• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals had PFF #1 Draft Class of 2020
1. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Cincinnati’s top 2020 Draft picks:

Pick Player Pos. PFF grade Snaps
1 Joe Burrow QB 75.1 710
33 Tee Higgins WR 75.9 806
65 Logan Wilson LB 54.7 343
Cincinnati fielded the second most valuable first-round rookie and the second most valuable second-round rookie. And Joe Burrow, whom they selected first overall, was on pace to be the most valuable rookie in the entire class this year before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 11.

Burrow's rookie campaign was nothing short of incredible, given the situation that he was thrust into. Yes, his deep ball wasn’t a strong suit as it was in his college days, and he also took a few too many sacks — something the Bengals QB admitted himself — but he was exceptional in the stable areas of play.

As expected, the 2020 first overall pick showed off his pinpoint accuracy on non-deep throws, finishing sixth among his peers in passing grade on throws up to 19 yards downfield. Burrow also cracked the top 10 in negatively graded throw rate from a clean pocket, finishing second in that metric to only Russell Wilson’s 2012 debut among all rookie quarterbacks since 2010.

While it would have been hard for Cincy to miss on the No. 1 overall pick this year with Burrow there for the taking, hitting on the 33rd overall pick was a much harder endeavor. But we here at PFF agreed with the Bengals' decision to select Tee Higgins, who was 25th on our big board at the time, and Higgins repaid that decision by racking up 908 receiving yards and six scores on 67 catches, earning a 75.9 PFF grade in the process. Before Burrow’s injury, Higgins had teamed up with his classmate for more combined first downs and touchdowns than any other rookie wide receiver in the NFL, with 32 through Week 10.

The Bengals' first pick of the third round, Logan Wilson of Wyoming, wasn’t as much of an impact player, finding a place as a rotational piece at off-ball linebacker before suffering an injury that ended his season in Week 14. Wilson's run defense was perhaps the biggest weakness, given that he earned a 48.1 grade in that facet, but his blitzing was also largely ineffective. Wilson was sent to rush the passer 47 times yet came away with just three pressures in Year 1.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-draft-classes-2020-nfl-season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I have high hopes for Logan Wilson Wilson and ADG looked to be taking steps as a solid LB duo. I'm wondering how bad the makeshift defensive line hurt the linebackers run defense. Pratt was solid against the run in 2019 but took a huge step back in 2020... All the linebackers had bad run defense scores.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 1. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Cincinnati’s top 2020 Draft picks:

Pick Player Pos. PFF grade Snaps
1 Joe Burrow QB 75.1 710
33 Tee Higgins WR 75.9 806
65 Logan Wilson LB 54.7 343
Cincinnati fielded the second most valuable first-round rookie and the second most valuable second-round rookie. And Joe Burrow, whom they selected first overall, was on pace to be the most valuable rookie in the entire class this year before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Week 11.

Burrow's rookie campaign was nothing short of incredible, given the situation that he was thrust into. Yes, his deep ball wasn’t a strong suit as it was in his college days, and he also took a few too many sacks — something the Bengals QB admitted himself — but he was exceptional in the stable areas of play.

As expected, the 2020 first overall pick showed off his pinpoint accuracy on non-deep throws, finishing sixth among his peers in passing grade on throws up to 19 yards downfield. Burrow also cracked the top 10 in negatively graded throw rate from a clean pocket, finishing second in that metric to only Russell Wilson’s 2012 debut among all rookie quarterbacks since 2010.

While it would have been hard for Cincy to miss on the No. 1 overall pick this year with Burrow there for the taking, hitting on the 33rd overall pick was a much harder endeavor. But we here at PFF agreed with the Bengals' decision to select Tee Higgins, who was 25th on our big board at the time, and Higgins repaid that decision by racking up 908 receiving yards and six scores on 67 catches, earning a 75.9 PFF grade in the process. Before Burrow’s injury, Higgins had teamed up with his classmate for more combined first downs and touchdowns than any other rookie wide receiver in the NFL, with 32 through Week 10.

The Bengals' first pick of the third round, Logan Wilson of Wyoming, wasn’t as much of an impact player, finding a place as a rotational piece at off-ball linebacker before suffering an injury that ended his season in Week 14. Wilson's run defense was perhaps the biggest weakness, given that he earned a 48.1 grade in that facet, but his blitzing was also largely ineffective. Wilson was sent to rush the passer 47 times yet came away with just three pressures in Year 1.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-draft-classes-2020-nfl-season

Thanks for sharing this, Nico.

Although it isn't a very high ranking, ADG finished with a 40.0.  As many of us have discussed, the LBs (unless they are pure edge guys) tend to be rated harshly and there is some question as to knowing their assignments.  Devin Bush had a ranking of 62 his rookie season, and was a first round pick (and a fairly high one).  Isiah Simmons rated a 60.  It should be pointed out that Simmons started the season with a rating below 40 for the first 5 weeks.  Experience is everything at the LB position and Wilson and ADG got some valuable experience heading in to 2021.  Side note:  ADG was rated best coming out of college as a pass rusher.  I was really hoping we would see more of that.  

Khalid Kareem, our 5th round pick, rated a 59.0.  I don't have his breakdown in terms of pressures, but he was a solid LDE in rotation with Dunlap and Lawson.

Hakeem Adeniji started out pretty well, but declined in his last action.  I don't have a full breakdown, but someone found a weakness and exploited it.  Still, a 51.6 rating isn't that bad given his 6th round draft position and a serious lack of talent next to him at LG.  At the very least, a solid backup swing tackle that got some valuable playing experience.

Only Markus Bailey got little to no experience this season, and given his injury history that is acceptable.  He was around the team all year and still has a chance to work his way in to the starting lineup if he shows up next year 100%.  I really liked this kid coming out of Purdue and  with a year of health and conditioning under his belt, the low risk 7th rounder still has some upside.  

Overall, this was an outstanding draft class.  I am very high on Logan Wilson, Khalid Kareem, and Adeniji.  Burrow and Higgins are already excellent starters and got a lot of valuable time together.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 10:04 AM)Synric Wrote: I have high hopes for Logan Wilson Wilson and ADG looked to be taking steps as a solid LB duo. I'm wondering how bad the makeshift defensive line hurt the linebackers run defense. Pratt was solid against the run in 2019 but took a huge step back in 2020... All the linebackers had bad run defense scores.

I think everyone would have a lot higher opinion of our LBs if Reader, Wren, and Tupou were out there.  I am hopeful that a guy like Twyman or Barmore end up in stripes as well.  Pressure is just as important from the inside as it is the edge.   And they would all work together to form a much better unit.  
Reply/Quote
Sweet, was wondering how those 3 rated. All 3 played great for rookies. None of them looked like rookies out there.

I look for improvement next year as well especially from Wilson and with the deep ball of Burrow.

ADG is raw so I kind of figured he would struggle a bit as a rookie. Made some plays though and could be a great LB
in the future. The game just needs to slow down for him and he needs to rely more on his instincts and use his side
line to side line speed. Tons of talent, I also like Bailey for the future.

On Offense we will be good for years to come if we get the O-line shored up for Burrow and the run game. That is if
Taylor doesn't sabotage it with bad play calling.

On Defense we need pass rushers and need to stop the run better up front. If we do this we might get decent again
that is if Lou doesn't sabotage it lol
Reply/Quote
I guess I don't understand?

WFT
Chase Young: 87.2
Antonio Gibson: 80.9
Kamen Curl: 68.0

Vikings
Justin Jefferson: 90.4
Cameron Dantzler: 70.9
Ezra Cleveland: 66.2

That's PFF's grades for them. Is is because the Bengals have a QB in theirs? Every time I think I start understanding PFF's ratings, they throw me a curveball like this. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Our draft was really good.

It helps when you have the first pick in each round.

In hindsight, if I had known ADG would be there in the 4th, I would have preferred Jonah Jackson or Damien Lewis at the top of the 3rd round, but Wilson is obviously a good player who I think will be a valuable member of this defense moving forward.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 07:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I guess I don't understand?

WFT
Chase Young: 87.2
Antonio Gibson: 80.9
Kamen Curl: 68.0

Vikings
Justin Jefferson: 90.4
Cameron Dantzler: 70.9
Ezra Cleveland: 66.2

That's PFF's grades for them. Is is because the Bengals have a QB in theirs? Every time I think I start understanding PFF's ratings, they throw me a curveball like this. Lol

Yeah, I’m guessing positional value factors in. Washington is surprisingly 4th. And Minnesota isn’t even in the top 5. Obviously Young is super valuable as a DE, but I guess our combo of QB/WR puts us over the teams who’s best rookies included RB’s and safeties, etc.

Reply/Quote
I liked the Adeniji pick big time too. Think he could be a good player under Pollack.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I liked the Adeniji pick big time too. Think he could be a good player under Pollack.

Hopefully more of a quality backup role. We need proven players (unless it’s some Sewell caliber) protecting Burrow coming off that injury.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopefully more of a quality backup role. We need proven players (unless it’s some Sewell caliber) protecting Burrow coming off that injury.

At some point a player has to play to be proven. Heck, I hope Blinky turns every one of them into All Pros.....
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: At some point a player has to play to be proven. Heck, I hope Blinky turns every one of them into All Pros.....

Let’s not risk our franchise QB to develop a late round olineman. All I’m sayin. We just saw what happened with Michael Jordan.

Reply/Quote
thats cool still gotta wait till after what 3 years to get a good outlook on the whole draft class.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure we had #1 overall draft due to injury to Burrow and Wilson, but we started our skid years ago with bad drafts (like 2 OL picks one and 2 that did not pan out) so our 2020 draft will hopefully springboard all talent level in the coming years.

Also players need to get better like Boyd and Bates have done. We need J. Williams, Hubbard and Phillips to step it up in 2021. In 2020, we were active in FA, but the guys we signed and paid the most either did not play or played sparingly. Reader got hurt, Waynes did not play a down. I thought Bell and Alexander played better each week.

Our vets and high paid guys killed us:

Green - wasted 18 million
Geno - wasted 14 million
Dunlap
Jackson - he would have been OK if healthy in my opinion, but missed too much time
Add in guys I mentioned Reader and Waynes and lot of money spent with very little return.

I am optimistic for the future, I think if we can have another solid draft and build around Burrow, we can be a good football team. We also need some luck, too many of our studs seem to go to IR each year, but better drafts also will lead in time to a better roster with roster depth.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 08:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure we had #1 overall draft due to injury to Burrow and Wilson, but we started our skid years ago with bad drafts (like 2 OL picks one and 2 that did not pan out) so our 2020 draft will hopefully springboard all talent level in the coming years.

Also players need to get better like Boyd and Bates have done. We need J. Williams, Hubbard and Phillips to step it up in 2021. In 2020, we were active in FA, but the guys we signed and paid the most either did not play or played sparingly. Reader got hurt, Waynes did not play a down. I thought Bell and Alexander played better each week.

Our vets and high paid guys killed us:

Green - wasted 18 million
Geno - wasted 14 million
Dunlap
Jackson - he would have been OK if healthy in my opinion, but missed too much time
Add in guys I mentioned Reader and Waynes and lot of money spent with very little return.

I am optimistic for the future, I think if we can have another solid draft and build around Burrow, we can be a good football team. We also need some luck, too many of our studs seem to go to IR each year, but better drafts also will lead in time to a better roster with roster depth.

LOL...

1 guy has a pre-season shoulder injury that requires surgery and tries to play through it for 8 games.
1 guy missed 2 games and played the 2nd highest % of the defensive snaps in his career this year.

Yet the former is a waste and the latter would have been "okay if healthy".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: LOL...

1 guy has a pre-season shoulder injury that requires surgery and tries to play through it for 8 games.
1 guy missed 2 games and played the 2nd highest % of the defensive snaps in his career this year.

Yet the former is a waste and the latter would have been "okay if healthy".

Jackson contributed, Geno was a waste of space. Geno used to be great, but now he will never be great again so paying  him big bucks is dumb. Let him go.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 12:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jackson contributed, Geno was a waste of space. Geno used to be great, but now he will never be great again so paying  him big bucks is dumb. Let him go.

You don't know that. Geno gets healthy, he is still one of the top DT's in the game. Calling him a waste of space after all he's done is a bit harsh.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 06:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hopefully more of a quality backup role. We need proven players (unless it’s some Sewell caliber) protecting Burrow coming off that injury.

I agree, just saying I like Adeniji's feet and he is talented. You never know, Pollack could coach him into a damn good starter.

Hoping Sewell falls to us and we pick him though no question. Also need to add a couple OL in FA, and proven top caliber.

Spend the money like last year, just mainly in the trenches on both sides.
Reply/Quote
Dont bring your foot fetish to the board.
Reply/Quote
Pff also rates mayfield as a better qb than mahomes the 2nd half of the season. I actually agree we ended up with a good draft class but pff is worthless.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1348982068034854912?s=20
Reply/Quote