Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have contacted Dede Westbrook
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-one-of-multiple-teams-interested-in-former-jaguars-receiver-dede-westbrook

For those who have visited the Free Agents section know I had mentioned Westbrook as a possible guy to go get, so I'm excited if this happens.
I think Westbrook can be a good WR3/4. He put up 717 yards and 5 TDs on 66 receptions on 101 targets in 2018, and then 660 yards and 3 TDs on the same number of receptions and targets in 2019.
Westbrook was a former Biletnikoff winner at Oklahoma.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Totally agree. He would be an excellent signing. Can fit in a rotation, 4 and 5 sets, and fill in for injuries.
Reply/Quote
I mentioned in the FA thread, his ability to return punts is what makes him make a lot of sense at this point along with his ability to eat up WR4 target share if needed. He also gives us more of a slot backup to Boyd, whereas Tate would be more of an outside replacement.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-one-of-multiple-teams-interested-in-former-jaguars-receiver-dede-westbrook

For those who have visited the Free Agents section know I had mentioned Westbrook as a possible guy to go get, so I'm excited if this happens.
I think Westbrook can be a good WR3/4. He put up 717 yards and 5 TDs on 66 receptions on 101 targets in 2018, and then 660 yards and 3 TDs on the same number of receptions and targets in 2019.
Westbrook was a former Biletnikoff winner at Oklahoma.

He would be a good pickup provided that he's healed up.  Our WR depth is terrible and I would feel a lot better with Westbrook as a fallback if one of the top 3 get injured.
Reply/Quote
Bengals have not been lucky bidding against the Chiefs this off-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mentioned in the FA thread, his ability to return punts is what makes him make a lot of sense at this point along with his ability to eat up WR4 target share if needed. He also gives us more of a slot backup to Boyd, whereas Tate would be more of an outside replacement.

I completely forgot he could do PR.
More added value.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We should've been looking at Eric Fisher, another lineman or a vet LB...but hey, WR4 is clearly the biggest need we have.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought for sure we would sign at least one "mid tier" WR in free agency. Not a big money guy, but not a scrub either. You can always find a proven veteran WR for a reasonable price.

Then when we didn't I predicted that we would take at least 2 WRs in the draft. Again I was wrong.

I am not going to start trashing Auden Tate, but I still wish we would upgrade that #4 WR position. I feel that with the type of offense we run our #4 WR will see regular snaps every game.

Westbrook suffered a horrible injury last year but he will still just be 28. If he is healthy I would be thrilled to sign him.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 01:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals have not been lucky bidding against the Chiefs this off-season.

True, but I would assume Westbrook would get more playing time with CIN compared to KC.
In KC, Westbrook would likely play behind Hill, Hardman, and Demarcus Robinson.
Also, KC has their KR and PR in place with Hardman.

He still might want to chase a ring though, but he's only 27, so he might think he could get there with the Bengals if they are willing to keep him around for 2-3 years.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: True, but I would assume Westbrook would get more playing time with CIN compared to KC.
In KC, Westbrook would likely play behind Hill, Hardman, and Demarcus Robinson.
Also, KC has their KR and PR in place with Hardman.

He still might want to chase a ring though, but he's only 27, so he might think he could get there with the Bengals if they are willing to keep him around for 2-3 years.

LOVE IT.  

You also have to think that Westbrook would love to play with a quarterback like Burrow.  Westbrook can make plays all over the field and catch the ball anywhere, so you also have to think that Burrow would be excited to have him on the team.

I doubt he's wanting to chase a ring while he's this young (any more than a normal player wants to), and he has to think that signing a short contract here (2-3 years) and catching balls from Burrow would create an impressive resumé for future contracts.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 01:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We should've been looking at Eric Fisher, another lineman or a vet LB...but hey, WR4 is clearly the biggest need we have.

I continue to be shocked at how little this organization values the LB position.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: LOVE IT.  

You also have to think that Westbrook would love to play with a quarterback like Burrow.  Westbrook can make plays all over the field and catch the ball anywhere, so you also have to think that Burrow would be excited to have him on the team.

I doubt he's wanting to chase a ring while he's this young (any more than a normal player wants to), and he has to think that signing a short contract here (2-3 years) and catching balls from Burrow would create an impressive resumé for future contracts.

Westbrook isn't THAT young.
He'll be 28 in November.
So he may only have 2-3 good years left before he declines.
Many WRs don't stay as effective once they hit 30.
I would hope that the Bengals can actually realistically go deep in the playoffs by 2023, which would be Burrow's 4th year, and thus might entice Westbrook to sign here, but if he wants to play for a contender this year, the Chiefs are a better option.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I continue to be shocked at how little this organization values the LB position.

Agreed, as per my KJ Wright post. Need a solid vet presence in LB room.  
Reply/Quote
He would be a great addition.

I still hope we sign another quality o linemen and maybe even a linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I continue to be shocked at how little this organization values the LB position.

I mean, I wouldn't hate signing Westbrook, but I can't look at rumors of this team looking at more WRs and not think "what the heck is going on"? We desperately need some veteran leadership with our LBs, and another lineman. Heck, a better TE is needed before WR4. Maybe another edge rusher.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I continue to be shocked at how little this organization values the LB position.

Ive been preaching that also last few years and it sure has shown on defense
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would hope that the Bengals can actually realistically go deep in the playoffs by 2023, which would be Burrow's 54th year.

I sure hope we get there before Burrows is well into his 70’s.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 02:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: LOVE IT.  

I think the only other contract for Dede will be the next one he signs after a one year contract for 2021.

I would love to see him as our number 4 but I would rather sign a quality linebacker and a quality o lineman who gets cut for salary cap reasons.
I wish we had signed the Green Bay center who went to San Diego - as an example.
Reply/Quote

I know right, we only drafted (checks notes)  THREE last year! 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 03:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I mean, I wouldn't hate signing Westbrook, but I can't look at rumors of this team looking at more WRs and not think "what the heck is going on"? We desperately need some veteran leadership with our LBs, and another lineman. Heck, a better TE is needed before WR4. Maybe another edge rusher.

It's reported that Trai Turner wants $2-3 mill to sign with a team.
I think the Bengals can, and should, bring him in for that.
Let him compete with XSF, Spain, and Carman for starting OG spots.

As for LB, I'm not sure how much another stopgap LB is going to help.
They've done stopgap LBs for the past few years now.
At some point, these young guys need to step up.

Given the TEs available in FA at this point, none are really better than what the Bengals have.
I'm fine rolling with Uzomah, Sample, and Moss with Pro Wells competing for a spot.
It will be a known weakness and something to hopefully address next offseason.

I really don't see room for another edge rusher at this point.
Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, and Sample are all but guaranteed to make the roster.
Hubert will battle it out with Kareem for the last spot (assuming they even keep 5).
Yes, you could argue just replacing the 5th DE spot, but whoever you replace with will likely just be a 1-year stopgap. Is it worth doing that in favor of a young guy on a multi-year contract?
As for IDL, I doubt they add another person there either, as they have Ogunjobi, Reader, Shelvin, Daniels, Wren, and Tupou all competing for likely 4-5 spots.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote