gap is very minimal. 

I love Geno and don't like arguing against him, but facts are facts. Pressure is a quantifiable stat and it is important if it makes the QB release the ball quicker than he wants to. 

Also, Donald has more passes defensed (which isn't really as big a deal as...) and more forced fumbles than Geno.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000784423/article/aaron-donald-leads-top10-interior-pass-rushers
Next gen stats on yards from qb when the ball is released. 7/10s of a yard isn't much but all things combined, on the field of play, Donald is a little better. 

Pretty much every unbiased comparison has Donald #1 and Geno #2.

Geno is, undeniably, a better deal when contract is added in.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2018, 10:06 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Aaron Donald signs extension with the Rams for an average of 22.5 million a year. Bengals get Geno for 16.3 million a year. I know Donald is younger than Geno, but at the end of his contract he will be 33. Geno will be 34 at the end of his. I say the Bengals got a deal.

And Geno is better and Donald's favorite player....

I would say you are correct Fullrock.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2018, 11:13 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Preseason-Week-3-Bengals-Bills-GameDay-Thread?pid=581262#pid581262

This was my statement during the Bills game when the news of the offer broke.  Something tells me the FO put the negotiations into high gear when that story broke.  Glad they did!

I think like many people said, the age factor is a huge difference, especially in the game of Football. I think we got a 'fair' deal with Geno, one I'm happy with. I don't think we got him for a 'steal' and I honestly don't see Donald's contract playing a HUGE focus in that. I believe Donald is better, and younger. Those two make sense in the presence of his contract. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote