Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals have to take Chase Young
(11-23-2019, 04:43 PM)Trademark Wrote: If we get the number one pick you gotta go Chase Young. Dude is a once in a lifetime elite talent. Go QB later, this is coming from a Michigan fan too. Dude is absolutely elite

I agree.  Look, ESPN, CBS, the FOX announcers all say Chase Young is the best player in college football.  

I see what they are saying.  He is fast, gets in on many plays.  Makes the big plays.  He is a GAME CHANGER.  He is what Bill Parcel called a GAME CHANGER and he said there were only a few of those in NFL.  This Chase Young looks like he could be a Defensive Game Changer like a Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith or Dwight Freeney.  What I like is he has that speed to get to the plays that Tony Dungy built defenses on. 

He is an edge rusher mostly.  Some might say we have Dunlap already.  Dunlap and Atkins are getting older.  Their contracts have them in Cincy next season and beyond.   You add Chase Young to Dunlap and Atkins in our Front 7 and this Defense should go from Bad to Great.  

I'm also for taking a LB in 2.   We haven't taken a top LB in forever. 

You add Chase Young and one of the first LBs taken in early 2, and this D gets a major upgrade in talent. 

In 3 and 4 then I would want O Line.  We need help very much there, and some good blockers in 3 and 4.  

This is NOT touch football.  Get some monsters on D and O Line where Bengals are Weak. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The fact is, that this is one of those years where if your team plays the draft right, you can have both the Franchise QB and an elite Pass Rusher.  I'm saying that they should go for Burrow or Herbert, then make the moves to ensure that Curtis Weaver is their next selection.  

Weaver is nearly physically identical to Young, just as aggressive and dominating, with similar numbers.  The only reason people are so enamored with Chase Young specifically?  Is because they see him on their TV screens every Saturday, Weaver plays out West and doesn't get much face time in this half of the Nation.

You aren't really comparing Weaver to Young, are you?? Young is 2 inches taller (6'5), faster, quicker off the ball,  has more hip flexibility and bend around the edge AND has put up his numbers against far superior talent than Weaver has. Weaver may end up being a decent pass rusher in the NFL, but he's nowhere near the level of Chase Young. And no, I'm not a Buckeye homer either.  
Reply/Quote
I'm really torn between drafting Burrow or Young. I was all in on Burrow, but Young is just so dominant. Add a pass rusher of his caliber to the defense and it instantly helps some deficiencies, but it wouldn't solve the glaring issues at LB, and that HAS to be addressed in order for the defense to improve. Adding Young won't matter nearly as much if they can't stop the run and get teams into passing downs where he can really get after the QB.

On the flip side, if we are going to draft Burrow, there has to be a plan to significantly upgrade the O-line. Getting a healthy Jonah Williams will be like having an extra 1st round pick next year. Can we get something out of Cordy Glenn the remainder of the year that makes us feel like he can be a part of the line next year? The guard spots MUST be upgraded. The RT spot MUST be upgraded. Can Glenn fill one of those spots? He has 6 games to show it.

I'm starting to think we have to decide which side of the ball we want to try to fix first. If we draft Young, then go all in on fixing the defense first so we can get the most out of his abilities immediately. If we draft Burrow, then go all in on fixing the O-line so the kid isn't shell-shocked and can be helped in year 1 with a running game and solid pass protection.

The bottom line I think is either way this team decides to go, they aren't going to win next year, but I think with the right plan they can make huge strides toward being much more competitive in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 09:21 AM)Fullrock Wrote: You aren't really comparing Weaver to Young, are you?? Young is 2 inches taller (6'5), faster, quicker off the ball,  has more hip flexibility and bend around the edge AND has put up his numbers against far superior talent than Weaver has. Weaver may end up being a decent pass rusher in the NFL, but he's nowhere near the level of Chase Young. And no, I'm not a Buckeye homer either.  

Good catch on the height difference, I had not realized that Young had that much more frame to grow into.  Like I've stated previously, I really like Chase Young's game, and the energy he brings.  I've been asked what it is about him that I don't like, for my reasoning of not wanting the Bengals to take him with the top pick.  There's nothing about his game that I don't like, I'd love to see him on my favorite team.  However, I just feel like when your team is so bad that they're picking at the top of the draft, you need to select the player who's going to make the greatest impact on improving your franchise.  In the NFL, it's the QB.

Again, I'm not discounting Chase Young, when I point to Curtis Weaver.  I've watched Weaver play enough to know that he's also likely going to do well in the NFL.  He's a 3rd year starter, been impressive since day 1, and has shown steady improvement every season.  He's got 34 sacks, to go along with 120 tackles, 6 passes defended, 3 forced fumbles and an INT.  I don't have any numbers for QB hurries, but I can assure you that he get's plenty of them.  His team is 10-1 this season, and he's every bit as vital to his team's success as Chase Young is to the Buckeyes.  You say that he's playing against inferior competition, and there may be some truth to that.  Two years ago, this same BSU defense produced Leighton Vander Esch, and some eyebrows were raised when the Cowboys took him in the middle of the 1st, overlooking LBs from "big name" schools. 

If the Bengals go QB at the top of the draft, like they should, then Curtis Weaver would certainly be worth taking at the top of the 2nd, or even moving back into the back half of the 1st for.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Draft chase young then grab Eason in the second. Problem solved. Get ur pieces in place and then bring in ur qb. Draft young the draft Eason. Make that happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 05:24 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Draft chase young then grab Eason in the second.  Problem solved.  Get ur pieces in place and then bring in ur qb.  Draft young the draft Eason.  Make that happen.

He may not declare.  The guy has one of the best arms that I've ever seen, but needs work on his footwork and decision making.  Maybe the Tua injury spurs him to come out.  Maybe he stays for a year to improve his chances at being a first rounder.  Trying to take Eason or even Tua in the second is an interesting play.  

Right now I have Burrow at 1A and Young at 1B.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 06:25 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Even if he's a J.J. Watt, Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers level talent, we still won't win without an elite QB (as they didn't). Secure the future of the team with QB while you can. Get the impact defenders once your team is established.

Even Michael Strahan couldn't win a Super Bowl until Eli Manning came around.

Get the can't miss guy right now. We can gamble on a QB later then. None of these QBs are can't miss franchise guys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 08:13 PM)jason Wrote: Get the can't miss guy right now. We can gamble on a QB later then. None of these QBs are can't miss franchise guys.

Draft Chase Young with the first pick. I don’t want the Bengals to have to play against him.
Reply/Quote
Take Chase then grab tua in the 2nd where he will probably fall to if he clears medical and declares.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 09:31 PM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Take Chase then grab tua in the 2nd where he will probably fall to if he clears medical and declares.

That’s not a bad idea but I would ask Jonah Williams about Tua Tagovailoa because they played in Alabama together.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 04:43 PM)Trademark Wrote: If we get the number one pick you gotta go Chase Young. Dude is a once in a lifetime elite talent. Go QB later, this is coming from a Michigan fan too. Dude is absolutely elite

AGREE, 100%.   DE is a spot we are good at but I'd move someone to LB.   Anthony Gordon ( Wash St.) is less hyped but his numbers are  BETTER than Burrows or Tua. The Bengals took guys rd 1 who FAILED.   Akilii Smith, Klingler,Jack Thompson..........NONE panned out.  Our Best?  Ken Anderson and Boomer... NOT rd 1

Chase Young is a BEAST.  I'd look at which, Hubbard or young ,can thrive at LB.  Sam  was an All State SAFETY in HS.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 09:31 PM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Take Chase then grab tua in the 2nd where he will probably fall to if he clears medical and declares.

I'd like that. But the O-line has to be improved somehow.
Reply/Quote

That would be nice, but if Tua does clear the medical checks, I don't see any way he falls that far. Someone would take the risk before we got another shot.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2019, 08:23 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I’d rather have jake fromm. Or a top qb next year. Regardless who we pick we’re winning maybe 2 games next year.

Fromm is dalton 2.0. No and no
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 08:55 AM)kevin Wrote: I agree.  Look, ESPN, CBS, the FOX announcers all say Chase Young is the best player in college football.  

I see what they are saying.  He is fast, gets in on many plays.  Makes the big plays.  He is a GAME CHANGER.  He is what Bill Parcel called a GAME CHANGER and he said there were only a few of those in NFL.  This Chase Young looks like he could be a Defensive Game Changer like a Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith or Dwight Freeney.  What I like is he has that speed to get to the plays that Tony Dungy built defenses on. 

He is an edge rusher mostly.  Some might say we have Dunlap already.  Dunlap and Atkins are getting older.  Their contracts have them in Cincy next season and beyond.   You add Chase Young to Dunlap and Atkins in our Front 7 and this Defense should go from Bad to Great.  

I'm also for taking a LB in 2.   We haven't taken a top LB in forever. 

You add Chase Young and one of the first LBs taken in early 2, and this D gets a major upgrade in talent. 

In 3 and 4 then I would want O Line.  We need help very much there, and some good blockers in 3 and 4.  

This is NOT touch football.  Get some monsters on D and O Line where Bengals are Weak. 

Bengals don't have the coaching prowess to turn a mid-round OL into a good player.
They either have to have a 1st rounder who is ready or an established guy.
They won't pay the money to properly get an established guy via outside FA.

You might say, "What about Trey Hopkins?!" Well, Hopkins came into the league in 2014. It's taken him all these years to finally amount to something. Do people really want to wait 5 years for the rest of the OL to (maybe) finally come along? I don't.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Yeah I wouldn't take any of those qbs with the 1st pick. Go BPA
Reply/Quote
It amazes me that so many people on here think that Chase Young has no chance of being just a good player and not this 2nd coming of Reggie White.

Suh was held in the same regard. Heisman hype, can't miss, have to draft DT. Generational guy. He turned out to be a very good player, but not anywhere near the savior he was projected to be.

Both Burrow and Young are rated as top 5 guys. You can't go wrong with either. IF you feel Burrow is a franchise guy, there's truly no discussion on who to take.
Reply/Quote

I don't like to make absolute statements, but there is zero chance Tua gets out of the top 5 if he clears medicals.  If he doesn't, he's undraftable anyway.
Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander was on Sirius yesterday and PK asked him: If you had the first pick in the draft and Chase Young and Johnathan Ogden were both coming out who would you take. PA said Chase without hesitation. PA said he was at the PSU/OSU game and you really have to see him in person. He said one of his strongest traits is his leadership. He pointed out when other players on the D made plays. they searched out Chase to celebrate with him instead of the other way around. he said the respect is obvious.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Draft chase young the see how the rest comes to you. But u gotta take young.
Reply/Quote