Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have 'strong money' on table for Dre
Picture this, Cincy knows the threshold for the 3rd round comp was just above 8M since they just missed with the MJ lions deal. How much you want to bet Dre has 8M/yr take it or leave it on the table? Not solid money, but with a deep draft and the cut vet tire kick we will hear about I bet that's what is there.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's my questions and I'm just spitballing here. Did the Bengals not know he was going to be a free agent this year? They know they could have been negotiating with him before now, right? Was waiting until other teams could throw money at him the best plan? We decided to let him negotiate with competent front offices and contenders who will actually spend money for talent why?

My head hurts.

It's the Mikey Brown effect and I see that it's worn off on Marvin Lewis. Our O-line stunk up the NFL last year and then we hear Marvin saying how it isn't a problem. Wow!

I'm convinced that moronicness is a contagious disease and Mikey has been putting his nose all over the place and infecting the coaches. Paul Alexander has been there the longest and he's the most infected. Marvin is next and he's clearly infected as well. Hue Jackson go out, so did Zimmer (who seem immune to stupidity).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:32 PM)phil413 Wrote: Picture this, Cincy knows the threshold for the 3rd round comp was just above 8M since they just missed with the MJ lions deal.  How much you want to bet Dre has 8M/yr take it or leave it on the table?  Not solid money, but with a deep draft and the cut vet tire kick we will hear about I bet that's what is there.

The threshold will be higher next year as contracts get bigger. All three, Whit, Dre and Zeitler will be offered more than $9M each.

But I do see your logic. Mikey Brown could be playing for 3 3rd round comp picks next year, if you are allowed that many. There is a limit I'm pretty sure. The NFL figures that if you are stupid enough to lose a bunch of top guys then you don't deserve a bunch of top comp picks.

The thing about comp picks is that you don't get them this year, so you lose the player's service for a whole year, then you get to select a rookie in the mid-to-late rounds and those guys are rarely ready to go year one, so you actually lose out for two years.

Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who thinks that the players on this team are starting to want to get the hell out of Cincinnati, because they can see the writing on the wall that this team will never get to the Super bowl.
I can see the repeat of history now back to the 90's with bad offensive line play!
Reply/Quote
Good news is that apparently the Steelers "won't go over 10 million per" on DreKirk.

Bad news is that DreKirk is going to get over 10 million per most likely.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The threshold will be higher next year as contracts get bigger. All three, Whit, Dre and Zeitler will be offered more than $9M each.

But I do see your logic. Mikey Brown could be playing for 3 3rd round comp picks next year, if you are allowed that many. There is a limit I'm pretty sure. The NFL figures that if you are stupid enough to lose a bunch of top guys then you don't deserve a bunch of top comp picks.

The thing about comp picks is that you don't get them this year, so you lose the player's service for a whole year, then you get to select a rookie in the mid-to-late rounds and those guys are rarely ready to go year one, so you actually lose out for two years.

Of coarse the threshold will go up just like the rags, but they'll want to push an offer for someone else to top.  So they'll either push the other team to actually sign him for comp pick range or keep the player with no UFA option to replace him.  So maybe an 8.5M yr offer but he takes a 9M one (bonuses being relative) and Cincy gets the pick. I'm not suggesting it's a good standard to take but can't you see Paulie pleading at Miley to keep a good corner so they can go front 7 heavy and Mike asking him to trust their system?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:46 PM)phil413 Wrote: Of coarse the threshold will go up just like the rags, but they'll want to push an offer for someone else to top.  So they'll either push the other team to actually sign him for comp pick range or keep the player with no UFA option to replace him.  So maybe an 8.5M yr offer but he takes a 9M one (bonuses being relative) and Cincy gets the pick. I'm not suggesting it's a good standard to take but can't you see Paulie pleading at Miley to keep a good corner so they can go front 7 heavy and Mike asking him to trust their system?

I can see that 100%. If Paulie buys it then he's stupid. He may not be given a choice though.

Mikey just loves those comp picks, but I'm not sure one of them has turned into a pro-bowler for us.

Reply/Quote
Meh. It's Dre. He's alright but nothing to write home about.

I'll never forgive this team for drafting him over Decastro. We desperately needed OL help then and we need it now. But of course, let's just focus on the DB's
Reply/Quote
If having strong money on the table is true then let's bump it a tab and get Logan Ryan. Better than dre, younger than pac man, who we then cut. Easy
Reply/Quote
Interesting that we seem to want to keep one of the three and it's a corner, in a corner rich draft, while we don't seem to bother with the OL and it's a weak OL draft.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's the Mikey Brown effect and I see that it's worn off on Marvin Lewis. Our O-line stunk up the NFL last year and then we hear Marvin saying how it isn't a problem. Wow!

I'm convinced that moronicness is a contagious disease and Mikey has been putting his nose all over the place and infecting the coaches. Paul Alexander has been there the longest and he's the most infected. Marvin is next and he's clearly infected as well. Hue Jackson go out, so did Zimmer (who seem immune to stupidity).
Yeah, they got out but the stink went with them.  Look what Hue is in.  And Zimmer's playoff loss was exactly like a Marvin loss.  Sanu took it with him to Atlanta.  It took longer to rear its ugly head.  Getting out is not necessarily gonna be any better once the stink is on you.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
There are 14 corners in this year's draft that are highly rated. The best draft in years why are we going hard for Dre. He's okay. Nothing special.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good news is that apparently the Steelers "won't go over 10 million per" on DreKirk.

To be fair, around $10 million a year for CB isn't that bad when you look at players in that range.

Such as Sean Smith, Byron Maxwell, Jimmy Smith, Robert Alford, Vontae Davis, Brandon Flowers, and Aqib Talib.

I'd take Kirkpatrick over most of those players. Not all, but most.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:23 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: There are 14 corners in this year's draft that are highly rated.  The best draft in years why are we going hard for Dre. He's okay.  Nothing special.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think the team isn't going to exercise its 5th year option on Dennard.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I can see that 100%. If Paulie buys it then he's stupid. He may not be given a choice though.

Mikey just loves those comp picks, but I'm not sure one of them has turned into a pro-bowler for us.

Forget Pro Bowler, I think only one of them has even turned into a particularly *good* player.

Started up a list, then expanded it, and realized it was probably best off made into a thread. Needless to say, it's not pretty.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Forget Pro Bowler, I think only one of them has even turned into a particularly *good* player.

Started up a list, then expanded it, and realized it was probably best off made into a thread. Needless to say, it's not pretty.

Yeah, It should be a thread. We could drag it out every time someone boasts how great Mikey's strategy has been.

Hell, Jim should write a whole column on it!  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:14 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Here's my questions and I'm just spitballing here. Did the Bengals not know he was going to be a free agent this year? They know they could have been negotiating with him before now, right? Was waiting until other teams could throw money at him the best plan? We decided to let him negotiate with competent front offices and contenders who will actually spend money for talent why?

My head hurts.

Exactly! We build through the draft but rarely plan for the future. They tell us we are looking towards the future by building a young team with the draft rather than FA but when the rookie contracts are up on the good ones, thats it. This team is always building for the future and never to win now. WHY? cause its the cheap way to do things. Its been 30 damn years, the future has came and gone several times. This franchise is so damn frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good news is that apparently the Steelers "won't go over 10 million per" on DreKirk.

Feels like steelers are intentionally driving the price up for us. 

Getting a little too rich for my liking. 

None of these free agent deals reported seem crazy. Maybe the FB to SF. 

Was hoping reasonable prices would stay common.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Im going to answer these questions 

Yes,  they did negotiate, actually still under signing window, last time i checked players are not robots and actually have souls and brains to make that decision on their own.. called a Free Market  

Agreed, but I think we have to account for the question of the message Whit took from the Bengals' decisions in the 2015 draft. OTs in both the first and second rounds. For all of our self-proclaimed loyalty, WTF was that? Who else was available at those picks in 2015 that could have helped us more than Ced O. and Fisher? That would be interesting (i.e., depressing) to look at. But again, I understand Whit not being automatic "Mr. Loyalty" with the Bengals.  I think he got a message from that. I'm sure he understood it from a business perspective. They let Andre Smith leave. They had to replace him. Whit's contract was up at the end of the year. They took what they perceived to be the best talent available that would meet their most pressing perceived need. Or was it also not a bit opportunistic? They could save money by replacing two really good vets with two "top" rookies. Boy, did they misjudge that talent. Or, as some of us believe, does a portion of the blame go to PA for his inability to coach up run blockers or blockers period?  Now, our two best OLinemen are considering leaving. For money. Or is it only money? Do any NFL Players share any sense of mutual loyalty, or is it really "just a business?" From a fan's point of view, I think it sucks. I think free agency, players' salaries, owners profits, and other things have gotten way out of hand. We think of them as our team, but do they think of us as their fans? Why would they? Just because we support them both psychologically and financially? Some do, I'm sure, but all is not well at PBS. I hope I'm wrong. I mean, why wouldn't Whit want to sign one more contract with the Bengals and then retire a Bengal? It makes no sense to me. He's the team leader, or A team leader. Is it really just about the money or has the locker room broken down? What would his leaving do to the locker room? I really do want to think he'll re-sign soon, but I think it sends a message to the fans and his teammates that he could be interested in signing elsewhere. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 12:13 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Interesting that we seem to want to keep one of the three and it's a corner, in a corner rich draft, while we don't seem to bother with the OL and it's a weak OL draft.

........and we already have a crap ton of young CBs on the roster that are at least serviceable.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote