Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rosenthal's predictions for sneaky-good offenses in 2020
https://www.nfl.com/videos/rosenthal-s-sneaky-good-offense-predictions-for-2020

Start at 1:15

I'll take it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 06:33 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/videos/rosenthal-s-sneaky-good-offense-predictions-for-2020

I'll take it.

Must be dead link.  All I got was a black screen, where the video should have been.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Must be dead link.  All I got was a black screen, where the video should have been.

It takes a minute to load for some reason.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
If we can stay healthy this team may surprise
Reply/Quote
Yeah it's all about Joe getting reps, players staying healthy, and coaching. The talent is definitely there. I think Burrow has the ability to make the line better but again, he needs those reps.

Reply/Quote
The link behaved oddly for me as well.  3 refreshes later it started working.  

He talked up the weapons and the depth at WR and RB.  Not a ton of meat on the bone for fans who know the roster, but still refreshing to hear.  Let's hope that there's some development in the OL and TE rooms to accompany what should be a good WR room.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 06:33 PM)kdgjr Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/videos/rosenthal-s-sneaky-good-offense-predictions-for-2020

I'll take it.

Link worked just fine for me. Have to agree if all those weapons can stay healthy. But that and Burrow getting the proper 
amount of reps is the question along with O-line play. One thing about Burrow along with many things is the way he can 
move a pocket with his awareness and his ability to make an O-line look better than it actually is.

But bottom line those are a bunch of weapons for Burrow to choose from and we still don't know what we have with Drew
Sample. Sounds like we are going to use that LSU/Sean Peyton Offense that Burrow is so comfortable with as well.
Reply/Quote
Their is numbers to support that Burrow is coming into a,wealth of talent

Well AJ is AJ. He automatically gets the other teams #1 CB.
Tyler Boyd is a top 5 slot WR. Having 2 1,000 receiving seasons with garbage at QB in 2 years
Is a feat unto itself

Auden Tate was top 10 in AFC in % of catches going for 1st downs
John Ross had 12 catches over 20 plus yds and 78.4 % of his catches went for 1st downs

I don't have any info on Erickson or Sample other than both had a combined 0 TDS
Last year
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2020, 01:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Auden Tate was top 10 in AFC in % of catches going for 1st downs 

This is a completely meaningless stat.

Receiver "A"...5 targets, 4 catches, 2 first downs...…...only 50% of catches go for first down.

Receiver "B"...5 targets, 1 catch, 1 first down...……...100% of receptions go for first down.

How is "B" better than "A"?

Since Tate was DEAD LAST (minimum 40 catches) among all WRs in catch percentage his "first downs per target" is probably pretty low.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2020, 01:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Their is numbers to support that Burrow is coming into a,wealth of talent

Well AJ is AJ. He automatically gets the other teams #1 CB.
Tyler Boyd is a top 5 slot WR. Having 2 1,000 receiving seasons with garbage at QB in 2 years
Is a feat unto itself

Auden Tate was top 10 in AFC in % of catches going for 1st downs
John Ross had 12 catches over 20 plus yds and 78.4 % of his catches went for 1st downs

I don't have any info on Erickson or Sample other than both had a combined 0 TDS
Last year

That's an.... interesting... view on things.

Somehow we've reached the "reality" where AJ Green hasn't played in a year and a half, John Ross is a bust, and the TEs are extremely underwhelming and that's considered a "wealth of talent" but meanwhile Andy Dalton is "garbage at QB".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like the way this team is building.I’m probably more optimistic than most about this team.Yes there are some areas that could be improved on,as with any team,but I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if they exceed expectations.
Reply/Quote
I don't have any doubts that Burrow will be able to connect with all the receivers except for Ross. Ross's speed is on a different level, so you have to time it differently with him. If Burrow can connect with Ross, especially if/when Ross gets past the DBs and can be hit in stride, that's the X factor right there.

I'd love to see something like this (Jared Goff to Brandin Cooks deep in stride = TD) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhBSZoYXr0
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2020, 10:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't have any doubts that Burrow will be able to connect with all the receivers except for Ross. Ross's speed is on a different level, so you have to time it differently with him. If Burrow can connect with Ross, especially if/when Ross gets past the DBs and can be hit in stride, that's the X factor right there.

I'd love to see something like this (Jared Goff to Brandin Cooks deep in stride = TD) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjhBSZoYXr0

Clever selection you chose for demonstration purposes.  I believe that was our boy, Trae Waynes that got toasted on that play. LOL

But yeah, that's the sort of thing that we've been hoping to see on a somewhat regular basis, since Ross was drafted.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2020, 04:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is a completely meaningless stat.

Receiver "A"...5 targets, 4 catches, 2 first downs...…...only 50% of catches go for first down.

Receiver "B"...5 targets, 1 catch, 1 first down...……...100% of receptions go for first down.

How is "B" better than "A"?

Since Tate was DEAD LAST (minimum 40 catches) among all WRs in catch percentage his "first downs per target" is probably pretty low.
I am willing to donate $5 toward a Tate jersey for Fred if anyone else is in. As soon as I read the stat I new Fred was about to follow. You crack me up Fred but your getting to predictable.
Reply/Quote

I'll take it.

Thanks for sharing.  I think he is dead on...and he didn't even mention how Uzomah started to come on and Sample's potential.  

For me, the single greatest thing for this offense beyond the return of Green will be having the backs more involved in the passing game.  We have the players for it, and it is time to further spread defenses out and make them account for the RBs.  
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2020, 10:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Clever selection you chose for demonstration purposes.  I believe that was our boy, Trae Waynes that got toasted on that play. LOL

But yeah, that's the sort of thing that we've been hoping to see on a somewhat regular basis, since Ross was drafted.

When we did see it with Ross, they were almost always a bit underthrown.  Now, some of that could be attributed to a lack of a pocket to step up in to, but there were several times where Ross came back for the ball, and then turned back upfield.  

With respect to Tate, who seems to be a bit of a firestarter around here, remember that it was ZT's first year with all the players.  He didn't know (nor did we, really) what we had in Tate.  After determining his strengths, I could see a package where Tate is used both in Red Zone and 3rd down scenarios.  I am not trying to say Tate would be the primary receiver, but routes could be designed where he is placed according to his strengths.  Although he gets torn down for his speed, and catch %, I think he has shown in most recent history that he has incredible catch radius and very good hands.  

Ross was used primarily to stretch the field and take the proverbial top off the defense.  This may seem like a waste of a #9 overall pick (especially considering Mahommes was #10....ouch), but I think ZT showed he planned on using more of Ross last year and before injuries (again), it seemed to be working.  I have said many times that we have only had a handful of games where both Ross and Green were on the field.  If memory serves, they went 5-1 in those games and the defense was pathetic.  

Spreading out teams and attacking with multiple threats has been a staple for a few teams that have very cerebral QBs that can make quick decisions and also have the pocket awareness to maneuver around until someone breaks free.  Green Bay with Rogers and New Orleans with Brees are the first two to come to mind.  I believe the Bruce Arians offense was the same way with pitt, AZ, and now Tampa.  He needed a more cerebral QB.  

I don't mean to make it sound like Dalton wasn't a very cerebral QB, as he was, but the years of poor protection of late got him a little antsy and he would get the ball out quickly.  The offense was kind of designed for it since the line play was so poor.  But Dalton tended to always bail to his right and half the field disappeared from broken plays.

Enter Joe Burrow.  The guy flat out attacks the middle of the field.  Wherever there is a weakness, he will attack it.  He is so adept at moving in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.  I, frankly, have not seen the likes of what he did in college....ever.  It wasn't some gimmick run-and-shoot type offense, it was an NFL style, 0 man protection and he flat out dominated teams that no one else could solve.  He is the straw that is going to stir the drink.  

They have weapons, they have the QB, and they have massive improvements on all levels of the defense.  The only question I (and so many) have is:  Can the offensive line hold up?  I am going to say yes, as it will help them by having more four man fronts to defend with the number of targets going out in a pattern.  I have full faith in the coaching staff.  People may question why, but I feel like the adjustments and improvements we saw down the stretch last year WITHOUT improvements in personnel earned my respect.  

Who Dey, my friends.  The universe might have thrown us a pandemic, but the Bengals are ready to roll.  
Reply/Quote