Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have had 3 #1 overall picks since inception
Even if Borrow is a franchise QB the Bengals could mess it up by not being aggressive and overhauling this awful roster. Palmer had a nice setup when he took over in 2004. He had great weapons and a good O-line, however they let the team fall apart around him.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't convince me that Burrows skill level just suddenly went from "good" to "greatest" at age 24 in his SIXTH college season.

He is a good QB, but his greatness is a product of the coaching and talent around him.

I think he is way overrated.  If his greatness was a product of his skills we would have seen it before this year.

Fred, look at Tom Brady's college career and get back to us. There was a reason he was a 6th round pick, he was a mediocre college QB.

Point is he showed one great year, maybe the greatest of all time showed no great years in college.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He has a weak arm. Period!! Keep drinking that cool aid.

How does his arm strength compare to Peyton Manning?

My guess is very similar.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see a lot of Bengals fans crying about the FO bungling drafts. Some is fair and some over the top. The Bengals have only had 3 #1 overall picks in their history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_first-round_draft_picks

Dan Wilkinson - Did well
Kijana Carter - Major knee injury?
Carson Palmer - Did well until major knee injury

So, now we are number 4 in 2020.

I think when all is said and done, Joe Burrow will be the overwhelming draft expert pick for 2020. So, if we draft him, why would our fans not trust the pick? The team has no history in my opinion of botching a #1 overall draft pick in their history.

BTW...only 1 #2 overall and that was our first draft where PB drafted Bob Johnson, great center.

Thoughts??

Listen up,having the number one draft pick in upcoming draft is NOT going to fix this team and I hope they do not draft the Joe B. guy and here is why,Number one,he does not want to come here,and I like the guy,but do all of you think this guy is going to come here and make us a winner? We need to address both lines FIRST,AND we already have a qb that just need a full training camp with Dalton working with him as no matter what all of you think,Andy Dalton is super smart and with a top O-line he can win games.Our lousy defensive secondary cost us that Miami game as they are just horrible and could not stop anyone,they allowed fitz to put up 35 on us and how is our Offense suppose to come back from that ??I seriously believe Ryan Finley is going to be a very good QB.and 6ft 7in Jake is going to be a super backup.Allow Dalton to work with Ryan all next TC and lets go.We need top O-linemen and top D-linemen before we win ANYTHING.Two linebacker,Two Safeties,a top edge rusher and some studs on the O-line,Do not draft a qb and I believe there is a better stud Quarter Back that no one is talking about and I will bring him up later as we get close to the draft.I do not want Joe B as our first pick,That will set us back another 3-4 years.And he may not be a good qb in the NFL>you never know,but I do know we need to build our lines FIRST. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp :andy: :andy: :andy: :andy: Merry Christmas to all of my Bengal fans and to all of you on here that cares about our TEAM.
Reply/Quote
Nothing is guaranteed. You take him at #1 and you're hoping he'll at least play as well as some other successful first round QBs. One imagines he'll be better than Dalton at least in the sense that he could compete in the big games (primetime, playoffs).

That said, yes we do have to build a team around him. It seems like maybe we're making progress on the offensive line and this year we'll get 2-3 more guys to add to that project. We're solid at RB. We have some talent at WR and TE even if we move on from Green and Eifert (I like Eifert and maybe you keep him on the cheap 1 year/$4 million deals we've been paying him but...there are probably better players out there). There are coaching issues and I do hope we make some changes this offseason (no that won't be HC but they could certainly take a look at hiring an OC). Maybe you draft a mid to late rounder to add to one of those groups and make a free agency signing if both of Eifert and Green leave. Then you have the defense which is sort of a mess but does have little bits of talent here and there. This is probably not the year we fix the defense though hopefully we at least pick up 1-2 mid round picks to to make improvements.

Anyways, in a few years Joe could be in a much better situation, depending on how we draft.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 08:05 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Nothing is guaranteed. You take him at #1 and you're hoping he'll at least play as well as some other successful first round QBs. One imagines he'll be better than Dalton at least in the sense that he could compete in the big games (primetime, playoffs).

That said, yes we do have to build a team around him. It seems like maybe we're making progress on the offensive line and this year we'll get 2-3 more guys to add to that project. We're solid at RB. We have some talent at WR and TE even if we move on from Green and Eifert (I like Eifert and maybe you keep him on the cheap 1 year/$4 million deals we've been paying him but...there are probably better players out there). There are coaching issues and I do hope we make some changes this offseason (no that won't be HC but they could certainly take a look at hiring an OC). Maybe you draft a mid to late rounder to add to one of those groups and make a free agency signing if both of Eifert and Green leave. Then you have the defense which is sort of a mess but does have little bits of talent here and there. This is probably not the year we fix the defense though hopefully we at least pick up 1-2 mid round picks to to make improvements.

Anyways, in a few years Joe could be in a much better situation, depending on how we draft.

Most #1 overall QB picks like the Manning brothers did not walk into great teams. They were the foundation, hopefully Joe Burrow can be our foundation as we build around him next few years.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 09:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Most #1 overall QB picks like the Manning brothers did not walk into great teams. They were the foundation, hopefully Joe Burrow can be our foundation as we build around him next few years.

Well, Eli refused to walk onto a loser franchise so maybe we shouldn't mention him in this case.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:02 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: He has a weak arm. Period!! Keep drinking that cool aid.

He does not have an elite arm, but it is above average.

He's athletic, throws well on the run, and has the intangibles.  I follow OSU very closely, and follow recruiting more than the average fan.  Early on in Burow's career, those around him thought he had the "it factor".  Honestly if Day had been the head coach 3 years ago Burrow may well have started over JT.  But Meyer loved JT and was a little too loyal to him.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll be happy with the Burrow pick, but the fact that MB is making his 4th pick from the top of the draft is what bums me out and makes the Bengals again look like a franchise that operates by its own stupid rules.

I guess it might not matter since a real GM would take Palmer and Burrow anyways.

Well he did trade up for the KiJana pick although I don’t think it was from very far away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 10:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well he did trade up for the KiJana pick although I don’t think it was from very far away.

5 to 1 and we gave up our 2nd round pick to get it...not too bad, I guess.  At any rate, I think it's a no-brainer that we go with Burrow and as far as taking him and Palmer at 1 overall both are picks that we don't even need a GM to make. As for the rest of the off-season...well....

No. 1: Carolina → Cincinnati (D). Carolina traded its first-round selection (5th) to Cincinnati in exchange for Cincinnati's first- and second-round selections (5th and 36th)
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't convince me that Burrows skill level just suddenly went from "good" to "greatest" at age 24 in his SIXTH college season.

He is a good QB, but his greatness is a product of the coaching and talent around him.

I think he is way overrated.  If his greatness was a product of his skills we would have seen it before this year.

It's his 5th college season.  

Joe Goodberry has an excellent article today in The Athletic looking back to when the Bengals took Palmer 1.1.  Carson went from mediocre (39:39 TD:INT his first four years, including just 13:12 his 4th year) to great in his 5th year.  More specifically, Carson wasn't great at all except his last 7 games at USC.  Granted, Burrow doesn't have Palmer's arm strength, but by all accounts his football IQ is leap years ahead of Palmer (the real reason the Bengals decided to sit him his first year) and his accuracy is off the charts by any standard.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 03:24 PM)higgy100 Wrote: If Burrow is a product of the system then every QB is a product of their system? Surround that QB with good to great players? Wow what a novel idea.
Go get a great-scheming OC or QB coach to work with "said" QB? Wow , another great novel idea. Use the strengths of that QB? Wow, we're really onto something.

Fact is that Burrow is one hell of a QB who has the ability to hit windows, great touch passes, can roll either way and square up enough (go watch the 3rd quarter pass earlier in the year against TX) to get zip on the ball, has a real nice ability to manage the pocket (only took AD 5 years to learn some of that)..Now add in the great size and strength,the leadership that kid had had his entire life, the calm demeanor, and the toughness and it's really an easy decision...

What Higgy said, good luck finding another QB like this again...
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see a lot of Bengals fans crying about the FO bungling drafts. Some is fair and some over the top. The Bengals have only had 3 #1 overall picks in their history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_Bengals_first-round_draft_picks

Dan Wilkinson - Did well

I think when all is said and done, Joe Burrow will be the overwhelming draft expert pick for 2020. So, if we draft him, why would our fans not trust the pick? The team has no history in my opinion of botching a #1 overall draft pick in their history.

BTW...only 1 #2 overall and that was our first draft where PB drafted Bob Johnson, great center.

Thoughts??

Wilkinson, Carter, and Palmers Bengals careers all ended badly.

Wilkinson and Carter are widely considered busts.

Palmer basically said that the current management who still runs the team is inept and forced his way out.

We have to take Burrow...but there's some risk in it. But, it's the right pick. But, our offensive system is bad. We had more talent this year than our production.
Reply/Quote
I wanted Young but now I am ok with Burrow. They need a change and I like the fact that he will bring some fire/personality to the position. Doesn’t mean he’ll be great but at least a change from the more stoic personalities of Palmer and Dalton.

I am more interested in who they take at pick 33. They should have their pick of some very good players with first round grades. A OL or LB that slid out of the first round would be great.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 10:34 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: It's his 5th college season.  

Joe Goodberry has an excellent article today in The Athletic looking back to when the Bengals took Palmer 1.1.  Carson went from mediocre (39:39 TD:INT his first four years, including just 13:12 his 4th year) to great in his 5th year.  More specifically, Carson wasn't great at all except his last 7 games at USC.  Gran
(10-07-2019, 09:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The team basically had zero playoff hopes after only playing a quarter of a season. How F’n pathetic and embarrassing!

ted, Burrow doesn't have Palmer's arm strength, but by all accounts his football IQ is leap years ahead of Palmer (the real reason the Bengals decided to sit him his first year) and his accuracy is off the charts by any standard.

It's impossible to compare circumstances around QBs to the current batch.

Burrow has great accuracy, pocket presence, and he knows where to throw the ball. Those are good traits.

His arm strength seems adequate.

Gotta go with him and try to develop him.
Reply/Quote
I hope the people in this thread saying he’s overrated and a “system QB” have actually watched him and not just making generic comments. If you have watched him, I doubt you’d be saying that. His accuracy is unlike any other college QB ever. How is that a “system QB?” His ability to scramble when the pocket breaks down and he runs for 15 yards has nothing to do with the offensive scheme. It’s 100% JB improvising and making something happen.

I’m not saying he will be a HOFer before he even enters the NFL. But there really isn’t anything else you could expect in a QB prospect. These people saying he has a weak arm are just reciting what they have heard pundits say on TV.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 04:03 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: You're high. I've watched every game this year. 

And it's "kool aid" I'm drinking, you charlatan. 

Sick Hilarious  Merry Christmas Sugar! Big kisses and candy mfn sunshine! I've been known to be a Charlotte-in, fact I have fond memories of two different Charlotte's, but it's a first for me with your spelling. Wink

I may or may not be high now , and two oil cans deep, but that's irrelevant to my earlier posts.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2019, 10:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 5 to 1 and we gave up our 2nd round pick to get it...not too bad, I guess.  At any rate, I think it's a no-brainer that we go with Burrow and as far as taking him and Palmer at 1 overall both are picks that we don't even need a GM to make.  As for the rest of the off-season...well....

No. 1: Carolina → Cincinnati (D). Carolina traded its first-round selection (5th) to Cincinnati in exchange for Cincinnati's first- and second-round selections (5th and 36th)

That's all we have up? Damn with the way the Hobson talks about he acts like we gave up every pick in the draft to get Carter.
 Also the guy that was drafted in that slot was a bad player who was remembered more for drug use than his NFL career.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2019, 01:11 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: I hope the people in this thread saying he’s overrated and a “system QB” have actually watched him and not just making generic comments. If you have watched him, I doubt you’d be saying that. His accuracy is unlike any other college QB ever. How is that a “system QB?” His ability to scramble when the pocket breaks down and he runs for 15 yards has nothing to do with the offensive scheme. It’s 100% JB improvising and making something happen.

I’m not saying he will be a HOFer before he even enters the NFL. But there really isn’t anything else you could expect in a QB prospect. These people saying he has a weak arm are just reciting what they have heard pundits say on TV.

I really don’t see how these points can be argued with. Great post.

Reply/Quote

Dan Wilkinson - Did well

Thoughts??
I think a lot of Bengals fans are OSU fans and have not been watching a lot of SEC games.  Once they watch Burrow and LSU win it all, they will change their minds.
Reply/Quote