Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals had another good year as far as total penalties.
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

76 total penalties for second least in the NFL and just 1 more than the Raiders who had the least.  That's an improvement over 2022 when they had the 4th least penalties (81).  They also were second in 2021 (72), 9th in 2020 (83) and 5th in 2019 (93).   The link above has all years going back to 2006 for those interested in more data.

Seems one issue for the 2023 season was delay of game at 10 penalties putting them at a tie with Green Bay for second most.  

Anyway, I thought people might be interested in seeing the team had another good year as far as total penalties.  While that seems to represent a more disciplined team I do wonder if that also means they playing less aggressive at times.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't know it from the gameday threads with how many games the refs rigged against us. Ninja

- - - - - - -

Jokes aside I think you might be onto something with the less aggressive bit, or at least it can't be incredibly determinative on success....
-The top-10 in most penalties has the Cowboys, Browns, Texans, Bills, Packers, and Ravens all in the playoffs.
-The top-10 in least penalties had the Steelers in the playoffs.

Wonder if it's about straddling the line between not being afraid to be aggressive to try to make a play and getting a penalty versus not losing your composure and having dumb penalties. Always appreciated a good CB outright tackle of a WR when he know he's about to get burnt for a TD. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
....the Raiders?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 04:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wouldn't know it from the gameday threads with how many games the refs rigged against us.   Ninja

- - - - - - -

Jokes aside I think you might be onto something with the less aggressive bit, or at least it can't be incredibly determinative on success....
-The top-10 in most penalties has the Cowboys, Browns, Texans, Bills, Packers, and Ravens all in the playoffs.

Wonder if it's about straddling the line between not being afraid to be aggressive to try to make a play and getting a penalty versus not losing your composure and having dumb penalties. Always appreciated a good CB outright tackle of a WR when he know he's about to get burnt for a TD. Lol

The legion of boom used to hold every play and basically dare they refs to call it....which they wouldn't. I think offensively a lot of teams do that holding wise as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 04:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wouldn't know it from the gameday threads with how many games the refs rigged against us.   Ninja

- - - - - - -

Yeah I think there is defiantly a very fine line when it comes to playing aggressive due to the high speed of the game.  I feel this is especially true for defensive players who are very often a fraction of a second away from either making a great play or committing a penalty.   Of course a player doesn't want to be known as being overly aggressive or the refs will have them under a microscope every game.

But yeah there is playing hard and getting penalties and then there of course are knuckle heads making dumb penalties, shoving another player after a play out of frustration, getting in fights and stuff like that.  I'd have to look at the situations for many of the penalties and timing but outside of delay of game penalties, which I think should be avoided, I don't recall a lot of dumb penalties from the Bengals this year.  So again I still feel like that speaks highly of the coaching and the discipline of the players.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I miss Vontaze
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 03:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

76 total penalties for second least in the NFL and just 1 more than the Raiders who had the least.  That's an improvement over 2022 when they had the 4th least penalties (81).  They also were second in 2021 (72), 9th in 2020 (83) and 5th in 2019 (93).   The link above has all years going back to 2006 for those interested in more data.

Seems one issue for the 2023 season was delay of game at 10 penalties putting them at a tie with Green Bay for second most.  

Anyway, I thought people might be interested in seeing the team had another good year as far as total penalties.  While that seems to represent a more disciplined team I do wonder if that also means they playing less aggressive at times.  
Not getting the play in quickly is a Bengals tradition.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 04:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: The legion of boom used to hold every play and basically dare they refs to call it....which they wouldn't. I think offensively a lot of teams do that holding wise as well.

The Chiefs & Ravens for sure. Literally every time MaCrybaby & Lababy get outside the pocket there's a hold that's rarely called.
Reply/Quote
But, but, but the refs hate the Bengals and always rig games for them to lose!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 06:34 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Not getting the play in quickly is a Bengals tradition.

It really has not been that bad overall.  The stats from my post above go back to 2006.  Since then the 2023 season was their second highest number of delay of games. They lead the league in 2009 with 13.    But over those years (2006-2023) their average is 4.8 per season.  Of course I think several years some were spared from delay of game penalty by burning two timeouts in the first half of the first quarter.   Ninja

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Don't forget a couple of those calls were BS calls on Reader for roughing the passer.
Reply/Quote
Can't get called for holding if you just let the defender run past you.

Kidding, those of sensitive feelings.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I miss Vontaze

I miss Reggie Nelson.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This is one of the most under rated attributes of ZTs teams. They just don't commit a ton of penalties. It doesnt get talked about enough.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 04:21 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ....the Raiders?

That caught my eye too. Historically one of the most penalized teams.

As for Cincinnati, I think it points to the type of players they now target. Team captains, smart, etc. I don't think you can overlook that regarding this stat.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2024, 03:43 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html

Surprises me that the Raiders had the least penalties, it seems like for years they were the most penalized team for like ever. Pierce must be a 
damn good Coach. Doesn't surprise me we were 2nd least though and yes, we have been very good in this aspect for years which shows good
discipline from our players which shows good coaching.

Need to cut down on the delay of game penalties though. I assume these don't count in Punting situations where it is intentional?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to cut down on the delay of game penalties though. I assume these don't count in Punting situations where it is intentional?

Good question.  I'm guessing they are included in the stats i linked but it is hard to tell how many times the Bengals did that when punting.  I think delay of game is usually just charged to the team instead of an individual player so looking at the player stats I can't see any penalties charged to Robbins.

For example this site has the 10 delay of games credited to "unnamed":

https://www.nflpenalties.com/team/cincinnati-bengals?year=2023&view=players

And football database doesn't show delay of game as an individual stat:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?tm=7&yr=2023

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2024, 03:47 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Good question.  I'm guessing they are included in the stats i linked but it is hard to tell how many times the Bengals did that when punting.  I think delay of game is usually just charged to the team instead of an individual player so looking at the player stats I can't see any penalties charged to Robbins.

For example this site has the 10 delay of games credited to "unnamed":

https://www.nflpenalties.com/team/cincinnati-bengals?year=2023&view=players

And football database doesn't show delay of game as an individual stat:

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?tm=7&yr=2023

Thanks George. I think that would be a little unfair to penalize the player when they are intentionally wanting to get more room for the Punter.

This is like a nothing burger penalty in these situations IMO.
Reply/Quote