Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have #2 defense in NFL.
After 5 weeks we are the number 2 defense in the NFL, 2 yards/game from first. I know there is still a game to be played tonight but almost impossible for either of the 2 teams to catch us after just 1 game. Our defense is also giving up the second fewest ppg. If our offense can continue to trend in the right direction, I believe we can still make a run at this thing as I think our defense will become elite with the more experience our young guys who are playing major minutes get the rest of the way. What say you?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 08:30 AM)whodey4life84 Wrote: After 5 weeks we are the number 2 defense in the NFL, 2 yards/game from first. I know there is still a game to be played tonight but almost impossible for either of the 2 teams to catch us after just 1 game. Our defense is also giving up the second fewest ppg. If our offense can continue to trend in the right direction, I believe we can still make a run at this thing as I think our defense will become elite with the more experience our young guys who are playing major minutes get the rest of the way. What say you?

Points per game is the only defensive statistic I care about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Perhaps more impressively about the entire team is that Buffalo's was/is #1....correct?
Reply/Quote
Roger can't have that especially with Jen crying again. Time for another Burfict suspension. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 08:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Perhaps more impressively about the entire team is that Buffalo's was/is #1....correct?

Yes Buffalo is still #1 in opponent ppg. We are #2. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 08:47 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Roger can't have that especially with Jen crying again. Time for another Burfict suspension. Ninja

Nah time for Burfict to blow the 3 B's up again. Lol One man wrecking crew.
Reply/Quote
The D is NASTY. Need to clean up the run defense and force a few more turnovers, but they have promise to be a dominant D.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 08:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Points per game is the only defensive statistic I care about.

PPG is important, but there needs to be an adjustment for any points directly caused by the offense. I know yesterday we had 3 points due the turnover at the 12 yard line. Defense did a great job limiting then to 3 points.

There are other important stats like Total yards, but I would argue Yards per play is very important as it represents an apple to apples comparison as sometimes huge disparity between number of snaps taken. Guess who is number 1 in YPP, as of now the Bengals in 2017.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 08:54 AM)whodey4life84 Wrote: Yes Buffalo is still #1 in opponent ppg. We are #2. 

Our offense gets no credit for playing some very good defenses thus far, but Dalton and the offense had almost 400 yards. Remove the 3 AJ Green caused turnovers and likely win by 10 to 14 points easily.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
#2 in the league, #1 in our hearts
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Our updated rankings are as follows:

2nd in scoring defense, 16.6 pts/g

2nd in total defense, 262.8 yards/g

1st in yards per play allowed, 4.2

3rd in first downs allowed per game, 17.2

6th in 3rd down efficiency, 36%

2nd in Sacks, 18

All while only having 4 turnovers forced by our defense.

So, while they aren't great at generating turnovers, they are great at creating pressure and denying yards. If they can get a few more interceptions or fumbles over time, they could end up being the best defense in the entire NFL.

I'm very happy with these numbers. Hopefully, they hold up against Pittsburgh in 2 weeks.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2017, 10:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Our updated rankings are as follows:

2nd in Sacks, 18

So, while they aren't great at generating turnovers, they are great at creating pressure and denying yards. If they can get a few more interceptions or fumbles over time, they could end up being the best defense in the entire NFL.

I'm very happy with these numbers. Hopefully, they hold up against Pittsburgh in 2 weeks.

The Burfict numbers (last 2 games) also show improvement each week. The interesting part is I don't think they have reached their full potential yet. I see Dunlap getting better, I see more strip sacks coming. I see Willis and Lawson getting better. I see Jackson getting better (due is a ball hawk).

To those who say we have played a weak schedule (offenses), I say you can only play the team in front of you. No one gives a pass to our our offense for playing against a healthy Texans defense, Bills, Ravens and yes Browns who are ranked around 6 in yards allowed per game. Our offense has played against some very good defenses early on. Next up the Steelers who are also a top 5 defense.

Reply/Quote
You take away our game with Watson over last 3 games Texans have number 1 offense in entire NFL. Packers looked worse against us than anybody else.
Reply/Quote

2nd in Sacks, 18

well gotta hope out defense is on par with the jags

if so we should be good to go lol
Reply/Quote

2nd in Sacks, 18

3rd down efficiency is what catches my eye. You have got to get them off the field. This has killed us in the past. 3rd and long and we gave up the neccessary yardage.
Also I'd like to see more turnovers. 
Reply/Quote
This is a championship caliber defense. If the offense, most notably the offensive line, continues to improve, the Cincinnati Bengals will be a tough out, from here on out.

Reply/Quote